PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Cup Predictions

Pages : [1] 2

Silver King
04-14-2008, 01:28 AM
Anyone have their hearts set on which team will win The Cup this year? I was rooting for Tampa Bay all the way up until they ended up in last place. Now my cheers go out to Montreal. When they get past Boston, their trail won't be so easily laid out; and I worry about their young goalie's lack of experience in high-pressure situations. But overall, they have a solid team that can very well go all the way.

What's your prediction?

DWSTXS
04-14-2008, 01:43 AM
Dallas Stars

billythrilly7th
04-14-2008, 01:57 AM
Not the New York Rangers.

talps
04-14-2008, 03:03 AM
BRUINS!!!

*cough*

OK, maybe not.

I honestly have no idea this year. Hatred for both the Habs and the Rangers prevents me from commenting on how great they've looked thus far... I'll just leave it at that.

Jersey Chick
04-14-2008, 03:25 AM
Sorry, Billy... gotta support the team

GO RANGERS!!!!

:D

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb134/JerseyChick71/nyr.gif

DeborahM
04-14-2008, 03:49 AM
I agree with DWS! GO STARS!!

lkp
04-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Canadiens all the way!
Well, maybe not. It is kind of nice just to *say* it though.

KTC
04-14-2008, 03:22 PM
MONTREAL CANADIENS.

Haggis
04-14-2008, 03:34 PM
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/trophies/winners/PRT1995.jpg

KTC
04-14-2008, 03:36 PM
http://www.icebullshockey.com/chris/nhltol/logos300/mtl.png

Haggis
04-14-2008, 03:41 PM
http://www.taipeitimes.com/images/2007/04/30/20070429181900.jpeg

KTC
04-14-2008, 03:43 PM
SK,

Watching Price, though, is reminding me of watching Dryden in his first playoff season. He came from nowhere... no experience. I think he blew the hockey world away. Nobody knew a goalie could do that. Price is also incredible to watch.

KTC
04-14-2008, 03:44 PM
http://www.taipeitimes.com/images/2007/04/30/20070429181900.jpeg

I saw that. Grapes he is not.

ChunkyC
04-14-2008, 06:13 PM
I just can't root for a US based team while there are still Canadian teams in the playoffs. I'm a life-long Toronto Maple Leafs fan, so it's also extremely difficult to cheer for Montreal. So I'm rooting for the Ottawa Senators or Calgary Flames. Right now, the Sens ain't lookin' too good, but Calgary is playing great hockey.

jst5150
04-14-2008, 06:25 PM
Um, w00t. Go Wings!

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/trophies/winners/PRT1995.jpg

Haggis
04-14-2008, 06:32 PM
I just can't root for a US based team while there are still Canadian teams in the playoffs.

But when you think about it, they're all Canadian teams. I mean, except for the Russians, the Swedes, the Czechs...

aka eraser
04-14-2008, 06:37 PM
I've bled bleu, blanc et rouge since Maurice Richard was scaring goalies. I'd love to see a Habs/Flames final if only to see Gary Bettman pretend he was happy. The man has the sickest grin I've ever seen.

Can we PLEASE get somebody who knows and loves the game to be the next Commissioner?

I hope the Penguins and Caps meet at some point. They've got the most dynamic players in the game right now.

Silver King
04-14-2008, 06:42 PM
BRUINS!!!
There's still hope for your team, talps. They managed to win one last night.

SK,

Watching Price, though, is reminding me of watching Dryden in his first playoff season. He came from nowhere... no experience. I think he blew the hockey world away. Nobody knew a goalie could do that. Price is also incredible to watch.
Man, if that kid can play anything like Dryden did, they'd cancel the playoffs right now and hand The Cup to Montreal. ;) I do see similarities in their play and flashes of brilliance that are astounding to witness, but he has a ways to go before he can catch Dryden. For sure we'll know more as the playoffs progress so we can form a better opinion. For all we know, Price might be better than Dryden!

jst5150
04-14-2008, 06:50 PM
What, no Devils fans?

Good. :)

They sabotaged two Stanley Cups for the Wings.

"Clutching, grabbing, table for two, please!"

Sarita
04-15-2008, 12:04 AM
Not the New York Rangers.
Go Devils! :)

jst5150
04-15-2008, 12:07 AM
Oh, so THERE'S the lone Devil's fan.

I had such faith in you, Sara.

Alas ... ;)

Sarita
04-15-2008, 12:10 AM
You had faith that a Jersey girl was going to like someone other than the Devils? :)

Who doesn't like Martin Brodeur?

Haggis
04-15-2008, 12:21 AM
You had faith that a Jersey girl was going to like someone other than the Devils? :)

Who doesn't like Martin Brodeur?

*raises paw*

ModoReese
04-15-2008, 10:38 AM
I'll step up for the Flames, especially after their comeback against the Sharks the other night!

Little bit of love for the Stars as well.... ;-)

Michelle

mscelina
04-15-2008, 11:24 AM
My prediction for the Stanley Cup?

My prediction: By the time it finally gets down to the final, I'll be so bored with the whole darn thing that I really won't give a poot.

Olympics anyone? Oh, and if I have to pick, I guess it'd be the Red Wings.

talps
04-15-2008, 08:01 PM
There's still hope for your team, talps. They managed to win one last night.

...and there was much delirium, when we scored the OT goal that ended our 13 game losing streak to the Habs. And most weren't just losses - they were beatdowns! I'll still be shocked beyond sanity if they win the series... But then again, I'm still sorta shocked they're in the playoffs to begin with!

samgail
04-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Flames, baby! i think a Canadian team should win for sure.
My money is on the Habs to win it all.

KTC
04-15-2008, 08:14 PM
My money is on the Habs to win it all.

Oh, the bliss of that statement.

ChunkyC
04-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Well, there go the Senators. What a disappointment. They started the season 15-2 and looked like they were on track for a record setting season, then began to fall apart half way through. By the time the playoffs arrived, they were a shambles and barely made it in. So it's no surprise Sid the Kid and the Penguins gave them a spanking.

Big game tonight for the Flames. They can't let the Sharks take a 3-2 lead in the series, it would be really hard to win two in a row against them. Iggy and friends have to keep doing what they've been doing and not let the momentary lapse that cost them the last game get to them. Easier said than done, of course.

KTC
04-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Oh man. I have hated the Sens since they first took to the ice. I honestly tried to root for them in that series, but somewhere around game 2 I gave up. It's just not in me. I don't know why I hate them so much, I just do???

Montreal to win it tonight? Fingers crossed! Go, Carey, Go!

ChunkyC
04-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Flames / Habs final? I'd love it. The last time I rooted for the Habs to make the final was back in the 90s when my beloved Leafs were playing Gretzky's LA Kings in game 7 of the other semi-final round. The thought of a Leafs/Habs final was too good to be true. Then Gretz had one of his miracle games, scored a hat-trick and ousted the Leafs. What ticked me off was how the Kings subsequently folded against the Habs. Why couldn't they have folded against the Leafs? *sigh*

Okay, wishful thinking nostalgia trip over -- GO FLAMES GO!

