• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Just a quick question... - announcer, herald, master of ceremonies, booming voice??

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrtwish

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I have just a quick question here, and I hope someone can help me out. In my current WIP, an unknown voice announces Royal members as my MC is walking down a staircases, and I was wondering how to format the announcement of the Royal figures. Would it look like something like:
"Vion Cralast," the voice announced.
"Vion Dalal."
and then continue with a new paragraph for each announcement, or would it be written differently?

darrtwish

Registered
Reaction score
It's actually a fantasy novel, and my collaborator and I made up the term Vion, but what I was asking (sorry If I was being a bit vague about it), is is that the proper way to format the text, when someone one is announcing several people's enterances at once.

Last edited:

Constantine K

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds fine to me. Make it clear that someone unknown is announcing. Maybe have the narrator question where that person is?

I would do this:

A booming voice echoed across the stone walls, seeming to come from everywhere at once:
"Vion Cralast.
"Vion Dala.
"Vion Hoodeyhatta.
"Vion Slappacok."
The voice rose higher in pitch as he announced the last one.
"VION AMALAKADO!"

Something like that, at least. I'd probably give a little tidbit about each Vion coming down the stairs to break it up and give meaning to the names.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
I don't think you necessarily need a new line for each new name. How about something like:

"Vion Cralast." There was a brief pause while the next grand figure made her entrance. "Vion Dala. Vion Whoever. Vion Thingy." The list seemed to go on forever.

Constantine K

Registered
Reaction score
Good point, girlyswot. Sometimes the new paragraph just gives more focus to each individual name (if they're important) . . . I notice that I will skim when a series of names is listed in a book all in the same paragraph.

That's just me, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.