whaddaya call that thing?

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
The other day I remembered something that kids used to make in grade school, and I can't remember what they were called.

So, I'm asking AW'ers for help again.

This was a piece of paper folded up into a four pointed flower-like thing, and you put your thumb and first finger into each section, and when you moved your fingers or thumbs apart, it moved and you could see into it, and that's where something was written. There were eight places inside where words or letters could be written.

I'm sure I haven't described it very well...
I don't even remember what the point of the thing was, but I remember seeing the girls playing with them all the time.

Anybody?

BTW- The last time I posted here asking about some 'thingy' from school days, was when I couldn't remember what a 'scoubidou' was.
Thanks to AW'ers I had my answer in about 5 minutes! LOL

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
'ere ya go!

fortune1.gif
salt-cellar.gif

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
wow! That was fast. But I sorta figured it would take less thatn 5 minutes!

But what did kids write in them? I vaguely remembered things written inside.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
We called them cootie catchers. I am not sure why. I don't remember really well but I think we would write things in them like what kind of person you would be married to... kind of the same things you put on MASH.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
kind of the same things you put on MASH.????

I don't get this. LOL

explain. please.

and now that I think about it, I think they WERE called cootie-catchers. I don't recall hearing them called Fortune teller's or Salt Cellars

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
We called them cootie-catchers too. Girls still make these, btw, my daughter loves them.

MASH was different where I grew up, but I think it can be played with a cootie-catcher. It's the same idea, anyway: what boy will you marry and where will you live?

Which is very interesting when you daughter goes to an all-girls school.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
I think they were called cootie-catchers because you could write little quips, aphorisms, or fortunes on the inside layer and one of them could be "You've got cooties!!" And of course, scientifically, you'd only choose that flap if you really and truly had cooties, right? Right!

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
If I recollect my magic properly, the first four choices were colors: red, blue, green, yellow: after opening the fingers oppposite and back according to the number of letters in the word, you'd get a choice of numbers 1-8, you'd chose one and and after opening the fingers oppposite and back again according to the number count, you'd open again and you'd get the fortune underneath the inner most flap: one fortune usually included cooties

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I recollect my magic properly, the first four choices were colors: red, blue, green, yellow: after opening the fingers oppposite and back according to the number of letters in the word, you'd get a choice of numbers 1-8, you'd chose one and and after opening the fingers oppposite and back again according to the number count, you'd open again and you'd get the fortune underneath the inner most flap: one fortune usually included cooties

This is how I remember it, with the colors and numbers.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I also recall a game where you canceled letters appearing twice in your own name, then any appearing twice in a boy's name, and finally any remaining letters contained in both your own name and a boy's name. You went through those few letters left to determine the fate of your relationship: Hate, Like, Love, Marry.

Maryn, who started doing an example, but the strikeouts got confusing