Jersey Chick
04-17-2008, 09:40 PM
um... go Rangers....

DWSTXS
04-17-2008, 09:47 PM
STARs

KTC
04-17-2008, 09:47 PM
LOL. I remember that series. I SO wanted the Leafs to face the Habs. My family are all Leaf supporters... brothers, brothers-in-law, cousins, wife, son, etc, etc, etc... I especially wanted the series to happen because of my older brother... we had a great rivalry going when we were growing up in the 70s when the Habs were on fire. Would have been great to see that series.

Jersey Chick
04-19-2008, 11:18 PM
Oh, yeah!

Broadway Blue Shirts send the Devils packin'!

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb134/JerseyChick71/nyr.gif

GO RANGERS!!!

ChunkyC
04-20-2008, 01:12 AM
So K-man -- wot happened to the invincible Price the other day, hmmm? :D

(Chunky hopes K doesn't mention the Flame-out the same night)

KTC
04-20-2008, 01:38 AM
I know! That first goal closed him right down. There were 3 absolutely terrible ones. He basically just stood there. Frozen. The one, he just set it down and gave it to the wrong team... that one hurt.

I still have faith. Tonight's the night.

PS... I woke up in the middle of the night from a nightmare last night. My nightmare? The Habs lost game 6. But they'll win tonight. I still think the Price is right.

KTC
04-20-2008, 02:00 AM
AND YIPPEE! KOIVU is back! Koivu back (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=402031)

Silver King
04-20-2008, 02:15 AM
...I still have faith. Tonight's the night...
It better be. I don't think I have the fortitude to suffer through a game seven...

ChunkyC
04-20-2008, 02:57 AM
Game sevens are where ulcers start. :D

KTC
04-20-2008, 03:53 AM
One-nothing after the first. Price is back. Did you catch that breakaway save!

Dawno
04-20-2008, 04:41 AM
If I were a hockey fan, I'd be rooting for the home town team, the Sharks. How are they doing, anyway?

Jersey Chick
04-20-2008, 04:48 AM
Why is it that I'm always the loser rooting for a team by myself... ;)

KTC
04-20-2008, 05:54 AM
Okay. You got me. I'm heartbroken. Hopefully they can win game 7 on home ice.

Jongfan
04-20-2008, 05:59 AM
I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't witness it for myself.. B's forced a game seven.
Yeah, I live here but I am a Montreal fan...

Chumplet
04-20-2008, 06:00 AM
I split my loyalty between the Leafs and Habs. I live near Toronto but was born in Montreal. My early hockey watching days were spent marvelling at Lafleur, Dryden and Cournoyer. My mom got The Rocket's autograph while in the hospital when I was born. I can't shake the Habs. They're in my blood.

Now that the Leafs are done like dinner (as usual) I root for Les Canadiens. I they lose, I have to go for any remaining Canadian team, and after that I would like any Original Six team to win.

Don't care - as long as it's hockey!

I have a copy of Roch Carrier's The Hockey Sweater, autographed by such notables as Lafleur, Jimmy Mann, Ron McLean, Steve Shutt, Marcel Dionne, and more! I didn't get Maurice Richard's even though he was refereeing the Old Timer games, and my mom LOST THE AUTOGRAPH SHE GOT!

talps
04-20-2008, 06:01 AM
Why is it that I'm always the loser rooting for a team by myself... ;)

I don't think anyone's on my side either, JC...

Though if anyone is... Oh... My!

One of the most exciting periods of hockey I've ever seen!

We just won't go away... http://www.tweakyourpage.com/Images/Sports_Logos/NHL/images/Boston-Bruins-logo.gif and it's totally thrilling!

Chumplet
04-20-2008, 06:05 AM
Crap! The goals kept coming! What a finish. Oh, well, game seven it is!

KTC
04-20-2008, 06:30 AM
Chump... What a great book that was... The Hockey Sweater. Luck you for having all those autographs. I finally got Marcel Dionne's a month or so ago at Ricoh Centre... for the Alumni Game. I also grew up watching Dryden and LeFleur... I did it from the heart of Toronto in a family of Toronto fans. I was born a Hab fan. I don't know why? When I was 5 I was cheering for them. When I was a couple years older I was out on the street being Dryden and Lefleur in street hockey. (-; And Dionne.

I caught a puck at the alumni game and Johnny Bower autographed it for my son. He also got a whole bunch of autographs on his Leafs jersey. He was born a Leafs fan. Very painful for me... But if you see his room you would think you were at the ACC. Pretty impressive. I sometimes expect the Hockey Hall of Fame to knock on our door and ask if they could move his room to the Hall of Fame.

Sadly, my wife won't let me turn our bedroom into a Habs shrine. )-;

kristie911
04-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Go Wings!

We'll do well if they keep Hasek on the bench and let Osgood work is magic in the goal.

lkp
04-20-2008, 03:20 PM
I had a dream last night that the Habs got eliminated by Boston. So waking up and finding there is still a game 7 is *good* news.

DeborahM
04-20-2008, 05:26 PM
The Stars took the first two games, lost the third to Ducks, then took the fourth, lost the fifth...tonight's game number six.

GO STARS!!!

ChunkyC
04-20-2008, 06:01 PM
It's do or die for the Flames tonight. GO FLAMES GO!

My early hockey watching days were spent marvelling at Lafleur, Dryden and Cournoyer.
Much as I hate to admit it, that was one awesome hockey team. I hated it when they beat my Leafs, but you had to admire them. Then again, you don't build up much of a rivalry with an opponent that's easy to beat.

I grew up on the great Leafs teams of the sixties: Davy Keon, Ronnie Ellis, George Armstrong, moments like Bobby Baun scoring the Stanley Cup winning goal1 with a fractured bone in his leg from blocking a shot earlier in the game ... incredible. These guys were some of the toughest athletes ever and they earned about the same as your average factory worker. Nowadays when I see some spoiled-brat multi-million dollar basketball player whining for his personal trainer because he's got a bit of road rash from sliding on the parquet floor, I want to smack him with a tuna for being such a friggin' nancy-boy crybaby.

I'd love to see what Dion Phaneuf would do to some of these wussies if he caught them with their heads down. Yeah, I'm evil. :D

1 - not quite right, see my next post below

KTC
04-20-2008, 06:36 PM
I lived near Dave Keon as a kid, Chunk. He was awesome. Still... as much as my brother loved him for his on-ice ability... I had to hate him. Leaf! HA!

DWSTXS
04-20-2008, 06:47 PM
go STARS !

ChunkyC
04-20-2008, 07:52 PM
I lived near Dave Keon as a kid, Chunk. He was awesome. Still... as much as my brother loved him for his on-ice ability... I had to hate him. Leaf! HA!
Same thing for me and guys like Jean Belliveau. Incredible player, but I was obliged to hate him. :D

I had to go check my facts on Bobby Baun (http://http://mapleleafslegends.blogspot.com/2007/02/bob-baun.html). First, I spelled his last name wrong. And it was in game six of the 1964 finals that he had his ankle broken blocking a shot, then scored the game winning goal in overtime (if you've ever put skates on, you know how important strong ankles are). He refused medical attention and played game seven, which the Leafs won to take the cup. Only then did he get his ankle looked at and they discovered the break. Talk about a gritty performance. I tellya, hockey players are the toughest professional athletes in the world, bar none. No wonder we fans are so rabid about the game. :)

WerenCole
04-20-2008, 08:13 PM
What is this I hear? Game 7? The number one seeded Canadiens against the lowly eight seed Bruins? It can't be so?

