My own gas price "protest"

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
Actually, "protest" might be the wrong word, since I believe the law of supply and demand isn't something that can be persuaded to change with a protest. The way I see it, the appropriate thing to do about high gas prices is to use less gas and demonstrate how you are doing this in case others want to immitate you. However, this project does have an element of protest in it as I've made it a little bit over the top and put in an element of sacrifice, what I'm willing to give up in exchange for spending less on gas. It's also something of a protest against the various ideas people have circulated about how they want to bring the price of gas down without actually buying less gas.

So I've resolved not to use my car for commuting to work in April. At all. Since I've got a 40 mile commute each way and no public transportation, I'm riding to work on a motorcycle regardless of what the weather's doing. I call my effort Motorcycle 4 A Month, and I've created a blog to document it. So far I've had to make an exception once, when I had to borrow a work truck to deal with a broken water heater at home. So I've tacked on an extra day of commuting by bike in May to make up for this.

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
We hit $1.25/litre here last week, and we're not even past the May long weekend. It will be brutal this summer.

I don't have a motorcycle so we've just stopped all the extra trips and running around... do it all in one trip, and then walk the rest of the time :)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like a great idea except for one thing: You'll be risking your life to save gas. If you are involved in a collision (gawd forbid), the chances of suffering serious injury or death will be far greater than if you were traveling in a car or truck.

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
I'm a pretty cautious rider, and I don't ride without head to toe safety gear. I'm aware it's more risky than taking a car, but it's a risk I believe is managable. I've ridden to work a lot before, just not for a solid month.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I took a test run on one a Night Rod at Mann's. It was love at first sight. My Soft Tail is now for sale.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am once again pleased to have found a home within 4 miles of Mr. Maryn's work, in walking distance to two of the four public schools our kids attended, 4 miles from groceries, and 6 to 10 miles from virtually all other errand running. I probably drive only about 250 miles a month, maybe even less, except when we're transporting assorted offspring to and from various institutions. That's nearing its end, and just in time, too, since my last fill-up cost over $60.

Maryn, who was shocked

MichaelDeVere

Banned
Reaction score
Just think of the instantaneous price decrease that would happen if the FEDGOV offered a tax credit to all employers who instituted strong telecommute policies.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think that would be great, an incentive to businesses which increased work-from-home. I know my husband's employer isn't big on it, although those with serious health problems sometimes do it for a few months while they recover. But I can't see a reason why they can't allow a certain portion of the staff to telecommute on certain days, at least, while everyone comes in on other days for matters which need to be handled face to face by the full staff.

Oh well, they didn't ask me, did they? I'll just stand by the road, ready to wave to Matt as he speeds past on the bike. Good for him, eh?

Maryn, finding a good coat and a hat

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
I have to walk 1 mile to the main road, and then the nearest store is still 5 miles away. Living on a mountain makes bicyles and other modes of transportation, mute... so I have to use my car.

I try to do everything in one trip. And even though I have a Kia Rio which is good on gas, I still spend about $40.00 a week on gas...

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I started asking for receipts at the gas station because the missus thought I was kidding. What does she know? She flies all the time.

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
Funny thing is, just before the gas prices started to climb, we traded our truck for a diesel to help cut gas cost. LOL I was so glad to see the truckers gathering around the White House. The gas companies had the nerve to announce that due to new processing that had to further increase the cost of diesel. Bull! Diesel fuel still comes out four processes before gas. Who are they kidding. They're turning the economy into a tailspin from one end of the country to the other. It's not just what each person spends individually to get to work, it's how much everything increases when it costs so much to get delivered. Soon enough, we won't just be rationing the car for grocery shopping, we'll be rationing the groceries, too.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I read an article recently on how United Parcel Service cut down its fuel consumption by changing their drivers' routes so the vehicles make more right turns than lefts. This way, the drivers are more likely to join the flow of traffic sooner rather than waiting to make left turns. The savings in gasoline consumption was dramatic, about thirty million gallons! (I'm fairly sure that's the right amount, though I'm going from memory.)

Unfortunately, the savings wasn't passed on to UPS customers, and the cost of shipping keeps going through the roof.

Last edited:

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Are savings ever passed on to the consumer?
Nevah! That's the way of the business world.

I own a small company, and whenever I find ways to save money, I keep it for myself as payment for a job well done. :)

Here's a simple yet interesting illustration of how a consumer's dollars can support a number of businesses. I pay $3 for a leather wallet and wholesale it for $10. The distributor then sells the accessory for $15 to a catalog company that marks the item up threefold. The consumer, hapless buyer that he is, pays $45 for an item that costs less than $3 to produce, and is perfectly happy with his purchase.

And that's nothing compared to the markup that takes place with exotic leather goods, such as ostrich and alligator, where the payoff is in the hundreds and even thousands of dollars.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My wife has had to increase her fees due to airline costs. Cummins threw a coniption fit like an old lady who finds her prunes are missing. But it was that or nothing. Boeing was easy to deal with.

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Funny thing is, just before the gas prices started to climb, we traded our truck for a diesel to help cut gas cost. LOL I was so glad to see the truckers gathering around the White House. The gas companies had the nerve to announce that due to new processing that had to further increase the cost of diesel. Bull! Diesel fuel still comes out four processes before gas. Who are they kidding. They're turning the economy into a tailspin from one end of the country to the other. It's not just what each person spends individually to get to work, it's how much everything increases when it costs so much to get delivered. Soon enough, we won't just be rationing the car for grocery shopping, we'll be rationing the groceries, too.

As the cost of diesel goes up, the expenses for the farmers also goes up, and the cost of shipping produce goes up, and that will come directly to the consumer. We could see the cost of food increasing dramatically over the next few months.

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. And with a house full of teenaged boys, this is why I have a huge veggie garden, a yard full of fruit trees, a giant berry patch, a couple of cows, and am getting some chickens. If I can grow some of my own food, I know what I'm eating, my costs are reduced, and I'm doing that little bit extra because diesel engines don't have to run to feed my family. I know it's not much, but I guess every little bit helps.

(I also have a whole lot of grape vines here! They make great wine! AND I have a new hops patch. A few years ago we made the most incredible honey lager ... and holy doodle did it knock your socks off! :D)

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow... do her arms ever get sore?

Not often enough! Those gas conversations are just the best:

"Receipt?"
"Yes. I got one."
"Where is it, then?"
"In my jacket."
"Please."
"Here."
"What's this charge for $3.99 plus tax?"
"Beef jerky."
"Was that necessary?"
"Pumping gas has makes me hungry. Want some?"
"You're daft."

Later that same day...

"I thought you filled the car up."
"I did."
"It was an eigth low when I started it."
"I had to drive home, didn't I?"
"It's not that far."
"I had a lot of jerky to eat."

Good grief! I can't do anything right.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...(I also have a whole lot of grape vines here! They make great wine! AND I have a new hops patch. A few years ago we made the most incredible honey lager ... and holy doodle did it knock your socks off! :D)
Can I help tend the fields? I'm a good worker. I'd labor for free if I can partake in the harvest. :)

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Can I help tend the fields? I'm a good worker. I'd labor for free if I can partake in the harvest. :)

LOL! All hands are welcome... the making of the beer and wine usually requires much testing for quality control... ;)

I have to say it's a lot of work, but a lot of fun, and the results are well worth it. I go grocery shopping about once every three weeks, other than for milk for the grubs. It saves a ton of money!