PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of The Screen? Avery Vs. Brodeur

KTC
04-15-2008, 01:48 AM
This really troubles me. I don't know why it wouldn't fall under the umbrella of UNSPORTSMAN-LIKE CONDUCT.

What thinks the other hockey fans out there?

The SCREEN (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1GW7hcpnoE)

Anthony Matias
04-15-2008, 01:54 AM
It sure seems chicken sh*t to me. Although there is no rule against it, I don't think it should be allowed and as the commentators said, it will more than likely be against the rules shortly.

Jongfan
04-15-2008, 01:57 AM
There used to be an unwritten respect for goalies or the other team members beat the hell out of you. I've seen a lot of things in all sports lately that have me saying WTF
To purposely block the vision of the goalie is Unsportsman like and classless..
Brodeur is my all time favorite goalie.

KTC
04-15-2008, 02:26 AM
That's kind of what I'm suggesting... it crosses the respect line. To me, that is a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. Why shouldn't it fall under that?

My son got one this season for dancing to the penalty box. He's a bit of a showoff on the ice. I saw him and I wanted to wring his neck. Respect is high on my priority list when it comes to hockey. Avery was showing 0 respect with those actions.

Anthony Matias
04-15-2008, 02:29 AM
I'd be curious to find out what he had to say about it and also what his coach and teammates thought. Do you think he was told to do this?

KTC
04-15-2008, 02:31 AM
I'd be curious to find out what he had to say about it and also what his coach and teammates thought. Do you think he was told to do this?

I would hope he wasn't. And it sure looked like one of his teammates went over to him and suggested that he stop. There is no honor in what he did. Cheap tricks are ugly.

Jongfan
04-15-2008, 02:38 AM
Brodeur is an amazing goalie, most players know the only way to get by him is top shelf.
Avery seemed to be trying to provoke him, almost wanting him to swing at him. Maybe he was told to draw him in, hoping to take focus off the game. Like you, I'd like to think it was not asked of him but today, you never know.

Congrats for you for not tolerating or condoning that action from your son. I lost respect for my other favorite goalie (Roy) when seeing he cheered his son on recently.

talps
04-15-2008, 02:40 AM

Not a chance. It's just typical Sean Avery jackass-ness. I mean Drury was actually trying to stop him during the flow of play.

Avery is the biggest antagonist in the whole league. And he's for sure not the brightest bulb on the tree.

ETA: ESPN just brought on Barry Melrose, who's reporting that today the NHL handed down a statement declaring that Avery's behavior will result in a penalty.

KTC
04-15-2008, 04:07 AM
I knew Grapes wouldn't like it. He just said on Coach's Corner that Avery was an idiot when he watched him back in Owen Sound and he's still an idiot. Good on ya, Grapes.

Anthony Matias
04-15-2008, 04:13 AM
ETA: ESPN just brought on Barry Melrose, who's reporting that today the NHL handed down a statement declaring that Avery's behavior will result in a penalty.

Good! The sport doesn't need that kind of crap.

KTC
04-15-2008, 05:37 AM
Good! The sport doesn't need that kind of crap.

Oh. And I second the Good!

talps
04-15-2008, 05:51 AM
Avery's just an idiot. Dude's got the IQ of his teeth.

aka eraser
04-15-2008, 06:32 AM
It was bush - and that's being kind. But the NHL agrees (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2008/04/14/avery-nhl-rule.html) - yay!

KTC
04-15-2008, 06:56 AM
Thanks much for the link. I knew it should have been under that umbrella. I'm glad to hear they put it there. It was disgusting.

ModoReese
04-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Coming late to this topic, but I'm a little surprised no one from the Devils leveled Avery. It would have been worth the penalty, IMO.

Michelle