Go Bruins! You've been irrelevant for so long damnit! Catch some of that Championship City (Charles City. . . okay, Boston) fever and run them Canadien bastards out on a rope.

aka eraser
04-20-2008, 11:09 PM
Gotta admire how Julien's got that team believing in itself.

I wanna smack him of course, but in an admiring manner. ;)

Benching Kessel for a few games is turning out to be a masterstroke. The kid reminds me of another fine American player, Phil Housley - smooth skater and very smart with the puck.

ChunkyC
04-21-2008, 12:59 AM
I'm feeling the same way about the Flames/Sharks series. It's a mighty tussle, very entertaining hockey. Much as it's a gas to watch your team trample the opposition, in the long run it's much more satisfying to win a titanic struggle against a worthy opponent.

Plus, the teams love selling all them extra $7 hotdogs in a long series. ;)

KTC
04-21-2008, 01:26 AM
I met Baun in about 1978-79??? He sold houses in the sub-division where I moved to... on the outskirts of Toronto. Leaving Toronto was devastating... then we found Baun sitting on the steps a few houses from us a few days later and it kind of made our day... even though my brother was happier about it than I. (-;

DeborahM
04-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Yes! Dallas Stars just left the Ducks behind 4 to 2 in the sixth game of the first round. I hear they'll meet the Sharks or Avalanche for Round 2.

GO STARS!

samgail
04-21-2008, 01:43 PM
OMG, i am watching Slap shot-the only movie Paul Newman does not look good in! Have you guys seen Bon Cop Bad Cop? Some friends left it for us to watch tonight because we can't watch actual hockey.

Tonight is the night, Game 7-GO HABS!!!!!!!

KTC
04-21-2008, 02:13 PM
I have my monthly critique group tonight from 7-9. WORST. SCHEDULING. CONFLICT. EVER. And it's at my house. Yikes. I hope they don't mind the big screen being on...I will keep it on mute.

GO HABS, GO!!!!

PS... You're killing me with this game 7 sh*t.

ChunkyC
04-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Re the Habs: it's pretty obvious Price is feeling the pressure. All the media hoopla comparing him to Dryden -- a ridiculous comparison only a few games into the first round -- can't have helped.

Speaking of game 7s: Flames and Sharks, tomorrow night! Iggy and the boys looked really good yesterday beating the Sharks 2-0. Not a flashy game, but the Flames played a solid game from start to finish, no five or ten minute letdowns like they've done before to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I'd say all the pressure is on the Sharks now. GO FLAMES!

Haggis
04-21-2008, 07:01 PM
One down.

Go, Ozzie.

http://www.teamblanketstore.com/nhl/redwings50.gif

Soccer Mom
04-22-2008, 02:25 AM
Yes! Dallas Stars just left the Ducks behind 4 to 2 in the sixth game of the first round. I hear they'll meet the Sharks or Avalanche for Round 2.

GO STARS!

This is so important, it bears repeating. http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/sp/v/nhl/teams/20080123/80x60/dal.gif

Silver King
04-22-2008, 02:50 AM
...Speaking of game 7s...
Not to open old wounds, Charlie, but my favorite game seven is when the Lightening beat the Flames to win The Cup. :D

I'm not going to say a damn thing about tonight's contest between Montreal and Boston lest I jinx the whole affair, except that it's due to start any minute now...

ChunkyC
04-22-2008, 03:14 AM
Not to open old wounds, Charlie, but my favorite game seven is when the Lightening beat the Flames to win The Cup. :D

I could use a tourniquet about now.... ;)

talps
04-22-2008, 05:32 AM
:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

.........make it stop.........

Chumplet
04-22-2008, 05:38 AM
Yay, HABS!!!! Okay, now for the Flames tomorrow. Wouldn't a Flames/Habs final be super?

KTC
04-22-2008, 06:04 AM
yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes!!!!!

2 minutes left, my wife turns to me... "Are you crying?"

"NO!"

I wasn't... I was just misty. Those chants were a bit overwhelming. Mon-real!

PRICE GETS A HAT-TRICK!!!!

aka eraser
04-22-2008, 06:15 AM
Price was a wall. :)

Kudos to the Bruins though. They showed me plenty.

KTC
04-22-2008, 06:16 AM
They came to play, Eraser. They played hard. Great game. Great Price!

KTC
04-22-2008, 06:27 AM
It's weird... the whole series, I thought.. "I really like their goalie, Thomas." He has such a character. Standing on the blue line for the anthems. Always smiling and showing his happiness. I really dug that. He seems like one of those guys that everybody likes. I wish I know what he said to Price when they met up after the game. Seemed like a great guy.

talps
04-22-2008, 06:36 AM
Tim Thomas epitomizes this year's Bruins, who were certainly nothing like the big-talent but no-chemistry or spirit teams of the past decade. My bunch this year was kind of a ragtag troop of cast-offs who gelled when put together. They were not supposed to be this good this soon, and most prognosticators had them slotted as the conference's worst team - by far! Thomas, the journeyman turned all-star embodied that fiesty spirit. Absolutely ZERO technique between the pipes, but he gets the job done on guts. For sure I'm disappointed, but they entered this series having been CRUSHED all 8 times they played the Habs this season. Then they promptly dropped two more.

Then for no apparent reason - POOF - new Bruins! And they did this without arguably their best offensive threat (Bergeron) and their #2 goal scorer during the regular season (Kobasew).

And I'm not gonna forget the euphoria of Game Six anytime soon -- the game the Boston Herald said, "brought hockey back to Boston."

Naturally, I can't by rivalry law root for the Habs to go any deeper than this. But if Price plays like he did tonight and not as he did in those two 3rd periods, the team has a shot to go far. And so I'll begrudgingly say Good Luck to the Habs fans on the boards...

And possibly show up with a Penguins cap avatar if necessary later on!

KTC
04-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Thanks, Talps. I don't know about the rest of the Habs fans, but I'm going to be having nightmares every time I think of the names Kessel and Lucic. That team was a workhorse. Shows how powerful work ethic is...

Chumplet
04-22-2008, 04:43 PM
Figures, a bunch of knobs in the streets ruined the victory for the rest of the Montreal fans. It's only the first round, for Pete's sake! (Or rather, for Pierre's sake).

jst5150
04-22-2008, 05:33 PM
I'm popping the popcorn and watching that Calgary/San Jose tilt tonight. Charlie, I am rooting for the Flames because I'm a big advocate for hockey in Canada (more pro hockey teams that is). However, the Californian in me wants San Jose to win. I'm on the fence, but if pushed, I'll take Calgary -- the Flames are an easier get than the Sharks for the Wings to beat.

