Bio Dilema

WillSmall

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If an agent's submission guidelines call for a short bio, but you have nothing really relevant to your work to include...

Is it better to skip the bio and violate the submission guidelines, or to include a very short (maybe one sentence) bio with the most relevant thing you can come up with, even if its a stretch?

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Don't ignore it. Did you take creative writing or journalism courses in college? Have you written anything that's been published anywhere? Why did you start to write and why do you think you have something to say. WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT ARE YOU ALL ABOUT WITH RESPECT TO WRITING. Say something, as brief as it may be.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I had no writing credits. I put I attended the Maui writers conference and retreat and was a PhD student. It's not that big of a deal- they want to know something about you- are you a high school student? a college student ? a doctor? is there anything that has to do with your book i.e. a police officer/ lawyer doing a murder mystery or legal thriller...

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
I know what you mean, Will. The bio is hard when you don't have anything to put in it! I have no publications or writing credentials, not a student, don't have a job out of the home, have nothing that qualifies me to write this particular story. So, I feel your pain as I'm currently struggling through this myself!

I read in an interview with an agent or editor (and, I apologize, I can't recall who it was) that they like to see the bio paragraph even from those who don't have any publications because it helps them distinguish the serious writer from the weekend hobbyist, those writers who think that anyone can scribble off a novel and get published. That agent/editor wanted to see that the person querying was committed to grow and develop as a writer and had what it took to stay with it for the long haul. So, memberships in national/international writing-related organizations (RWA, HNS, etc.), memberships in writing groups or critique groups, attendance at conferences, writing classes, retreats, etc. It's hard, though, because you don't want to stretch something that really isn't there.

I skipped the bio paragraph in the first round of queries that I sent out, and I'm trying to tell myself that was why I didn't get any nibbles. ;)

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
lol, and then there are the agents who say "If you don't have a bio, just leave it out. Trying to pad it is the obvious mark of an amateur." But of course right now you are dealing with a requested bio. Still I wouldn't let it get you this concerned. You seem to be worrying an awful lot about this, posting numerous questions about it over AW, I think your energy would be better placed in making the rest of your query awesome, and your novel awesome. As Orion said, I too had no writing credentials and I was just fine. Worse comes to worse you can say something as simple as: "Having written since he was able to breathe, this is WillSmall's first novel." And leave it at that. You'll be fine!

Good luck!

WillSmall

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess I did post the question in a few places. :tongue Anyway, I do have writing experience, its just more of a technical/academic nature. The first draft of my query letter said, "[FONT=&quot]I have a juris doctorate and have earned a CALI Award in legal writing." [/FONT]But over in "query hell" they told my I should drop it because it doesn't relate to a fantasy adventure novel. I think I'll throw it in though, if it is specifically requested.

Thanks for your help!

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Once again I agree with Toothpaste. Definitely don't pad it. Put down what you can. If the rest of your work bowls them over you have nothing to worry about.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Well in a query often if your bio has nothing to do with writing fiction, or the topic you are writing about, or your previous published in fiction credits, it's not worth mentioning. It becomes that less is more thing that agents prefer. BUT you said that the agency specifically requested a bio. In that instance, what you put down I think is just right!

WillSmall

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again for everyone's advice. I really appreciate it.