Just tell me to freaking chill

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Ok- Sent a full MS out to agency 14 weeks ago! At week 10 politley emailed and asked if agent had recieved material- No reply to that-

Now I am wondering if I should e-mail again to ask what's up- The web site says a 10-12week wait on partials or fulls- It took her 16 weeks to get back to me on the partial, but when I emailed her on that 12 week mark she replied with a polite e-mail that she had not gotten to it yet but would and apologized for the delay- when asked for the full dhe said she 'loved' what she had read so far and "can't wait' to read the rest.

So now I am wondering what's up? what to do? Just write her off and go about my querying way? e-mail her? or Just freaking chill out!!

Going slightly bonkers here and would request advice or medication- please.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Freaking chill. And query somebody else. Is this the kind of communication delays you want to face with an agent?

Disclaimer: I have no pertinent experience, not yet being at the querying stage. But non-communication would be a deal-breaker for me. Nothing drives me around the bend faster. This is a full we're talking about after all.

If she does express interest, ask to talk to her clients and grill them on this. Does she treat them the same way after signing?

Just my questionable two cents' worth.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the agency. They could have an extremely aggressive spam filter that's blocking your emails. They could just be slow to respond. Or they could be ignoring your full. Hard to say.

I'd research on agent-turnaround (over at LJ) and a few other boards (I know FM has a very messy string with similar info) and see if this is average for them or not.

Some really good agents take a long time to respond. Some really bad ones do the same.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely freaking chill.

Agents are just people too, remember, even if they're professionals. With the series of crud and flus going around the country, it's entirely possible that the agent's been sick and understandably behind on submissions, even requested ones. The one time I got really upset with an agent about not getting back within the promised time, I later discovered that her son had been killed--and boy did I feel like a hell for being selfish and demanding. A little patience and understand goes a long way.

If someone wants immediate gratification, or even reasonable gratification, publication isn't the place for them. Glaciers can move faster than the turnaround times in publication, I swear.

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
The agency is Bookends and the agent is Jacky Sach- I just hope I didn't screw things up by sending the last e-mail- I asked for a read reciept ( I know NOW that agents hate that! arrg) so I know she got it- so I am wondering if I ticked her off because of that. Yeah I know chill- actualy medication is sounding better all the time:e2bummed:

Patrick L

looking for a home
Registered
Reaction score
Shea...I JUST went through this. EXACT same thing and timing. Finally, the assistant emailed and apologized, saying he hadn't touched the ms yet. I'm certain it's the same with you.

Query more...it's what I did. :)

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Shea...I JUST went through this. EXACT same thing and timing. Finally, the assistant emailed and apologized, saying he hadn't touched the ms yet. I'm certain it's the same with you.

Query more...it's what I did. :)
**Taking a deep breath**

Ok- that makes me feel much better- thanks- I'll start putting together some query packages this weekend to send out on Monday-

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Hey guys...chill...this is really normal for querys- think about it. The primary attention has to be paid to clients who are bringing in money and authors whose works are out on submission. Querys and partial/Full requests come in dead last.
I know it takes agents forever to get to manuscripts but it's not because they are putting you off...it's because they are BUSY!!! right now we are approaching the London Book Fair and then soon it will be BEA...
So yes.
Chill.
And don't assume how agents treat queries is the same as how they treat clients.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
sheadakota - I am with you. This process is making me crazy too. I hate playing the waiting game.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Sheadakota, I'm glad you started this thread as well. I am usually totally mellow about queries, short story submissions, even partials. But FULLS! I've got one that's been out for four weeks, it feels like much, much longer. I feel better knowing I'm not the only one. Thanks and best of luck!

talps

It's all happening...
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, another vote for "Chill."

Last year at about the same time, Bookends took six months just to reply to my query letter. They're probably backlogged beyond belief. Not what you wanted to hear, but chillin' is the way to go here.

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Talps- I would rather be backlogged than rejected any day! Chillin

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
If you were appropriate and polite in your status query, don't worry about having ticked off the agent. It's a busy time, as ORION says, with the BEA and the London fair, so you may not get responses as quickly as in the doldrums of January and February.

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
All good things to know- yes, I was polite- thanks empress! (whats the BEA?)

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
All good things to know- yes, I was polite- thanks empress! (whats the BEA?)

Book Expo America (formerly known as the American Booksellers Association convention). Biggest US book event of the year.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Only because you asked me to.....CHILL FREAK.........;)

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I've just emailed a mid-sized publisher, requesting an update on a full. It's been 2 years.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely Chiiiiiiill.

The publishing wheel moves extremely slow, in every phase. The worst thing you can do is annoy the editor with unwanted e-mails and queries. Don't piss her off or give her any reason not to want to work with you. Have patience, as hard as it is, because without it this business will drive you directly to the looney bin.

I would wait another six to eight weeks before inquiring. Meanwhile work on your next project.

Good luck.

Prevostprincess

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.queenoftheroadthebook.com
Chill, chill, CHILL!!! (Orion makes excellent points, and not just because I love her screen name.) And, query, query, QUERY.
There is no reason not to keep querying. Do it! You've essentially given this agent an exclusive. NEVER do that. And, if in your next batch of queries, then fulls, you get an offer, let this first agent know... if she's your first choice.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Bookends is a great agency, but they're slow readers for not-yet-clients. I got a rejection in February on a partial. And I had told them back in September that I had found another agent. So if I sent the partial to them in early September, that's about a six month read.

In general I don't think there is anything wrong with a very polite status check on a full ms. with an agent, especially if all you want to know is whether they got it.

jbryson

Registered
Reaction score
If you were appropriate and polite in your status query, don't worry about having ticked off the agent. It's a busy time, as ORION says, with the BEA and the London fair, so you may not get responses as quickly as in the doldrums of January and February.

Do the BEA and the London fair impact USA agents, too, or do we have similar, over here?

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
both the london book fair and the bea affect my agents here and in the UK. They also affected editors as they frequently attend also...As an author you have to have permission from bea to sign books there-
I know anyone can attend I don't think it's useful particularly for unagented writers- (I'm not talking about the writers conference that is held just before- I hear that is supposed to be good)