And I'll continue my "Go Wings" chants here. And if you ever want to know why a Californian cheers for the Detroit Red Wings, well, you can read that on my blog tonight. ;)

ChunkyC
04-22-2008, 05:53 PM
I was like that with the Habs/Bruins series, Jason. My love of the Leafs made me want to see the Habs go down, but my equally big love of the game itself and hockey in Canada in particular had me hoping the Habs would stay in so that the possibility of a Canadian team taking the cup this year would be increased.

Chump, I'm with ya. The behaviour of those morons after the game completely disgusts me. I watched footage on the news this morning of some of them trying to turn over a police car. Yeah, you're really cool, bud, destroying property because a bloody hockey team won a game. What a stupid excuse for destructive behaviour. Did they ever think that maybe the owner of the store they trashed might be a Habs fan too? Of course not, they're too friggin' dumb to actually think like a human being.

I despise those assholes, how dare they tarnish a victory that should be a cause for joy for all the true fans of the team and game.

talps
04-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Thanks, Talps. I don't know about the rest of the Habs fans, but I'm going to be having nightmares every time I think of the names Kessel and Lucic. That team was a workhorse. Shows how powerful work ethic is...

Kessel & Lucic vs. Price will be great fun for the next few years - assuming our teams can keep 'em under contract. None of 'em are old enough to buy a drink here in the States. Astonishing.

So... I'm in a pool with three other friends. Each of us draws four teams at random from the 16 chasing The Cup. Whoever gets the most total game wins throughout the playoffs wins the pool. Thus far, I have two teams through (Penguins & Rangers). I also have the Caps & the Flames... so if I can get either one through tonight, I'll be in good shape toward a prize that'll cushion the blow of Game 7 last night.

Nothing heals quite like cash, y'know?

Which is to say - GO FLAMES!

KTC
04-22-2008, 11:01 PM
I'm rooting for the Sea of Red tonight.

I too was disgusted by what happened in Montreal.

jst5150
04-22-2008, 11:11 PM
Not that I have an affinity for Edmonton, but, when Versus showed the Edmonton Oilers' home crowd singing the Canadian National Anthem (led by that dude in the tux, and I can't connect you to the YouTube version because it's blocked here ...), it was probably the most fantastic rendition of any anthematic song I've heard. Last year's playoffs? Year before? I like that it's OK for you to sing your anthem, but we Americans must stand like statues during ours. Oy.

Oh. And CBC hockey announcers -- specifically Jim Hughson -- are superior to American announcers, save Gary Thorne, who is solely responsible for putting hockey as 1a on my favorite sport list.

ChunkyC
04-22-2008, 11:19 PM
Oh. And CBC hockey announcers -- specifically Jim Hughson -- are superior to American announcers, save Gary Thorne, who is solely responsible for putting hockey as 1a on my favorite sport list.
I hate it when you get some guy on Fox saying stupid crap like, "Well, that's the ball game!"

It's a puck, you moron! :tongue

Jersey Chick
04-23-2008, 12:14 AM
Yeah, but "Well, that's the puck game" is just kinda lacking...

**ducks - just in case**

ChunkyC
04-23-2008, 12:31 AM
Yeah, when used that way, it doesn't really work. But I have heard some guys using 'ball' in various ways during the play-by-play and it just drives me nuts. Stuff like, "If they wanna win this ball game..." etc. In their defense, they've often been thrown into the breach when the station decides to cover hockey and they have to try to figure out the game while also trying to come across as knowledgeable. Imagine the sports guy in Phoenix when they got their NHL francise being told he's going to be the announcer for the Coyotes and the only ice he's ever seen is in a drink. :D

ETA: some of these guys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV6YIVGXs4E) are hilarious! Cookies?! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF48VxULU8A&NR=1) :roll:

KTC
04-23-2008, 12:33 AM
Yes... Canadian announcers are the best. And I LOVE the national anthems. I like the guy who does it in Ottawa... and the Montreal singer. I love the way the crowd sings along to the Canadian anthem.

talps
04-23-2008, 12:43 AM
Not that I have an affinity for Edmonton, but, when Versus showed the Edmonton Oilers' home crowd singing the Canadian National Anthem (led by that dude in the tux, and I can't connect you to the YouTube version because it's blocked here ...), it was probably the most fantastic rendition of any anthematic song I've heard.

110% agree and remember those scenes vividly! It was the Oilers/Hurricanes final from '06 when the anthem went full tilt with power. The blue collar singer, the high octane fans, even the young handicapped man employed by the team for various bench tasks (how charming was he - just yelling his head off & heart out with the lyrics!).

Dunno how the other Canadian cities treat the anthem - sounds like they do so passionately - but those games in Edmonton... DAMN!

ChunkyC
04-23-2008, 12:47 AM
even the young handicapped man employed by the team for various bench tasks (how charming was he - just yelling his head off & heart out with the lyrics!).
His name is Joey Moss (http://oilers.nhl.com/team2/moss_joey.htm). He's been behind the Edmonton bench for over twenty years. Even people who hate the Oilers love him.

KTC
04-23-2008, 12:48 AM
110% agree and remember those scenes vividly! It was the Oilers/Hurricanes final from '06 when the anthem went full tilt with power. The blue collar singer, the high octane fans, even the young handicapped man employed by the team for various bench tasks (how charming was he - just yelling his head off & heart out with the lyrics!).

Dunno how the other Canadian cities treat the anthem - sounds like they do so passionately - but those games in Edmonton... DAMN!

Ever since, and thanks to, the Great One!>>

THE WONDERFUL, ALWAYS PRESENT JOEY MOSS! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Moss)

In the wiki link, there is actually a picture of Joey singing the anthem. (-;

KTC
04-23-2008, 12:50 AM
His name is Joey Moss (http://oilers.nhl.com/team2/moss_joey.htm). He's been behind the Edmonton bench for over twenty years. Even people who hate the Oilers love him.

Oops. That's funny. I was posting when you were, I guess. (-;

ChunkyC
04-23-2008, 12:51 AM
Yep! :) Like I said, everybody loves him.

talps
04-23-2008, 12:54 AM
Ah... Now I remember... Joey Moss. Thanks for filling in my lazy blank! Too much work. I'm in mourning after last night, you see. I can barely move with all this pain.

I was rooting so hard for Edmonton that series. I mean they were an eight seed that made it all the way to game 7 of the finals - how could I not?!

She_wulf
04-23-2008, 09:14 AM
My day job is special effects for sports teams and we had the both the Flyers and the Caps (not to mention the Wizards and 76ers games coming up) so this month has ended with non-stop work.

However, the Philly fans are simply unbelievable. Last week's first home game was Orange out night. Only a couple hundred or so of the almost 20K crowd wasn't wearing their brand new orange T courtesy of the team. Over the headset the game ops guy running audio for the fan video couldn't get the volume up any higher and the crowd still drowned it out. Never in my life have I heard THAT kind of crowd participation.

aka eraser
04-23-2008, 06:08 PM
That was only the first round She_wulf. Wait'll things get tense. ;)

Condolences to Charlie, the Flames, and all their fans. I hope all Canuckleheads rally under the banner of the bleu, blanc et rouge (except those knobs who rioted - they can be shipped off to a work camp in the Antarctic).

