MUST you have quiet when you write???!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upbeat

Banned
Reaction score
I thought so - until I turned on the music! - which simply makes the whole process that much better.
Still, another question remains.
If you must have quiet - or music - are you stuck - when unwanted noisy distractions interfere?
Needless to say, in today's noisy world, there's little escape from unwelcome sounds disturbing a train of thought as we write - unless we wear ear-plugs, OR, we are so strong of mind that nothing can stop us.
However writers with children would not wear earplugs.
Kids need attention from time to time.
Or, maybe you can write anytime - no matter what!

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on what I'm writing. Sometimes I like music, sometimes I like the quiet of the library, and sometimes I like the background noise at a coffee shop or restaurant. For me, what interferes with writing is music I don't like, music which is too loud, or other people's conversations which are too intrusive.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yes, it has to be quiet or my head fills with the song's lyrics (if I know them) or trying to make out the song's lyrics (if I don't know them) or my head fills with words describing the music if there aren't any lyrics. -sigh-

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Not really. My favorite place to write is coffeeshop, etc. I also like to have music in the background (playing over and over in loops). That's not to say once in a while I don't enjoy writing in the middle of the night when there's no other sound than that of my fingers tapping the keyboard.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I can't have music on when I write, but I don't need it to be quiet. I just need to be left alone. So I can write in a crowded setting and can tune everyone around me out, but I rarely can write when my children are home from school. They just want too much attention.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I forgot about chittering kiddies and background noise. Nope. Can't do that either. I've a bit of ADD, maybe.

Upbeat

Banned
Reaction score
TheIT - re/'depends on what I'm writing'.
That could be true of so many writers ! When it's internet music & something too crude or too loud comes on I can't move fast enough to turn down the volume - or off.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
TheIT - re/'depends on what I'm writing'.
That could be true of so many writers ! When it's internet music & something too crude or too loud comes on I can't move fast enough to turn down the volume - or off.

If I'm "in the zone", I could have a marching band stroll by the table and I wouldn't notice. If I'm having trouble with the scene, an ant's footsteps would be too loud. :D

choppersmom

---
Registered
Reaction score
I can't have anyone standing behind me.
I can't have anyone speaking to me, especially about inane drivel.
I can't allow any type of merriment at all anywhere near me.
And try not to breathe either.
Music is OK, if it's MY music.
TV is also OK.

Upbeat

Banned
Reaction score
Perks -re/ 'Yes, it has to be quiet or my head fills with the song's lyrics...'
Distracting, to say the least; snd it can do something more as it did here early this morning - though i hate to admit it. A song so good for dancing, came on while I typed away totally engrossed in doing so. What happened? Couldn't help myself. Stopped punching the keyboard - got up and danced around the room. No kidding! Felt good.
...sort of inspiring, in fact.

Bo Sullivan

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Hi!

The only music I would be able to listen to as I write, would be Mozart. The only problem would be that my train of thought would be directed towards what he might have been thinking about when he composed his music. Therefore, I prefer silence. Then I am left alone with my own thoughts.

Barb

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Roundtable for this thread???

Office Party=non-writing related stuff.

Last edited:

Upbeat

Banned
Reaction score
choppersmom - re/'and try not to breathe either'
All the rest of what you've said, I can understand; but I'm convinced that air - breathing - especially fresh air - is at least one key to revitalizing the sedentary writing process.

choppersmom

---
Registered
Reaction score
choppersmom - re/'and try not to breathe either'
All the rest of what you've said, I can understand; but I'm convinced that air - breathing - especially fresh air - is at least one key to revitalizing the sedentary writing process.

No no, I meant everyone else in the house. They have to be perfectly quiet and not disturb me at all. If they make noise when they breathe, then they're in big trouble!

Upbeat

Banned
Reaction score
Turkey Lurkey - re/'...I have two toddlers...'
Lucky you with that kind of distraction as well at least some time to write!

Upbeat

Banned
Reaction score
rhymegirl - In one way I know what you mean; however there few writers who can separate the rest of their lives from that activity.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Roundtable for this thread???

Office Party=non-writing related stuff.
Once again Kathy is on the ball, and she's right.

rhymegirl - In one way I know what you mean; however there few writers who can separate the rest of their lives from that activity.
I look forward to some of the writing-related threads that slip into Office Party from time to time. In fact, you have one there now that is enjoying plenty of activity. Technically, though, that forum is designed as a place where AW members gather to discuss topics other than writing. It's sort of like a cafe where we gather after work to talk about anything but our jobs.

In that respect, this thread is better suited for the Roundtable forum, so we'll see what the folks there can contribute to this discussion.

Perle_Rare

Dragon rider
Registered
Reaction score
If you must have quiet - or music - are you stuck - when unwanted noisy distractions interfere?

I can have absolute silence, noise or music. Doesn't matter. What I can't have is either of my kids talking to me or trying to involve me in what they're doing. My seven-year-old will play a game on his computer and do a running commentary on what he's doing and what's happening to anyone who cares to listen. The kid can't ever stop talking even for two minutes! That drives me up the wall!!! Eventually, I grit my teeth, grab my iPod and try to ignore him OR I give up altogether and find something else to do, which doesn't help increase my wordcount...

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I'm another one of those who needs quiet when they write.

The odd thing though, is that while I can't listen to music when I'm writing fiction, I enjoy listening to music when I'm writing non-fiction.

I'm assuming cuz they use different parts of my brain, though I don't really know.

When I'm writing fiction, I have to go there - literally in my mind - so music, lyrics, noise etc. can be a distraction. I have to become my characters, see the scenery, feel the senses and surroundings and also pay more attention to my word choice.

Not so much when I'm just writing my thoughts in an email, a post or an article.

Elliot Cowan

Publish Me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elliotelliotelliot.com
Here are my basic rules.
When I'm writing I like to have the music either on quietly or off altogether.
If the neighbours upstairs are being noisy then I turn my music up accordingly.
When I'm writing dialogue it must be off completely.
When I'm drawing I have the music on constantly and loudly.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Haven't got a problem with most sorts of noise. Music is fine, but the louder it is, the more lyrical my prose gets. Therefore, I try to avoid listening to music out of a respect for good taste.

I just realized I wrote about lyrical prose while discussing music. Ha. Ha. I kill me.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
My first job out of college was at a newspaper. Newsrooms are not typically quiet spaces. The police scanner was right next to my desk. I remember thinking, 'God, I really have to write here.' But with a deadline my first day on the job I made it work. Now, I can write under almost any conditions. I guess it's because I didn't have the luxury of choosing.

Status
Not open for further replies.