How much of your personal self do you share?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackfishwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Wandering between Mexico and the Arctic Circle
Website
www.myspace.com
This is maybe more of a philisophical question, but, I would love to hear some feedback from authors who give public talks on their writing/books.
-How much of your personal life do you share?
-When readers/interviewers ask "have you really gone through those things in your (fiction) book?" - what do you tell them?
-Do you think that your readers should know that your fiction is informed by true events in your life?
-How do you respond when readers/interviewers ask & ply for more personal info about you?

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Last question first--be careful of those who won't let it go. Some can be leeches, some can be dangerous, a few sincerely want to know the exact details of how you did it--and won't realize even that won't save them--they need to find their own path and go forward.

3rd Q: If you let the readers know your fiction is based on a true story--use your fictional characters to emboss, not the real folks who may still be alive, moved on, and who may prefer their privacy not be invaded by strangers.

2nd Q: If certain events have recipitated into stories, those stories are usually very far from what happened to me. I can say in a general way: thus and so helped me to cope with the death of my sister. I and the MC share the same sense of loss, anger, etc, and we work through it together.

1st Q: Depends on how open a person you are, your comfort level.

Answers will differ, so will situations. What you say can come back to haunt you so think of future books/publishers who may hear about your current angst chats and they may be leery of taking you on.
good luck :}

Last edited:

acousticgroupie

Registered
Reaction score
I share what I'm comfortable with. For me, writing non-fiction, my books ARE personal. I use myself as an example to show people they're not alone:) But yeah, if anyone prys just show off my wedding band and run!

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
This is maybe more of a philisophical question, but, I would love to hear some feedback from authors who give public talks on their writing/books.

I do quite a bit of that.

-How much of your personal life do you share?

I guess I share what's in the book and on the blog. You'd have to read it and make your own judgement.

-When readers/interviewers ask "have you really gone through those things in your (fiction) book?" - what do you tell them?

I only write non fiction, and the essential elements in my stories can be verified independently of my own writing at any moment.

-Do you think that your readers should know that your fiction is informed by true events in your life?

See above

-How do you respond when readers/interviewers ask & ply for more personal info about you?

I don't have much concept of personal space so I usually answer, and I may say unexpected things.

Status
Not open for further replies.