PDA

View Full Version : HEAD--The Monkees Movie

Celia Cyanide
04-14-2008, 06:56 PM
I first saw this film when I was 12 and found it fascinating. I watched it again recently and npticed a lot more going on, and it was still entertaining. It was by Bob Rafelson, the director of Five Easy Pieces. It was him, Jack Nicholson, and The Monkees who all got together and came up with the plot, even though it was Nicholson who got credited as screenwriter.

Has anyone else seen it?

Jim Colyer
04-14-2008, 09:02 PM
The Monkees only had one good song, "I'm A Believer," written by Neil Diamond.

maxmordon
04-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Saw it while ago, one of the oddest movies I have seen...

Celia Cyanide
04-14-2008, 10:05 PM

I like most of their music. I enjoy all three of the songs Neil Diamond wrote, as well as the ones by Carole King, and the ones the wrote themselves. This one is from HEAD, it's one of my favorites:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Py9g7e3gi60

Here is the trailer:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hRuO6y7X9HI

dpaterso
04-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Pffftt, says you. I'll admit there are some tracks on my Monkees Greatest Hits CD that I skip past, but Daydream Believer, Last Train to Clarksville, Girl I Knew Somewhere, I'm Not Your Steppin' Stone and Little Bit Me/A Little Bit You are frequent flyers. Added: not to mention Pleasant Valley Sunday, You Just May Be The One and Randy Scouse Git.

-Derek

Axler
04-14-2008, 11:34 PM
and Randy Scouse Git.

Don't you mean..."Alternate Title"?

Williebee
04-14-2008, 11:37 PM
Jim, Jim... Don't let the kiddie pop fool you.

Climb into a couple of the albums for the non-top 40 stuff.

As for Head? Only have one word for you:

dandruff, dandruff, dandruff, dandruff....

Celia Cyanide
04-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Jim, Jim... Don't let the kiddie pop fool you.

Climb into a couple of the albums for the non-top 40 stuff.

Exactly. There is much more to the Monkees than what you see at first glance. This movie proves it.

As for Head? Only have one word for you:

dandruff, dandruff, dandruff, dandruff....

That was great. I always liked Frank Zappa and his talking cow.

Tiger
04-15-2008, 02:01 AM
I rather liked "Auntie Griselda"

bluntforcetrauma
04-15-2008, 02:05 AM
Head....head...heh heh...head...head...sounds like my kinda flick.

Dawno
04-15-2008, 02:14 AM
Dang, now I have to go to iTunes and buy a bunch of Monkee's music for my iPod.

Esopha
04-15-2008, 05:27 AM
I love The Monkees. I had their greatest hits CD when I was in middle school... I own all the TV show seasons... I love 'em.

StephanieFox
04-15-2008, 06:09 AM
I loved the Monkees and I still do. Most of my friends sneer, but they're being snobs. They had great songs. But, I tried watching 'Head' and found it too disturbing. Not sure why.

Williebee
04-15-2008, 06:19 AM
I saw Peter Tork last summer at an arts festival. Played a number of the "oldies" and some fun new blues stuff.
The band is Shoe Suede Blues. (http://www.petertork.com/)

BenPanced
04-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Actually, I thought Head was a brilliant commentary on their time as a band. It made almost no sense until I found out more history on how they were assembled and the subsequent meltdown. The soundtrack has probably all of my favorite songs of theirs, especially "Circle Sky" and "The Porpoise Song". I like most of the album tracks that weren't released, as well. Probably because they aren't played every 45 seconds on "oldies" radio.

TRIVIA - One of the rumors circulating about the movie is it was titled the way it was so they could announce the sequel with "From the people that gave you HEAD..."

Celia Cyanide
04-15-2008, 07:56 PM
When I first saw HEAD, I didn't understand it at all, but I appreciated it the same way I appreciated "A Hard Days' Night." It was a band I liked, and I got to see them doing something I hadn't seen them do before, and it had their music in it. Watching it now, I find I understand it more.

On the TV show, the Monkees, as characters, were aware that they were on a sitcom, and they went right along with it. In HEAD, the Monkees are aware that they are fictional characters who do not exist. They do everything they can to escape the film. They run away, the destroy the scenery and props, they fight people, but EVERYTHING they do turns out to be part of the film, which they cannot escape. It reminds me of John-Paul Sartre's essence vs. existence philosophy.

Since this has become a discussion of the Monkees and their music, I found this petition to get the Monkees into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame:

http://www.petitiononline.com/monkees1/petition.html