Writers.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
For the past couple weeks the site has been crashing more frequently, and with longer duration. Several people there had mentioned it, and asked the moderator (there's only one) what was up, with no reply; now it's been gone for three days straight. Strange. Oh well. Just FYI.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hamish hasn't been "mod" for a few months now. The new guy is/was Sam, IIRC. They've been down for longer, FWIW. Probably trying to shoehorn more ad space.

ETA: WN has returned without Agents and Craft forums. No word from Sam yet.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Well, they recovered for a couple weeks (with, as I suspected, more adspace), but they're down again. Maybe they're enlarging the topic titles some more. :rolleyes:

Never did get a response from Sam.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I used to frequent WN before I found AW, then I totally defected.

The "straw that broke the camel's back" was when a poster wanted to know why publishers weren't interested in his book about how a man "found love" with a ten year old boy. The thread was both sickening and disturbing, but it was never deleted or anything. That's about when I completely stopped going there.

That and some of the membes got on my last nerve.

allen

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Love 'em or lump 'em, it's back. (Was down four days for me, 'though by post times some were able to get on last night.)

Bourgeois Nerd

The writer around the corner
Registered
Reaction score
I used to frequent WN before I found AW, then I totally defected.

The "straw that broke the camel's back" was when a poster wanted to know why publishers weren't interested in his book about how a man "found love" with a ten year old boy. The thread was both sickening and disturbing, but it was never deleted or anything. That's about when I completely stopped going there.

That and some of the membes got on my last nerve.

allen

LMAO! Wow. This is seriously funny and disturbing. And I thought my book was controversial. :ROFL:

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gone?

I know from this thread that they have a history of going down. I've rarely gone to the site, but remembered an old discussion there someone had once pointed out that I wanted to find.

The url now directs to a Bluehost holding page, and when I googled to make sure I had the address right, there's now a note below the site link on Google that reads, "This site may harm your computer."

Anyone know what's going on?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
WN had been collecting malware through their ads for several months, and finally made it onto Google's "attack site" list. The domain isn't set to expire until 2011, so either the owner or the host pulled the site.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Cao! It was actually a link I believe you posted somewhere back in the day that led me there this morning (pertinent to another discussion over in B&BC). No surprise, here, that you'd show up with helpful information. You always do.

:e2headban

Kensington

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Problems at WritersNet

Has anyone been over there recently? They have this dreadful new software that's impossible to navigate and the new moderator has alienated many long time members with her actions -- selective censorship, etc. It used to be a thriving site, but there is very little activity there now.

http://www.writers.net/

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Errr, not to squelch things before they get started -- but I'm gonna squelch this line of conversation before it gets started. :) Generally, we try to encourage AW members to leave their issues with other message boards and the mods/citizens there, on those other boards and not bring them here -- at least anything beyond a recommended/not recommended general discussion or a "do you guys know what's up, the site doesn't seem to be online right now?"

As a board manager, myself, I'd encourage you to write the Writers.net admin/owner with your concerns.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
In point of fact, they use the same vBulletin software as AW. Newer version, but same structure.

As for "censorship" ... too little, too late, IMNSHO. I stopped posting there years ago due to the crush of spam and trolls.

Now if they can just refrain from reordering the forums every other day, it might return to being a useful site.

As a board manager, myself, I'd encourage you to write the Writers.net admin/owner with your concerns.
It does amuse me that early complaints were they were making it too much like AW.

Last edited:

Clementine B

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
An example of censorship at WN

A thread that was started on WN re this call for submissions at AW, was deleted as being in poor taste and against their TOS.

"Seeking humorous non-fiction about poop. Yes poop. [token advance, royalties]

This Book is Sh*t!

A Collection of Hilarious True-life Stories and Essays About Shit, Complete with Corn

Edited by Garrett Calcaterra

Seeking humorous essays, articles, and true-life stories having to do with shit. Shitting at work, pants shitting, shitting etiquette, philosophical musings on shit... if it's funny submit it. No coprophilia or sexual content please. Poop is funny, not sexy. Terms to be negotiated once we have a publisher lined up. Agents are currently reviewing the proposal. In all likelihood, contributors will receive a token advance, and royalties if/when the book sells well."

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213224

WN members subsequently started up another thread titled: Why was the poop thread removed?

Last edited:

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
A thread that was started on WN yesterday re this call for submissions at AW was deleted as being in poor taste and against their TOS.

"Seeking humorous non-fiction about poop. Yes poop. [token advance, royalties]

This Book is Sh*t!

A Collection of Hilarious True-life Stories and Essays About Shit, Complete with Corn

Edited by Garrett Calcaterra

Seeking humorous essays, articles, and true-life stories having to do with shit. Shitting at work, pants shitting, shitting etiquette, philosophical musings on shit... if it's funny submit it. No coprophilia or sexual content please. Poop is funny, not sexy. Terms to be negotiated once we have a publisher lined up. Agents are currently reviewing the proposal. In all likelihood, contributors will receive a token advance, and royalties if/when the book sells well."

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213224

*Sarcasm alert*

It looks like they've achieved the pinacle of literary achievement. We might as well all give up now, guys.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
:rolleyes: It's a privately owned board, folks. If they don't want shit on it, that's their right and is not censorship.

Clementine B

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
A whole thread was deleted, and a senior member banned because of this image, which the moderator claimed was "nudity," and "obscene." It isn't nudity. The underwear is painted onto the fabric. It's the latest fashion craze from Japan.

59869855.jpg

Yet threads started up to attack other members, with titles such as "Is Martin’s enormous penis straight or curved?" which are really crude, are allowed to remain.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm being too subtle: all confusion between censorship, right, and privilege aside, if you have a problem with the way they run their board, the only effective place to complain is to them. If they don't respond to your satisfaction, then don't go back.

Clementine B

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I've never been a member at WN. The site just never appealed to me. But I do surf around it now and then to see if there's anything new. And there is a huge brouhaha going on at the moment over the issues previously mentioned. They have definitely lost a lot of their membership. You don't see many of the old names popping up any more, and very few new ones, either.

The new software has been in place for months, but it still continues to be a vexing problem. Apparently, it's even difficult to register, or log in. I don't know why they're not fixing it. There has been ample time to do so. And then there's the moderation, which can at best, only be described as inconsistent.

And I agree that if you don't like it leave. Makes sense. However, some of these people have been members for ages, and have contributed a lot to the site, over the years, in terms of their time and expertise. Some of them have started up their own forum, and I wish them every success.

Deleted member 42

The new software has been in place for months, but it still continues to be a vexing problem. Apparently, it's even difficult to register, or log in. I don't know why they're not fixing it.

To be fair, vbulletin is non trivial to set up or admin. Moreover the next 4.x version is way different, and if you don't know a lot about how forums and Content Management Systems work, it's awfully easy to trip over yourself.

Have some patience regarding the software stuff; it's not easy. Really, it's not--I've been doing this stuff for mumbledy-mumbledy years, and I've got shawkins and other peeps to bail AW out, and it's still not trivial. Just give them a while to get the kinks figured out.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
(What Lisa said. It's part of why I've been dragging my feet so, wrt upgrading to AW to vBulletin 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.