best nonfiction agents

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Who are the best agents for serious nonfiction? I have been researching this, but wondering if I might be leaving anyone out. Most of the agent talk on AW seems to be about fiction so I thought it might be useful to post here. I know all the places to look for agents, but I am hoping to hear from some of you and who you all think are the best. Thanks.

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
There is no such thing as a "non fiction agent." There are agents who do various kinds of non-fiction, but I don't think any would call themselves "non fiction agents."

You should be more specific, like "memoir agent," or an agent who places historical non fiction, or whatever.

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
My agent also represents my brother, and we've both had good success with memoir. But that does not make our agent a "non fiction agent." He does other work also. It often depends upon making a connection wiht an agent and catching each other's interest.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Hi John,
I think you misunderstood me. I was asking who the best agents are for serious nonfiction. That does not mean that has to be the only thing they take on. By serious nonfiction I mean books that have to do with politics, current events or timely social issues. I think there are some agents who specialize in nonfiction based on what I have heard about them, but maybe they are exceptions and you know more than me. When I look in the agent section of AW, it seems to be almost all fiction writers talking about their experiences. I was just looking for some thoughts from people who write nonfiction and might know more than me.
Also, I just have to add that you and your brother are both great!

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
John's right. The best way to identify agents who rep the kind of work you're interested in is to find that type of book and check for agent acknowledgments. You can do this at a bookstore, but it's also extremely easy to do at Amazon now (you can use "search inside" to look for the word "agent").

Sunnyside

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianjayjones.com
In my case, I went to the Association of Author's Representatives (AAR) website (http://www.aar-online.org/mc/page.do), and searched for agents who represented biography. I think there were about thirty in the AAR at that time (2005). But my agent doesn't represent just non-fiction, either -- I'm just one in a stable of authors in varying genres that he represents.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to thank all of you for posting. Everything you are saying makes sense. However, I was kind of wondering who you all thought the superstar agents were for nonfiction books. I don't know if that makes more sense. Anyway, it is not too important. I thought it would be kind of fun to talk about our dream agents, not about how to find them.

Dude in Hammock

Registered
Reaction score
Non-fiction Agent

I believe John Brockman (and his agents) only represent serious non-fiction books, and they're certainly among the best, if not the best. You can learn more about them at www.edge.com or simply by googling the name. Their list includes Pinker, Diamond, Sapolsky and many others.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
If you subscribe to Publisher's Marketplace there is a "who represents" function that tells you who's the agent of well-known authors. You can plug in some names and see. That's what I did (besides scanning the author's acknowledgments sections in books) and found it quite helpful. The best how-to book I've seen about the nonfiction writing process itself, including finding an agent, is Susan Rabiner's Thinking Like Your Editor.

Mr. Muckle

Registered
Reaction score
Who is your agent ...

If you subscribe to Publisher's Marketplace there is a "who represents" function that tells you who's the agent of well-known authors. You can plug in some names and see. That's what I did (besides scanning the author's acknowledgments sections in books) and found it quite helpful. The best how-to book I've seen about the nonfiction writing process itself, including finding an agent, is Susan Rabiner's Thinking Like Your Editor.

WHo is your agent?

Dandries

Are you talented? If you're talented I'll recommend my agent. I'm just afraid if I do everyone will email her at once and I know she already gets WAY to much query emails.

She only handles nonfiction. She got me a pretty good deal.
My book, btw, is The Secret of Success is Not a Secret.

Unfortunately, my book was so tight, there was no room for any sort of acknowledgments. I was lucky to get a one line dedication in. That's what happens when you write TOO much and they don't want to cut.

Darcy

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Am I talented? Hmmm... I might have to think about that one. LOL.

Darcy - If you want to send me a pm, I will give your agent a shot if I have not queried her already. I feel like I have gotten in touch with many of them. But I am always looking for good agents I may have overlooked. Thanks.

LGarcia2008

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tommygarcia.com
Hi - this website and forum is fantastic! Spending time reading and learning so thanks for those of you that share to enlighten and educate with your experience. I want to offer an edit - Mr Brockmans website is www.edge.ORG - hope this helps someone else.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, SHBueche. I queried him a while ago, but didn't get a response.

Status
Not open for further replies.