PDA

View Full Version : Fun with Words

writin52
04-11-2008, 10:13 PM
What word or words make you laugh just by saying them? Use your favourite word in a sentence giving it a new made-up meaning that has nothing to do with what it really means.

Here's one of mine: oxymoron One of those thick-headed people who seem to go through life acting like oxen, but aren't as intelligent.

dobiwon
04-11-2008, 11:19 PM
Two of mine:

gobbledygook: food that you just know if you eat it, it will make you throw up. As in "The thing I hate about going to great-aunt Thelma's is that you have to be polite and eat that gobbledygook she serves."

The other is lickety-split, but these delicate fingers won't even attempt to put that into a sentence :Ssh: -- well, okay: "a frozen concoction consisting of an ice-cream-covered banana on a stick."

Mr Flibble
04-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Arachibutyrophobia -- the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth. I'll get that into a story one day....

And for some reason pendulous. It just sounds funny, and a bit rude. Brannick was very proud of his new invention : The Pendulous Crunchalator.

HeronW
04-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Murgatroyd--from the phrase 'heavens to murgatroyd' which is either giving the heavens to murgatroyd, the distance from one to the other, or that murgatroyd is opposite in all ways to the heavens in climate, fast food, parking spaces :}

Pthom
04-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Okay so I just spent the last hour looking for the origins of Heavens to Murgatroyd (Murgatroid) (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/heavens-to-murgatroyd.html). I think Heron's offered definitions of its meaning are as good as any. ;)

Trish
04-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Lolly-Gobble-Bliss-Bomb. This means my Molly!

HeronW
04-17-2008, 01:31 PM
He was discombobulated and this so soon after being combobulated too.

Spell-it-out
04-18-2008, 03:41 AM
In sports, when a players 'picks up an injury'.

We were running around, having a ball, when trevor picked up an injury.
Stupid man, i told him to leave it, but i guess the bright colurs appealed to him!

paprikapink
04-18-2008, 03:54 AM
The swans approached and rubbernecked to display their love.

HeronW
04-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Tatterdemalion tumbleweeds rolled past, ignoring the world like misanthropic nomads.