• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

need a word! - fall from grace, reputation ruined

Status
Not open for further replies.

avid-dreamer

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! My brain is on freeze. I think I've been in front of this computer for too many hours. I need a word that sums up someone's fall from grace (reputation in the toilet). For example:

If a highly respected president was caught having an affair in the oval office how would you guys refer to him

A ______ president

Thanks for the help!!

Kristy101081

Registered
Reaction score
I've got two favorites:

ignominy (A ignominious president)
vilify (A vilified president)

but, for practical screenwriting purposes I might choose one of the many listed above :D

I didn't see infamous on the list anywhere, that's a good one too!

NikeeGoddess

Banned
Reaction score
If a highly respected president was caught having an affair in the oval office how would you guys refer to him
are you referring to a particular president?
what if he wasn't highly respected? -- like bush ;)
then i'd call him...
A horny president

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
beleaguered
harried
harrassed

...the implication here being the guy is decent at his core, but is set upon by outside forces wanting to tear him down for his mistakes/missteps.

britneyized

...when you have everything in the world going for you, youth, fame, money, 'talent,' and wind up pissing it all away over some sleazy lothario gold digging poseur fool.

disenfranchised
censored (not sure if this is the correct spelling for when a president is officially chastised. i'm thinking it's not. 'censured'?)

...i think both of these basically amount to being caught doing some kind of wrong, yet not so horrible an offense as to be excised from office... though that won't stop people from viewing him with a squinty eye from now on. maybe 'disenfranchised' doesn't apply as much or has a different meaning? i'm thinking more about how that word connotes to me, though it may technically mean a permanent removal, i'm suddenly not sure once i actually think about it.

dismatic

...a word i just made up to mean actively screwing himself up despite his intentions, to where a current review would result in a dismal performance evaluation.

castigated

...punished in order to be corrected. this doesn't apply so much to a president as it would, for example, apply to an employee to be susupended without pay for being late too many times. while it does mean also to punish or reprimand severely, censure is a much more appropriate choice for a president that means about the same thing (though being censured doesn't mean there's any real punishment ~ you can't suspend a president, after all. it does, however, leave a bruise on his legacy. that is, there's also going to be an asterick associated with the name.)

Seif

Registered
Reaction score
Shout out to B.I.G....how about n-n-notorious?

(sorry)

Status
Not open for further replies.