Paper or Plastic?

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
I read where plastic bags take 4% of the nation's petroleum. So I have stopped using them, and always ask for paper. I know paper has it's problems also, but it does disinagrates and doesn't end up on tree limbs like plastic bags, it also does not hurt the animals..

I recycle my paper bags.. I use them to place cookies on when they first come out of the oven, for book covers and as a fire starter for our wood stove (we heat exclusively with wood).

What type of bags do you use and why...

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our grocery store stopped having paper bags years ago. We take boxes in the back of the car and load the groceries in them in the parking lot. Do you know how much food it takes to feed a family of nine? Unreal. :?D I need a revolving door on the refrigerator.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Our grocery store stopped having paper bags years ago. We take boxes in the back of the car and load the groceries in them in the parking lot. Do you know how much food it takes to feed a family of nine? Unreal. :?D I need a revolving door on the refrigerator.

I can imagine... Our grocery store stopped using them, but they still have paper bags.. We have 5 in our family and I run out of space where to put the groceries,,, but then 3 days latter... the shelves are bare again..

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
Great thought Joyce. I've been automatically asking for plastic for years as I used to walk home with the groceries and carrying them in plastic was so much easier. Like everyone, I have a bag that is stuffed with plastic bags for reusing someday. I think I'll put them in the trunk and start reusing them now.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Incredible isn't it? I think my boys are responsible for half the nation's food consumption!

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great thought Joyce. I've been automatically asking for plastic for years as I used to walk home with the groceries and carrying them in plastic was so much easier. Like everyone, I have a bag that is stuffed with plastic bags for reusing someday. I think I'll put them in the trunk and start reusing them now.

They have a bin at the store to bring back the used ones, but I'd never remember to do it.

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
They have a bin at the store to bring back the used ones, but I'd never remember to do it.
Most of the time I shop at Aldi's and do like you with your boxes. But there were times I even bought bags for 10 cents each. At least if the bags are stored in the trunk, you can't forget.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score

I always forget them too. I've been getting paper for the last year...

Another thing is plastic bottles. It is also contaminating the oceans. I went to wild life center this past summer, and they told me sea glass is not being found now due to the plastic bottles... They get tossed in the ocean and never break down.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another thing is plastic bottles. It is also contaminating the oceans. I went to wild life center this past summer, and they told me sea glass is not being found now due to the plastic bottles... They get tossed in the ocean and never break down.

Sorry about that...

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Paper or Plastic? "

Kill a tree or kill the earth?

Your choice.....you have 3 seconds..2......1

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
I use cloth or canvas bags -- the handles don't hurt your hands, they don't rip with heavy loads, you use them again and again... I carry about a dozen of them in the back of my vehicle and just take them in with me. I started when some stores started charging for every bag you used.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
I use cloth or canvas bags -- the handles don't hurt your hands, they don't rip with heavy loads, you use them again and again... I carry about a dozen of them in the back of my vehicle and just take them in with me. I started when some stores started charging for every bag you used.

My favorite supermarket starting selling the canvas bags for $1 each so i bought some and have been using them. On a rare trip to Wal-mart today (my daughter wanted to buy a new CD and that's the only place in town that has any) I noticed that they even had some canvas bags for $1 that say "Paper or plastic? Neither."

sunna

Registered
Reaction score

I do this too: it's far more convenient and I don't have to feel at all guilty. :)

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I use cloth or canvas bags, too, unless my groceries are being delivered. Then it's paper.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
I'm finding a lot of stores now are giving them away as a promo thing from time to time. I've picked up three new ones in the last week or so, all given to me by stores that are encouraging people to be green.

I wish they would do that here... I can't afford an extra 10 dollars right now added to my grocery bill.