Congrats to Philly (though I was rooting for the Caps) and San Jose.

May the best Canadian team win! ;)

ChunkyC
04-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Sharks win the series, ousting the Flames.

http://bestsmileys.com/crying/14.gif

um ... go Habs, I guess.

DeborahM
04-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Sharks win the series, ousting the Flames.

http://bestsmileys.com/crying/14.gif

um ... go Habs, I guess.

The first game between Stars and Sharks is the 25

Soccer Mom
04-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Can't wait, Deb!

ChimeraCreative
04-25-2008, 01:50 AM
Yes... Canadian announcers are the best. And I LOVE the national anthems. I like the guy who does it in Ottawa... and the Montreal singer. I love the way the crowd sings along to the Canadian anthem.

I adore the fella that sings the anthem at the Ottawa home games. ^_^
And now that I'm in the States, holy moly moses, do I ever miss the Canadian announcers. >.< I was in Detroit this past weekend and I was ELATED to see Ron McLean on the tv again. ^_^

-An

DWSTXS
04-25-2008, 01:52 AM
GO STARS!

melaniehoo
04-25-2008, 01:53 AM
I'm late to the party but I have to say:

Go Wings!

Chumplet
04-25-2008, 03:03 AM
Canadian announcers are great, but I think our dear Bob Cole should retire. Half the time he forgets where he is, or he tries to predict a move and then backpedals. Drives me crazy. Drives Harry Neale crazy - that's probably why he moved to Buffalo.

KTC
04-25-2008, 05:47 AM
I'm frickin' dyin' here! 29 seconds left in regulation and Montreal ties it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay tuned....

KTC
04-25-2008, 05:54 AM
oh. and ps. i clapped myself so silly that i think i broke at least 3 fingers. i don't usually clap. it was spontaneous clapbustion. ??? ouch. my fingers are throbbing.

KTC
04-25-2008, 06:02 AM
48 seconds in. MONTREAL WINS GAME 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

talps
04-25-2008, 06:09 AM
Just saw the highlights on that, KTC. Looks like the habs are picking up right where they left off with the nerve-shredding, huh?

I was saddled with the Wings/Avs game on TV... which was also pretty damn exciting. Wondering if Haggis is okay after Osgood's save with 8 seconds left...

My only prediction in these toss-up series was that at least 3 of 'em will go 7 games. I really think it's anyone's Cup at this point.

KTC
04-25-2008, 07:08 AM
As much as I would like to disagree and say the Habs have it in the bag, I can't. I can't believe the Wings had to struggle with that one! They were smashin' them down. I see game 7s too.

Haggis
04-25-2008, 03:23 PM
I was saddled with the Wings/Avs game on TV... which was also pretty damn exciting. Wondering if Haggis is okay after Osgood's save with 8 seconds left...

When it came to crunch time, Ozzie was brilliant. He saw that play coming all the way. But I have no idea how.

talps
04-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Thread resurrection time!

Dallas is looking scary good.
So is Detroit.
Habs/Flyers tonight could be a penalty minute free-for-all.
And Sean Avery is still a jackass.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Jersey Chick
04-28-2008, 09:39 PM
Ugh. It's not lookin' so good for the Rangers...

<sigh> I figure we've got what? another 40 years or so to go??? <another sigh>

Soccer Mom
04-29-2008, 12:52 AM
Hooray for my STARS!!!!!!! (cause teh Mavericks SUCK!!!!)

Whoot!

melaniehoo
04-29-2008, 12:58 AM
Thread resurrection time!

Dallas is looking scary good.
So is Detroit.
And Sean Avery is still a jackass.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

I agree with your second statement. :D

She_wulf
04-29-2008, 08:39 AM

LOL

I just got back from that game (viewed it from the catwalk).

End of first period and there are offsetting penalties for fights and one guy taking the fall for it all...sucks because it was black and orange pounding the wrong side of the dashers for two mins.

Best end of first quarter I've seen in a while. (Three separate fights because the Flyers player clipped the goalie's skate as he was wrestling for the puck and the goalie went DOWN!) Too bad it wasn't a bench clearer.

Somehow the Flyers made it through the third period and held on to win.

Vengeance NOW!*

*Flyers slogan for the playoffs.

Amy

DWSTXS
04-29-2008, 05:25 PM
GO Dallas Stars!

yeah, Mavs suck.

Cowboys WILL be back this season.

jst5150
04-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Go Wings!
Just repeating for effect.

Haggis
04-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Just repeating for effect.

http://www.kazlaaz.com/goalies/tips/tips01.jpg

Soccer Mom
04-29-2008, 08:00 PM
GO Dallas Stars!

yeah, Mavs suck.

Cowboys WILL be back this season.

Just repeating for effect. :D

KTC
04-29-2008, 08:04 PM
I'm dyin' here, people. It's time for a Canadiens prayer. PICK IT UP A NOTCH!!!!!!!!!!!

talps
04-29-2008, 08:13 PM
I'm dyin' here, people. It's time for a Canadiens prayer. PICK IT UP A NOTCH!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still waitin' for the Bruins to win Game 8, then return to win the Montreal series in 9...

talps
04-30-2008, 06:03 AM
Um... did I forget to say yesterday that the Penguins are looking pretty fierce, too?

Sorry, JC. But hey - did you see the announcers mention that the Pens winning their first 7 playoff games makes this the the first time it's happened since the '94 Rangers?

No consolation to you?

DWSTXS
04-30-2008, 06:08 AM
go S T A R S !

Soccer Mom
04-30-2008, 06:40 AM
High Five, Doyle!

DWSTXS
04-30-2008, 06:47 AM
High Five, Doyle!

You got it !

too bad the Mavs are crapping out!

Oh well, Cowboys season is just around the corner.

cletus
04-30-2008, 11:22 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/72/PhiladelphiaFlyers.png

KTC
04-30-2008, 02:06 PM
My heart is an unmade bed.

Go HABS, GO! Tonight is your close up. Are you ready?

She_wulf
04-30-2008, 03:27 PM
They are paying a paycheck so...

Go

KTC
04-30-2008, 03:30 PM
HEY! No Flyers. Flyers stinky!

Haggis
04-30-2008, 03:37 PM
http://blog.mlive.com/kzgazette/2008/04/large_wings0425.jpg

cletus
04-30-2008, 03:37 PM
Flyers no stinky. Habitats stinky!

KTC
04-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Flyers no stinky. Habitats stinky!

You berry berry bad!

She_wulf
04-30-2008, 04:34 PM
http://images.comcast-spectacor.com/flyers/slideShows/9663.JPG

Orange out with 20,000 Flyers fans...ok 19,860 for game three. I

Freakin' amazing support for Philadelphia.

DWSTXS
04-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Stars will finish the sweep tonight!

