Highway call boxes

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
Not sure if this is the correct thread so feel free to move it if necessary.

If you have traveled on the highway/interstate, at least in the States, you notice call boxes at the mile markers. I was wondering how they worked. Do you just pick it up and it connects you with emergency services or is it an actual phone and you have to know the number to dial. I have never used one and it didn't seem like a good idea just to try one to see how it worked.

It's going to be the focus of a short story I'm writing so it's important to know how one works. The person who is going to use it will be 6-8 years old so I'm hoping it kinda just connects you to emergency services.

Thanks in advance.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of them you just pick them up and it automatically connects, no dialing, no ringing. Could go to 9-1-1 or local state police barracks or highway department, depending on state. I'd talk to the state police in your area.

Most have numbers on them telling at what mile marker they are at. Instead of knowing you're in Puckerbrush, WY, you just tell them the number (it's a lot easier and more accurate to give mile markers than location, less chance to screw it up). So the person asking is not going to ask the kid where he is, he's going to ask him to read the information on the box.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Around here, picking up the handset not only dials the number automatically, but also sends a message to the linked video system, so the display on the controller's monitor defaults to the corresponding security camera.

This means that they can tell if you car is off the road properly, not on fire, etc

It would be different for different systems, but once there are security cameras available it would be silly not to combine the systems.

Mac

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
Thanks for the link RT. I have the idea of the call box working in a construction zone and it's not supposed too. That's what the signs say anyways.

Call boxes do not work in construction zones.

The four hour drive from Bradenton to Boca Raton really gives you time to think.

bunnygirl

Token Rabbit
Registered
Reaction score
I've never used a call box but be careful about your story setting-- not all places have them. They're almost as common as little white churches in New England but you can drive forever in West Texas and New Mexico without ever seeing one.