Are you a writer living in a small town or in a large town?

Upbeat

Banned
Reaction score
Personally, I find small town living more suitable to the quiet that many writers crave.
Still others may find city life stimulating - providing a never-ending source of story ideas.
Either way, most writers seek some sort of a comfort zone.

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Small town girl, here.

I think what's more condusive to writing is the niche we carve out within our busy lives to simply sit down and do it. How, when and where we write is as personal and distinctive as what we write. Once I'm in front of the computer writing my own world of characters, the outside world of family and everyday living tends to fall away.

Probably the main reason I write!

Welcome to AW... :)
EM

Upbeat

Banned
Reaction score
Elaine Margarett - regarding/ 'the outside world....tends to fall away.'
That it does...which could explain why so many writers are obsessed with it.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Rishon's got about 280k folks but it's laid out with lots of parks and flowers in the medians so it feels open and not cramped. I lived in Arlington Virginia for 4 years and that felt similar.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Small town...and not even in town. I live about 5 miles from town on 40 acres. I don't like having people around me.

ETA: The town I live 5 miles from has just under 2000 people in it. (I had to go look up the population...I didn't know)

Last edited:

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
I live in Croydon NH aka as Coniston the town for which the book was written. Our estimated population is 750 people and 650 canines. :) We have the oldest operating one room school house in the country and 1-3 graders attend.

We have a Police Chief, no other police force, and he takes 2-3 students from the school each month out to lunch.

In town we have one general store, where you get free coffee with a fill up.
We have a carpet store, and a volunteer Fire Department.
Anita Shreve's book "Light on Snow" took place in my town.

It is quiet to say the least. Except I heard a rumor that there is going to be an underage drinking party tonight near me. Teenagers are basically the same in a small town as a large. :)

I grew up in a big city and sometimes miss the hustle and bussle. I take about 2-3 trips a year to larger cities. I don't want to get hicktified. :) This past year I have been to San Diego, Atlantic City, and NYC.

I write no matter where I am, as long as it is quiet in the room.

GeorgieB

Almost a wannabe writer
Registered
Reaction score
Small town, baby...small town all the way.

We live in a very small town, sort of a slow-down-on-the-main-highway type of place. The highway is the main street. There's a post office with mail boxes (no street delivery), two quick-eateries, one upper echelon open-for-lunch place, coupla' art galleries for the tourists, two gas stations that bookend the town and about 800 full-time residents. That swells to maybe 2000 when the 'valley' people come up to escape Phoenix heat.

No police department, the sheriif and the highway patrol suffice. We have a volunteer fire department staffed by people who know how to squelch wild fires through long hours actually fighting them.

Elk and deer in the yard (got lots of photos off the deck), and quiet, except for when one of the two bars in town has a karaoke night. The town is on a large highway loop (Phoenix-Verde Valley-Strawberry-Pine-Payson-Phoenix) that the Harley crowd loves to run on weekends (some stopping for karaoke) such that the sound of Harley rumble echoes off the mountains all day and into the night.

Small town all the way. Wouldn't trade it for the noise of any city.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
30-minutes-to-the-nearest-bookstore small. I'm hoping to move closer to civilization, preferably before they shut down the interstate in my area (the dumbest roadwork plans come from MDOT, I swear)....but only a little closer. I'd like to be able to walk to a bar if I want to, and not have to plan my day around getting groceries. And having pizza delivered might occasionally be nice...but I also don't want to hear nothing but traffic when I open the windows, or breathe car exhaust, or have to go driving just to find a field to walk in.

I just want everything. :)

But I'm pretty sure I can write anywhere, given an adequate adjustment period.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
Although my town is listed on Virginia state maps, it took a lot of doing. It wasn't for a long time; that's how small it is. We have a general store that used to house the post office, but the USPS closed it recently due to lack of interest. There's somewhere around 200 people in a twenty mile radius. The houses are clustered, five or six in a general vicinity. I live in a cluster of 5, but we're not exactly packed against each other. My front porch looks out on a creek, and behind the creek? Hills and a meadow that used to serve as a pasture. Now the farmer's grandson uses it just to make hay, so it grows and grows then the grass is cut about 3 times a summer. I like it. It relaxes me, but there's still that hour's commute to work which is becoming steadily more difficult due to gas prices.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
The penitentiary I currently live in, is in a small, isolated area. But it has a large population. So kinda both, I guess.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I grew up in a small town and now I live in a small city.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My town is about 35,000, and I like it very much. I've never lived in such a diverse place where everybody just mixed instead of the various groups sticking to their own neighborhoods.

It's a suburb of a small city, with a total metro area population of about a million.

Except for lawn mowers or reroofing, I rarely hear a peep from neighbors, yet I'm close enough to things that dashing out on a whim is fully possible. It's also nice to live in a big enough area that it hosts decent theatre and musicians' tours play here.

Maryn, who likes this place

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
Out in the country, and 4 miles from a small town. A bigger town (maybe 40,000) is about 30 miles away. I despise cities.

mcnorth

Gigantopithecus canadensis
Registered
Reaction score
Town of just under 4000. Three hour drive to the nearest traffic light.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Large city (though probably not compared to the US), but I do have the best of both worlds in that I live in a quiet area of that city, with a really big park just across the road where I can go for quiet, and my parents live on the other side of Scotland in a village with approx. 5,000 people, with their house right on the edge of it so right in the country. I can go there too if I fancy a change.

Saying that, right now I'm on a research trip to London for my vampire WIP and I've had loads of ideas already. I never had any problem writing when I lived here either.

Upbeat

Banned
Reaction score
Jess Ramage - regarding/'...I do have the best of both worlds...'
I've always thought of Scotland as a beautiful, relatively quiet place to live - somewhat rural overall. You seem to have confirmed my thoughts.
As for London - I'd hate to drive an auto on its congested streets.

Upbeat

Banned
Reaction score
HeronW- regarding/ '...lots of parks and flowers on the medians...'
City planners must be doing a good job. I lived in Chicago for awhile; and while there are parks, forest preserves, etc.,. they're not enough to make up for traffic congestion.

Upbeat

Banned
Reaction score
Joycecwilliams - regarding/ 'we have the oldest operating one room schoolhouse in the country'.
It is so good to know there's at least one ! My mother - long ago - taught a rural one-room school with first to seventh graders all in the same room.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We live in a restored old three story funeral home across a gravel road from a very old cemetery. Got 20 acres, a barn and my 'rainhouse'. Nearest neighbor...can't see 'em from here.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
I live in a small town, but not small enough to know everybody. Population is about 20,000, which more than doubles during the academic year when the students at our MAJOR University descend upon us.

Moving here from a small city was the impetus (along a circuitous path) behind my becoming a writer. If I hadn't moved here, I'd be doing other things.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I've always thought of Scotland as a beautiful, relatively quiet place to live

Quiet? I'm just remembering my years living in a flat in Leith...

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I grew up in a small town, between 8 and 10K. Unfortunately it got discovered by tourists when I was a teen and has since ballooned to twice its size, getting even bigger when all the weekend city folk drive up. It's depressing now to see it overrun with expensive wine shops and hoity-toity art galleries. You know it's bad when the shop owners treat you like trash because you're wearing cutoffs and an old shirt. My dad still knows all of the real locals, but that way of life will be gone soon.

Right now I live in a small city but it's essentially a bedroom community, a strip of stores along the freeway. I think I'd prefer to live in a smaller town with more community, or a big city with more opportunities.