Go STARS !

cletus
04-30-2008, 05:20 PM
You berry berry bad!
Mmmmm...berries.

cletus
05-01-2008, 12:59 PM

KTC
05-01-2008, 02:15 PM
You're hurting me.

melaniehoo
05-01-2008, 08:29 PM

http://blog.mlive.com/kzgazette/2008/04/large_wings0425.jpg

She_wulf
05-04-2008, 07:15 AM
OMG OMG OMG!!!!

KTC I feel SOOOO bad for you.

FLYERS WON!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have to work tomorrow!
http://my-art-case.com/images/snoopyflyers.jpg

Amy

DeborahM
05-06-2008, 01:46 AM
We'll see those Red Wings Tuesday!

GO STARS ! !

KTC
05-06-2008, 02:22 AM
OMG OMG OMG!!!!

KTC I feel SOOOO bad for you.

FLYERS WON!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have to work tomorrow!
http://my-art-case.com/images/snoopyflyers.jpg

Amy

Now that's just double nasty.

Soccer Mom
05-06-2008, 02:40 AM

GO STARS ! !

Hi fives!

Jersey Chick
05-06-2008, 02:48 AM
i am sad

**sniff**

unfortunately, i am not surprised, though....

DeborahM
05-06-2008, 03:36 AM
Hi fives!

Hi fives back! :e2drunk:

DWSTXS
05-06-2008, 03:40 AM

GO STARS ! !

Yes! Go S T A R S !

Soccer Mom
05-06-2008, 05:00 AM
I love ya, Melaniehoo, but get yer dukes up girl!

Whoot!

:parties with Doyle and Deb:

Haggis
05-06-2008, 05:43 AM

GO STARS ! !

Hi fives!

Hi fives back! :e2drunk:

Yes! Go S T A R S !

I love ya, Melaniehoo, but get yer dukes up girl!

Whoot!

:parties with Doyle and Deb:

Grrr.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0cwueNcaKS8xa/340x.jpg

Soccer Mom
05-06-2008, 07:37 AM
Pfft. It's a rumble all right. Chihuahua boy. Let's see how handy you are with that syringe.

aka eraser
05-06-2008, 08:43 AM
Okay people, where's the predictions?

Pittsburgh vs. Philly = Pitt in 6.

Detroit vs. Dallas = Detroit in 6.

Detroit vs. Pitt = Detroit in 5.

DWSTXS
05-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Dallas vs Detroit = Dallas in 4

Haggis
05-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Pfft. It's a rumble all right. Chihuahua boy. Let's see how handy you are with that syringe.

*Fedexes octupus to Soccer Mom*

*wonders what DWSTXS is smoking*

DWSTXS
05-06-2008, 05:52 PM
*Fedexes octupus to Soccer Mom*

*wonders what DWSTXS is smoking*

...and you may see me, tonight,
with an illegal smile,
it don't cost very much,
but it lasts a long while,

won't you please tell the man,
I didn't kill anyone,
I'm just trying to have me some fun..

Sheryl Nantus
05-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Philly over Pens in four.

and WHAT is that crap in Crosby's hair every time I see him? I swear, either he has super-oily hair or puts more hair gel on than half of Hollywood...

bleh!

DeborahM
05-06-2008, 06:52 PM

Dallas vs Detroit in 6...Dallas seems to love the number 6 lately, heart stopping as it is, they still come through!

GO STARS ! !

Haggis
05-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Okay people, where's the predictions?

Pittsburgh vs. Philly = Pitt in 6.

Detroit vs. Dallas = Detroit in 6.

Detroit vs. Pitt = Detroit in 5.

Philly vs. Pittsburgh = Philly in 6.

Detroit vs. Dallas = Detroit in 5.

Detroit vs. Philly = Detroit in 6.

talps
05-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Pitt over Philly in 7. (one record will be set here: the number of bar brawls in the state of Pennsylvania over a 2 week period)

Detroit over Dallas in 6. (Turco can't keep the stellar play up, can he? Against the Wings firepower? Seems a lot to ask, but his Game 6 effort against the Sharks was just epic, who who knows...)

Pitt over Detroit in 6. (the hockey gods smile on a city that damn near lost its team just a few years ago)

melaniehoo
05-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Pitt over Philly in 7. (one record will be set here: the number of bar brawls in the state of Pennsylvania over a 2 week period)

Detroit over Dallas in 6. (Turco can't keep the stellar play up, can he? Against the Wings firepower? Seems a lot to ask, but his Game 6 effort against the Sharks was just epic, who who knows...)

Detroit over Pitt in 6. (the hockey gods smile on a city that has nothing but sports to give it a good name)

You mixed up those last two.

Haggis
05-06-2008, 07:57 PM
You mixed up those last two.

At last. Someone with some common sense.

Soccer Mom
05-06-2008, 08:05 PM
hah! I'll take Dallas over Detroit in 6! You're on!

(we are wagering rep points right? Loser has to give winner five reps? positive ones, of course!)

melaniehoo
05-06-2008, 08:06 PM
I got reps to spare...

Soccer Mom
05-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Good, because you're gonna need them to send to me. ;)

melaniehoo
05-06-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm just excited my mom sent me a link where I can watch the games live. They don't care too much for hockey down here.

Haggis
05-06-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm just excited my mom sent me a link where I can watch the games live. They don't care too much for hockey down here.

Mexico and Dallas have one thing in common. Neither one knows what ice is. :D

DeborahM
05-06-2008, 08:10 PM
At last. Someone with some common sense.

And this comes from a Chihuahua with a syringe in its mouth! Detroit is strong, but Tucolicious is hot and on his game!

talps
05-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Disclosure: The Pitt over Detroit pick is in part predicated on the fact that I have the penguins in my pool. I have to keep the faith, and thus am selectively ignoring how great the Wings looked dismantling the Avs and am instead focusing on their mediocre stretches against the Preds.

Soccer Mom
05-06-2008, 08:12 PM

Ice, ice baby! If we know one thing down here, it's refrigeration! :D and how to hold a dandy Cup parade. I'm ready for another one.

melaniehoo
05-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Me too. I haven't been to one in years...

DeborahM
05-06-2008, 08:13 PM

I beg to differ! We may not have it year round as you do, but remember the team didn't start here or made up of Texans.

Haggis
05-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Ice, ice baby! If we know one thing down here, it's refrigeration! :D and how to hold a dandy Cup parade. I'm ready for another one.

Cup parade? You mean with this cup?

http://xac.xanga.com/82ab65045103050258209/m33742242.bmp

jst5150
05-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Cup parade? You mean with this cup?

http://xac.xanga.com/82ab65045103050258209/m33742242.bmp
A fine reminder, Haggis. And look at Stevie Y.

In the mid 1990s, the radio station KBPI in Denver had a great morning duo. When they would do their pranks, they would always use the names of Detroit Red Wings. Steve Yzerman was an oft used favorite.

And more on topic, Wings in 6, then onto Pittsburgh where Sid the kid and gang take us to 6 as well.

But Wings win. :)

Soccer Mom
05-06-2008, 08:30 PM
There's that cup! I've been missing it! Time to give it back.

Stars in 6. :D

Haggis
05-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Stars fan: I don't get it. What are they supposed to do?

Wings fan: Put the puck in the net.

