Not about writing, but about reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HourglassMemory

Registered
Reaction score
I have the opportunity of having a book I want for free, in audio form.
but I also like reading, the physical act of holding the book and all of that. And I know where I could get them really cheap.
And I like augmenting my collection in my shelves.
It's a classic, but even so I would like to have it on my shelf, but then I have it read for free.

How would you go about this?

I see more advantages on having the audio, which I can carry and so on, but then I don't have my book on my collection and instead of not being visible on the shelves, it's in my computer.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Why? Don't you ever re-read books? And you've indicated that one of the purposes of buying the book is to have it visible in your print library.

HourglassMemory

Registered
Reaction score
Why? Don't you ever re-read books? And you've indicated that one of the purposes of buying the book is to have it visible in your print library.
As of today I haven't re-read a single book I have read once.
I guess I will buy the book instead.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't re-read, either.

My reasoning: if I know what's going to happen, I can't bring myself to get interested in the book. (I also don't re-watch movies.)

Heard Michael Dirda on the radio Sunday quoting Oscar Wilde: "If you can't read a book a second time, it isn't worth reading the first time."

I appreciate that comment, but I'm someone who reads for plot. I love stories -- and more specifically, I love surprising stories. If there is no surprise, then I can't muster up the concentration to stay with a book.

Besides, I find something new almost every week that I'm interested in at the bookstore.

RickN

Registered
Reaction score
I grew up in a family of readers. Dad and I re-read books all the time, but my mother never has. Now, at the ripe middle-age of *cough-cough*, I own thousands of books and my mother owns a bagful of books for trade at the used book store.

I think she's odd this way, but she's my mom and I'd have to beat upon the head and shoulders of anyone who criticized her.

HourglassMemory

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think the fact that I haven't re-read any books is that incredible for an 18 year old who is in constant book buying mode.

Lady Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
randomwriterlythoughts.blogspot.com
:Jaw:

I can't imagine not re-reading books I've enjoyed! And you can't get away with the age excuse with me either. When my daughter was 18 I had to replace a couple of her favorite fantasy trilogies because she'd read the books so many times they were falling apart.

Will Lavender

Registered
Reaction score
:Jaw:

I can't imagine not re-reading books I've enjoyed! And you can't get away with the age excuse with me either. When my daughter was 18 I had to replace a couple of her favorite fantasy trilogies because she'd read the books so many times they were falling apart.

Not sure why it's a bad thing to not reread books. I didn't reread as a kid, don't as an adult. Just doesn't interest me for some reason. Not sure why. Maybe it's the same reason I don't buy DVDs. I can't imagine having a shelf of films that I've already seen.

I have a 4500-book collection. Last year I spent over $3000 in books. (I know that for tax purposes.) So I'm an avid reader to say the least -- I just want to discover new books, not rediscover old ones, I suppose.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
No, it's not pirated.
But, once I heard it....It would seem kinda pointless to buy the book :D

Reading a book and listening to it, to me, are two different things. I don't usually like listening to books, but I've done that a few times while going on a long drive... it's a good alternative to listening to music. But I still prefer reading it. To me, they work on different parts of my brain...

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
Really? I have favorites that are read every year or two. I'd never be able to do without my groaning bookshelves.
Linnea

Same here.. one of them is The Diary of Anne Frank. I've re-read that one every year since childhood. It always leaves me feeling.. I love to re read books that make me feel.

I can't imagine not re-reading.

Dale Emery

is way off topic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dalehartleyemery.com
I see more advantages on having the audio, which I can carry and so on, but then I don't have my book on my collection and instead of not being visible on the shelves, it's in my computer.

It sounds as if there is some value in having a paper copy visible in your collection, even if you aren't going to re-read it. Maybe it's a nice reminder of what you've read, or a kind of living catalog, or a nice display for friends and family. Seems reasonable to me.

So the question is: How much does that matter to you?

If it matters enough, listen to the audio and buy a paper copy for your collection.

If it doesn't matter that much, just listen to the audio and don't worry about a paper copy for the collection.

Dale

Wrathman

Registered
Reaction score
When you read a book, you are given the opportunity to interpret what has been written any way you choose. When you have an audio book, you have given away that right to the person who is reading to you. I don't like having that taken from me, but I do enjoy the very rare occassion of listening to a book during a very long car trip.

Dichroic

that's di-CROW-ick
Registered
Reaction score
Website
riseagain.net
I don't think there's anything wrong with not rereading books, but it's certainly not a matter of age (as anyone who's read a favorite book over and over and over to a three-year-old will know). However, this is an intellectual position, not at all something I grok viscerally.

What I really don't get is the value of owning books for someone who doesn't reread, unless of course you don't have a good library nearby. (Or have some disposable income and choose to buy as a way of sending more money to your favorite authors. I can't quarrel with that!)

In fact, though I am a confirmed and inveterate rereader, I owned comparatively few books before leaving for college (maybe 30, including several inherited ones) because the library two blocks away was excellent. Two decades later and without good library access, that number has increased fiftyfold.

Will Lavender

Registered
Reaction score
What I really don't get is the value of owning books for someone who doesn't reread, unless of course you don't have a good library nearby.

It's the same reason anyone collects anything. The stamp collector may pull out his collection once a year -- but he is comfortable with the knowledge that he has them.

Personally I like rooms full of books, I like the bookness of books, their objectness, and of course I love the pleasure of experiencing the sheer shock of a story the first time through. I love the fact that I own my favorite books and can let others borrow them.

Dichroic

that's di-CROW-ick
Registered
Reaction score
Website
riseagain.net
"... the bookness of books"

I like that!

I don't think I think of my books as a collection, really, any more than I think of the windows in my house that way.

chartreuse

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score

So (and I don't mean this as criticism - I'm just trying to understand), the reason you keep books is so that you can have them on display for others, to show them what you like to read? In other words, it's all about showing off your tastes?

Do you ever give books away, or loan them out to others with no particular interest in getting them back?

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
So (and I don't mean this as criticism - I'm just trying to understand), the reason you keep books is so that you can have them on display for others, to show them what you like to read? In other words, it's all about showing off your tastes?
?

I can't imagine not re-reading the many, many books I own. I have always read books and re-read books, both from my own collection and from the library. There is a certain satisfaction in re-reading a book and often I find small details that were not as evident in the thrill of the first read.

When I was first married my MIL accused me of having a huge bookcase filled with triple rowed books as "show" but I was able to honestly tell her that yes, I had read every single one of them, most more than once. And the bookcase was only part of all the books I own.

HourglassMemory

Registered
Reaction score

Do you ever give books away, or loan them out to others with no particular interest in getting them back?
I could say that I like to show them off....for me. For my eyes. It's not for others.

do I give books away? No. I don't loan them either.
I'm very careful with my books and I like them straight and the less dirty they are the better.
I know this is probably from weird thing of mine, but that's just how I am.
I've loaned a few times and they always come back in a state which.... I don't like. :D

And I do get annoyed when people take a long time to read or they forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.