PDA

View Full Version : How much of your personal self do you share?

Jackfishwoman
04-11-2008, 10:34 PM
This is maybe more of a philisophical question, but, I would love to hear some feedback from authors who give public talks on their writing/books.
-How much of your personal life do you share?
-When readers/interviewers ask "have you really gone through those things in your (fiction) book?" - what do you tell them?
-Do you think that your readers should know that your fiction is informed by true events in your life?
-How do you respond when readers/interviewers ask & ply for more personal info about you?

HeronW
04-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Last question first--be careful of those who won't let it go. Some can be leeches, some can be dangerous, a few sincerely want to know the exact details of how you did it--and won't realize even that won't save them--they need to find their own path and go forward.

3rd Q: If you let the readers know your fiction is based on a true story--use your fictional characters to emboss, not the real folks who may still be alive, moved on, and who may prefer their privacy not be invaded by strangers.

2nd Q: If certain events have recipitated into stories, those stories are usually very far from what happened to me. I can say in a general way: thus and so helped me to cope with the death of my sister. I and the MC share the same sense of loss, anger, etc, and we work through it together.

1st Q: Depends on how open a person you are, your comfort level.

Answers will differ, so will situations. What you say can come back to haunt you so think of future books/publishers who may hear about your current angst chats and they may be leery of taking you on.
good luck :}

acousticgroupie
05-05-2008, 06:10 AM
I share what I'm comfortable with. For me, writing non-fiction, my books ARE personal. I use myself as an example to show people they're not alone:) But yeah, if anyone prys just show off my wedding band and run!

johnrobison
05-05-2008, 06:27 AM
This is maybe more of a philisophical question, but, I would love to hear some feedback from authors who give public talks on their writing/books.

I do quite a bit of that.

-How much of your personal life do you share?

I guess I share what's in the book and on the blog. You'd have to read it and make your own judgement.

-When readers/interviewers ask "have you really gone through those things in your (fiction) book?" - what do you tell them?

I only write non fiction, and the essential elements in my stories can be verified independently of my own writing at any moment.

-Do you think that your readers should know that your fiction is informed by true events in your life?

See above

-How do you respond when readers/interviewers ask & ply for more personal info about you?

I don't have much concept of personal space so I usually answer, and I may say unexpected things.