Stars fan: What's a puck?

Wings fan: See that fellow by the blue line? That's what he's got on his stick.

Stars fan: What's a blue line?

Wings fan: Oh, look. They just called "icing."

Stars fan: What's ice?

DeborahM
05-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Haggis, don't you mean...

Stars Fan: See that puck?

Detroit Fan: What puck?

Stars Fan: The one that just landed past your goalie!

Haggis
05-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Haggis, don't you mean...

Stars Fan: See that puck?

Detroit Fan: What puck?

Stars Fan: The one that just landed past your goalie!

You forgot the last part, Deborah.

Detroit Fan: Well, yeah, Hasek is one of our goalies, but he's on the bench tonight. I'm pretty sure that "goal" won't count. :D

melaniehoo
05-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Love it when that happens. :D

DeborahM
05-06-2008, 11:53 PM
You forgot the last part, Deborah.

Detroit Fan: Well, yeah, Hasek is one of our goalies, but he's on the bench tonight. I'm pretty sure that "goal" won't count. :D

Hopefully, Morrow didn't shoot it with his luck the last two games against the Sharks, too!

But...then again...it could have been an empty nest! :D

DeborahM
05-09-2008, 03:32 AM
Dallas vs. Detroit is about to hit the airways. Popcorns ready! Best of Luck!

GO STARS! !

melaniehoo
05-09-2008, 04:29 AM
Squee!

Det 2, Dal 0, end of the 1st period.

Haggis
05-09-2008, 04:57 AM
Squee!

Det 2, Dal 0, end of the 1st period.

Them: Zip

Us: Three octupi

Their power play.

melaniehoo
05-09-2008, 05:00 AM
Them: Zip

Us: Three octupi

Their power play.

I have to leave soon and will miss the third period. Keep sending good vibes for me!

Haggis
05-09-2008, 05:05 AM

Haggis
05-09-2008, 05:09 AM
4 - 1

Haggis
05-09-2008, 05:15 AM
4 - 1 end of second.

Haggis
05-09-2008, 05:31 AM
3rd period starts.

For you Stars fans, that means it's your last chance to get ahead.

Haggis
05-09-2008, 05:32 AM
Stars have power play.

For you Stars fans, that means you have one more man on the ice.

poetinahat
05-09-2008, 05:43 AM
For you Stars fans, "ice" is how Northerners pave their roads in winter. ... Oh, wait - you've seen it in your beer coolers.

Haggis
05-09-2008, 06:01 AM
http://home.earthlink.net/%7Ejbratman/octopus2_450x300.JPG

poetinahat
05-09-2008, 06:03 AM
pssst... dude, octopi have eight legs.

Haggis
05-09-2008, 06:09 AM
pssst... dude, octopi have eight legs.

The other two are busy. ;)

DeborahM
05-09-2008, 06:14 AM
That's okay, that's your game...I still love my Stars!

Haggis
05-09-2008, 06:22 AM
That's okay, that's your game...I still love my Stars!

I love your Stars too, Deborah. Especially Turco. I was a fan when he played for Michigan. And who knows? The series has at least three more games to go. The Wings haven't been too lucky lately. You never know.

Haggis
05-09-2008, 06:25 AM
http://home.earthlink.net/%7Ejbratman/octopus2_450x300.JPG

This guy actually sits in the Hockeytown Cafe in downtown Detroit. I've shaken tentacles with him before. Management didn't take kindly to it.

Chumplet
05-09-2008, 06:41 AM
Missed it! What the hell is wrong with me???
Detroit, being the only Original Six team remaining in the playoffs, is my pick. In the other series, I have to choose the Pens over Philly since they killed off my beloved Habs.

Soccer Mom
05-09-2008, 06:50 AM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/5/8/defiantkitteh128547750027197500.jpg

melaniehoo
05-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Yay Wings!

DeborahM
05-09-2008, 08:46 PM
I love your Stars too, Deborah. Especially Turco. I was a fan when he played for Michigan. And who knows? The series has at least three more games to go. The Wings haven't been too lucky lately. You never know.

So true. Detroit has the Stars' number and uses it against them, which is good strategy. The Wings have been lucky enough! We'll see how it plays out!

Haggis
05-11-2008, 05:44 AM
For you Stars fans? You're down 2 zip now.

*avoids saying anything about mugging the winning team's goalie after the game is over*

Soccer Mom
05-11-2008, 05:55 AM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/5/8/defiantkitteh128547750027197500.jpg

Haggis
05-11-2008, 06:29 AM
Defiant Kitteh deserves a three game suspension.

DeborahM
05-12-2008, 06:34 PM
For you Stars fans? You're down 2 zip now.

*avoids saying anything about mugging the winning team's goalie after the game is over*

Thanks for reminding me! I saw. I'll be in front of the tube ready. Hopefully tonight's home game will help them rise to the rallying and Tippett has re-strategized the Stars' game and surprise Detroit.

Haggis
05-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Thanks for reminding me! I saw. I'll be in front of the tube ready. Hopefully tonight's home game will help them rise to the rallying and Tippett has re-strategized the Stars' game and surprise Detroit.

Tonight's game might just have a tad more...uh...intensity than before. It should be something to watch.

DeborahM
05-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Tonight's game might just have a tad more...uh...intensity than before. It should be something to watch.

You really are a diplomat! "A tad more...uh...intensity..." :roll:

It's going to be a good game, no matter how it turns out!

melaniehoo
05-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Um, how many teams have come back from a 3-0 deficit? ;)

cletus
05-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Not many.

cletus
05-13-2008, 06:20 PM
Um, how many teams have come back from a 3-0 deficit? ;)

I've found a more specific answer: 2
1942 Toronto Maple Leafs and 1975 New York Islanders

They're 33 years apart and the last one was 33 years ago, so somebody is due.

Haggis
05-13-2008, 06:22 PM

:rolleyes:

DWSTXS
05-13-2008, 08:43 PM
As a Stars fan, I'm conceding the Series.

:(

DeborahM
05-13-2008, 08:51 PM

Are you saying, you don't think Dallas can pull this off? I'm not holding my breath either...but remember the Boston Red Soxs beat the Yankees after how many years to take the World Series with a 3-0 beginning.

DWSTXS
05-13-2008, 08:54 PM
The way we are playing. No, I don't think we can, or will, pull it off

Haggis
05-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Are you saying, you don't think Dallas can pull this off? I'm not holding my breath either...but remember the Boston Red Soxs beat the Yankees after how many years to take the World Series with a 3-0 beginning.

http://servercc.oakton.edu/%7Ewittman/mills/donq.gif

melaniehoo
05-13-2008, 09:13 PM
I am surprised Dallas hasn't won any. I didn't figure this series for a sweep, plus my mom really wants to go to game 5 in Detroit, so maybe Dallas will get a couple wins. Detroit will still win, of course. :D

DeborahM
05-13-2008, 09:34 PM
http://servercc.oakton.edu/%7Ewittman/mills/donq.gif

Haggis, I didn't know you were THAT OLD to remember that far back! :D

DeborahM
05-13-2008, 09:35 PM
The way we are playing. No, I don't think we can, or will, pull it off

It would have been great to see Dallas with the Cup again, though. It's been a while.

