• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

American Book Publishing Group (C. Lee Nunn)

solutionrs

Does anyone out there know anything about C. Lee Nunn and AMerican Book?

Dear Rick;

We are pleased to tell you that your book is one of the
few we have selected from our great number of submissions
over this past 30 days. We are looking forward to publishing your book and working with you.

C. Lee Nunn
Director of Operations
[email protected]

James D Macdonald

Re: info on C. Lee Nunn and American Book

Much is explained in <a href="http://www.speculations.com/rumormill/index.php?t=316&show_all_topics=0" target="_new">this thread.</a>

absolutewrite

American Book Publishing

The thread has been removed. Below is the warning posted by Victoria Strauss:

I've gotten over two dozen complaints about this publisher, and have a warning posted on Writer Beware. Complaints include publication delays, nonpayment of royalties, ordering difficulties, poorly produced books, harassment by the publisher--and heavy pressure on authors to buy their own books.

Author bookbuying, in fact, seems to be the main goal of this company. Some writers have reported that their assigned publicity person's main job seems to be persuading them to buy their books (1,000 seems to be the typically-suggested quantity), and the Author Handbook that's sent to writers, ostensibly a guide to the publishing process, is largely devoted to convincing writers that buying huge quantities of their books for resale and distribution to reviewers is a good investment.

ABP also charges a setup fee--in the last contract I saw it was $760.

- Victoria

Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.com

DaveKuzminski

Re: American Book Publishing

Evidently, there's a new wrinkle taking place concerning this publisher. Apparently, there is a section in the contracts that penalizes authors to the tune of $10,000 for saying anything negative about ABPG. One author has stated to me that C. Lee Nunn is using that as a stick to force some of the authors to write disparaging comments about ABPG's critics. Those are then posted by C. Lee Nunn or one of her employees on forums to attack the critics. That tactic also sows confusion and distrust of some writers because it makes it appear that ABPG has real supporters.

AC Crispin

C. Lee Nunn

If this woman had two brain cells to rub together, she'd get out NOW, while she still can. The evidence is mounting steadily.

Remember, Jim van Treese is serving thirty years for doing just about the same thing.

-Ann C. Crispin

keltora

What saddens me is that a person who was running a conference where I was asked to be keynote speaker, contacted me last summer and told me she had sold her first mystery novel, and would I please give her a cover blurb. I did. I read the book and thought it was quite good. I then asked who the publisher was, and she told me American Book Publishing.

I'm waiting to see what happens now. On the one hand, I thought I should warn her, but since she has already signed the contract (which means she has already paid the fee), I fear I am too late.

pegsioux

Thank you for your information on American Book Publishing for I just received their offer (includes refundable deposit clause) and contract. In my research, I could not find them listed anywhere and my attorney is reviewing their contract. Thanks again for I'm new to the publishing world as this is my first book.

James D Macdonald

See if you can find anyone, anywhere, who's had their deposit refunded.

Go to your local bookstore; see if you can find any ABP books on the shelves.

Please, don't sell yourself short.

The only place a writer signs a check is on the back. Money flows toward the writer.

vstrauss

And don't forget to check out the clause in the contract that says you're liable for $10,000 in damages if you say anything negative about the company (it's in the copyright and trademark infringement section, where you wouldn't expect to find it).

Or the reverse-accounted royalties that are cut in half if your book is sold through any dealer that requires discounts of more than 50% (which means any of the online vendors).

- Victoria

James D Macdonald

I have to ask, pegsioux, is your lawyer familiar with publishing contracts? It's a specialty.

pegsioux

My attorney is a very dear friend who I have informed of my findings and she is giving me her opinion to confirm my intuition. And, I did check the contract and yep on both accounts on the clause for $10,000 in damages and accounted royalties are cut if half if your book is sold through any dealer that requires discounts of more than 50%....thanks guys!

Cape2004

PA info

Seems like PA have been the subject of an police investigation.

Unless I read that wrong--maybe its America House---but I think I read that at the SFWA Writer's Beware board.

vstrauss

Re: PA info

It's American Book Publishing that's been the subject of investigation. Different company.

- Victoria

durazno3

Okay, How about American Book Publishing?

Members,

I have been looking on this forum for information about ABP, has anyone worked with this outfit?

Galoot

I am a pretty pretty flower
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thegaloot.blogspot.com
From their Author Information page:
We may issue publishing contracts to talented writers who have not been published before or become accomplished in their writing career, and this contract may request a one-time deposit of $780 that is returned to the author the first quarter after the book has been formally released. The purpose of this deposit is to ensure long-term cooperation with a talented but possibly undisciplined author.
No, the purpose of this deposit is to get money from the author rather than from the readers. Avoid them.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
You won't find many ABP authors who'll say bad things about this publisher, because their contract includes a $10,000 fine for authors who speak against them.

ABPG, run by C. Lee Nunn, has no bookstore presence. Its contract is highly non-standard. They are, in fact, a vanity press with a very poor reputation even among vanity presses.

So far as I'm aware, no author has ever had that "deposit" returned.

Their promotion and marketing appears to consist of trying to convince the authors to buy thousands of copies of their own book.

American Book Publishing has their own thread over in the speculations.com rumormill in the "caveat scrivener" section. That's never a good sign.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
American Book Publishing C. Lee Nunn

*pinging for search engine*

American Book Publishing Group ABP ABPG C. Lee Nunn

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
CaoPaux said:
*pinging for search engine*

American Book Publishing Group ABP ABPG C. Lee Nunn
CaoPaux, did you just say American Book Publishing Group ABP ABPG C. Lee Nunn? Because I could have sworn you said American Book Publishing Group ABP ABPG C. Lee Nunn. I was thinking of saying American Book Publishing Group ABP ABPG C. Lee Nunn myself.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
You both better rinse your mouths out. After all, you don't want to come down with anything contagious. ;)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Ya know, I just realized we don't have any mention of ABPG's "imprints". So, beware the following: *cue ominous music*

American Classic Books

American University & Colleges Press

American Book Business Press

Bedside Books

Millennial Mind Publishing

*dances off to update Index*

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
My goodness, just this morning I was thinking American Book Publishing Group ABP ABPG C. Lee Nunn, and I wondered to myself, "Now, why on earth would I be thinking American Book Publishing Group ABP ABPG C. Lee Nunn?" And then I came here and found out that I was not the only one thinking American Book Publishing Group ABP ABPG C. Lee Nunn. Wow. What are the odds?

kybudman

Resident Magician
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kybudman.com
American Publishing Company et al

Please excuse my ignorance, but I have a question.

P&E has some rather unflattering things to say about the American Book Publisners, and their imprints.

Yet, (I think!) I see no thread posted about them here. Anyone got any info on them?

And, most importantly, my search led me straight to PA. Are they the same?

Thanks for any info you might be able to provide me. No, I haven't submitted to them, I'm just researching them.