Best visual dictionary for fashion/clothing?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
So I just got a copy of DK's Ultimate Visual Dictionary and discovered that, while otherwise thrilling, it does NOT have a section on clothing.

I've realized that what I want is a separate clothing reference.

Does anyone have a particular favorite? There are about five listed on Amazon. I'm looking for something with a great deal of breadth in terms of time periods and place (ie not just modern fashion in the West). I want to be able to, say, flip to 18th century England and see what everyone wore and what it was called. Or ancient Rome.

Recommendations, anyone?

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
i used to be a buyer for a clothing shop. well, buyer/owner. when i asked my dad for the $ to open a store i did not realize how complicated it was to describe specific items--a dirndl skirt for example, or a dolman-- let alone buy thousands of dollars of clothing from catalogs w/ no pictures. i was in over my head for a while. so i asked a lot of home ec teachers and salespeople a lot of questions. you would be surprised how much an experienced sales clerk will know about clothing and styles. home ec and english teachers do too. think of all the kids who ask "what is that stupid looking thing around shakespeare's neck? did he get his ears clipped at the vet's?" a good library will have a book or two on costumes. i like browsing through the books because you can get ideas.

i think the online dictionary i use most is called yourspecialtydictionary. then i google images to see if this is what i am wanting to use. if all else fails i ask a 77 year old friend of mine who weaves, knits and sews. she is a methodist minister and knows everything! --s6

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I just love it when someone digs up one of my year-old threads and... posts and advertisement?

Okay, that's weird.

I actually did consider that dictionary, but it was too contemporary. I was looking more for clothing styles throughout history.

Ultimately, I settled for the internet.

As with so many other things.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
okay--while we are all here, i am looking for the name of a shoe circa 1950--before the stiletto heels came into fashion there was a chunky little shoe with a low heel, maybe it was a stacked heel, that women wore with suits and day clothes. some tied like an oxford. i was very young in those days and most of the world that i saw was on a shoe level. i remember these very well but no one can name them. help!--s6