DWSTXS
05-13-2008, 09:37 PM
It would have been great to see Dallas with the Cup again, though. It's been a while.

Yes, it would have been nice.

Especially since the Mavs crapped out.

The Rangers will NEVER do anything.

And the Cowboys, well, they had a great year, up until the playoffs, and I think they're our best hope for a winning sports franchise in the playoffs for the near future.

Go Cowboys!

samgail
05-13-2008, 09:51 PM

They can beat the Mariners!!

Go DEtroit!

DeborahM
05-13-2008, 09:52 PM
Yes, it would have been nice.

Especially since the Mavs crapped out.

And the Cowboys, well, they had a great year, up until the playoffs, and I think they're our best hope for a winning sports franchise in the playoffs for the near future.

Go Cowboys!

So true, so true. I still wish Jimmy was the coach though. The Cowboys would be a lot stronger today if so.

DWSTXS
05-13-2008, 09:53 PM
They can beat the Mariners!!

Go DEtroit!

amnded from: The Rangers will NEVER do anything.

to: The Rangers will NEVER do anything that is noteworthy!

Haggis
05-13-2008, 10:45 PM
Haggis, I didn't know you were THAT OLD to remember that far back! :D

That's me, hiding behind the windmill. :D

cletus
05-14-2008, 05:13 PM

Looks like the Flyers are going to need to pull this off.

melaniehoo
05-15-2008, 12:25 AM
Let's Go Red Wings!

Soccer Mom
05-15-2008, 03:01 AM
I'm also conceding the series.

Go Rangers.

I can't believe I just typed that. Wait. I can do better.

Go Cowboys!!!!!!

Yes, that felt more natural.

DeborahM
05-15-2008, 07:01 AM

I'm also conceding the series.

3 TO 1 ! GO STARS ! !

YES!

Haggis
05-15-2008, 03:06 PM
3 TO 1 ! GO STARS ! !

YES!

Congrats, Stars fans.

melaniehoo
05-15-2008, 07:34 PM
I'm ok with the loss because now my mom can go to Game 5. :D

Soccer Mom
05-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Phew! Okay, at least we avoided the clean sweep. Gotta think happy thoughts.

robeiae
05-18-2008, 12:47 AM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

And how 'bout that cross check to the face by Draper? Morrow doesn't look so good...

http://blogplatoon.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/chrisfarley.JPG

DWSTXS
05-18-2008, 12:50 AM
Go S T A R S !

Freefall86
05-18-2008, 08:53 AM
So...I was reading Razor's blog (for non-stars fans, he one of the announcers for the Stars) and he coined the term Turcolicious after one of Turco's AMAZING saves...well today on his blog he had a shirt that said Turcolicious along with a picture of Turco geared up...so I googled it trying to find it and stumbled upon this thread...and I had to contribute.

After game one I conceded the series to Detroit, thinking it would be 4-1...I am SO glad I was wrong. I also have to give props to Detroit, ya'll have a pretty awesome team. The ONE thing I don't like is how your boy keeps getting in Turco's crease. Other then that, nothing but respect. I still don't think we have it in us to win the series, but I'm praying!

GO STARS!!!

Soccer Mom
05-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Hi FreeFall and welcome!

Yay, Stars. That was awesome. But now I'm afraid to put their logo back in my sig line. As soon as I took it out, they started winning. I've gone all superstitious.

DWSTXS
05-18-2008, 07:37 PM
Hi FreeFall and welcome!

Yay, Stars. That was awesome. But now I'm afraid to put their logo back in my sig line. As soon as I took it out, they started winning. I've gone all superstitious.

just leave it off the sig line, but get a tattoo...

Soccer Mom
05-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Um, I think my body is past the tattoo expiration date.

robeiae
05-18-2008, 09:55 PM
But now I'm afraid to put their logo back in my sig line. As soon as I took it out, they started winning. I've gone all superstitious.No, no, no...it's because Modano shaved that stupid playoff beard.

Soccer Mom
05-18-2008, 09:56 PM
That could be it. Thank goodness that thing is gone. Why do handsome men do things like that?

Haggis
05-18-2008, 09:57 PM
You look different, Rob.

robeiae
05-18-2008, 10:05 PM
You look different, Rob.
Yeah, like last night was gonna go unpunished...

But it's all good. He knows it's only his Mod powers that protect him, now. Otherwise, he'd be my beyotch.

robeiae
05-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Why do handsome men do things like that?
I shave regularly, so not all of them do it...

Haggis
05-18-2008, 10:13 PM
That could be it. Thank goodness that thing is gone. Why do handsome men do things like that?

You callin' me ugly?

Soccer Mom
05-18-2008, 10:37 PM
I"m just doing a happy dance because the Stars have actually made a series of it! Game six! Hurray!

DeborahM
05-18-2008, 10:45 PM
Now THAT was a good game!

GO STARS! !

Chumplet
05-18-2008, 10:53 PM
No, no, no...it's because Modano shaved that stupid playoff beard.

Now the focus has returned to his enormous teeth.

Soccer Mom
05-18-2008, 10:59 PM
Them is fightin' werds, Chump!

robeiae
05-18-2008, 11:03 PM
Oddly enough, they're not even Modano's teeth. He got them from Brett Hull when Hull retired (who got them from Dennis Potvin, and so on and so on).

Soccer Mom
05-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Go lucky teeth!

Haggis
05-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Go lucky teeth!

A cross check to the mouth should take care of them just fine. :D

robeiae
05-18-2008, 11:38 PM
Mike Ricci told a story, once.

When he was first traded to San Jose, he was in a bar enjoying a few. A young lady approached him and started hitting on him. She eventually said something like "I want to take you home and eat you up." At that point, he plucked his teeth out and dropped them in her beer. "Still wanna take me home?"

Haggis
05-18-2008, 11:41 PM
Hockey is certainly not a teeth-friendly game.

soleary
05-18-2008, 11:44 PM
CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS!!!

Oh, did you mean this year?

DALLAS STARS, the first team to come back from 3 down to win in 7!!!!

Haggis
05-18-2008, 11:46 PM
CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS!!!

Oh, did you mean this year?

DALLAS STARS, the first team to come back from 3 down to win in 7!!!!

*glares at soleary*

robeiae
05-18-2008, 11:48 PM
*glares at soleary*
Well, at soleary's ankles, anyway.

Haggis
05-18-2008, 11:50 PM
Well, at soleary's ankles, anyway.

*hops on top of Rob's head...glares at soleary's knees*

soleary
05-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Hee hee hee

Actually, they'll be the first team to do it in over 30 years if they can pull it off. I'm a true Chicagoan, but I can see the Stars complex from my window. (Oh, and they were a Midwestern team way back when so that takes some of the sting out of it).

Soccer Mom
05-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Yup, we stole 'em from Minnesota.

robeiae
05-18-2008, 11:57 PM
I'm a true Chicagoan...
Gack! Then how can you not be rooting for Chelios?!?! Inconceivable...