Help for ideas for a friend of mine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nybx4life

Registered
Reaction score
Here's his case: He's a really good artist (he seems to draw really good, like all his characters deserve to be in a fighting game, or Mortal Kombat), and he wants to get his graphic novel published (similar to me, trying to get my novel published).

See, he's got the story placed (technically, he seemed to write about SIX SEASONS worth of storyline episodes (he wanted it to be a cartoon as well, I guess), but he can't seem to be able to draw storyboards for his characters.

Anybody got any tips for storyboard making, or where to find any local art groups that could probably get my friend out of his artist's block?

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
Storyboarding is really not that much different from making a graphic novel or a webcomic in that it's all sequential art. Your friend would want to first create a layout for a storyboard, somewhat similar to this and use the written script to work from there.

I took some animation courses back in the day, and storyboarding was one of those courses. I'd recommend taking a class if your friend is still having trouble about where to start.

Elliot Cowan

Publish Me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elliotelliotelliot.com
So you are saying that he draws very well but can't draw storyboards?
How old is he?
I would imagine in his teens.
To learn storyboards you really need to watch as many movies as you can lay your eyes on.
Learn filmic terms.
Look at storyboards drawn by other artists.
And I would imagine in his case he needs to draw better.
Send him along to www.drawingboard.org which is basically the same kind of forum as this but for cartoonists/illustrators and such.
They're harsh critics, but if he's prepared to listen he'll learn an awful lot from the folks there.

The storyboard example Infinity Goddess gives is ok, but much too small for animation boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.