Parenting = dirty work

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I've had to do some things I didn't want to in life. But what happened yesterday ranks among the worst. My 2 month old son is constipated. He doesn't seem overly bothered by this fact, but it is clear that he is. This is our first child so I am pretty new to all this. But God apparently decided to make us jump right in to the whole affair of parenting.

We called the doctor to ask what we should do. He has an apointment Friday but I'm worried. They told us to just keep feeding him (he's fulkly breast fed) and it will likely resolve itself. But there was anothr measure we could take to possibly rectify (no put intended) the situation.

We were told to take a q-tip and put a dab of Vasoline on it and stick it gently rub it in his butt. Ok, I can handle a lot of things, honestly I can, but this was likely more traumatic for me than him. (he actually just kind of laid there although he gave me an odd look when I did it.). It didn't help although it did generate some rather....unique, flatulance. (apparently whatever my wife ate made it through her milk and into him, it was obviously something ripe.)

This whole incident was very enlgihtening. After having essentially had to violate my own infant son, I feel I am now more enlightened (but also fully traumatized) than I was just 24 hours ago. Why do babies do things like this? Why can't they just..........not have things like this happen? Is this the worst thing I'll ever have to do? I hope so. Please tell me I'll never have ot do anything worse than this. Please.

It's still traumatic to me. The cold hard fact is that yesterday, April 9th 2008, I had to put a q-tip in my poor, innocent, never-hurt-anyone-in-his -life son's butt. Maybe I'm just weak, but this whole thing has changed my life.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Is this the worst thing I'll ever have to do? I hope so. Please tell me I'll never have ot do anything worse than this. Please.

:roll::ROFL::roll::ROFL:

Sorry. No help here.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
You'll get over it. Parenting is about as unglamorous as dog ownership, in the poop department.

Bodily functions are just the beginning. What becomes interesting are the things you'd NEVER (in a million years) thought you'd say. Like "stop trying to shove kernels of corn up your sister's nose" and "no, you can't put the hamster in the toilet just to see if he can swim."

It's a world of experience. You ain't seen nothin' yet.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
YWhat becomes interesting are the things you'd NEVER (in a million years) thought you'd say. Like "stop trying to shove kernels of corn up your sister's nose" and "no, you can't put the hamster in the toilet just to see if he can swim."

My personal favourite so far: "We don't put fishies in our vaginas."

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
My daughter decided she would strip off her clothes and poop on the floor while Mommy cooked dinner last night.

I was so touched. Nothing like cleaning up after your daughter like you would a dog.

The bar always rises as to what the worst is. You can't anticipate it, and you just have to go with it.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Yep - I'm the echo - you ain't seen nothin' yet! :D

The worst for me is having to hold my son down when he needs a shot. I know it's for his own good, yadda yadda yadda, but it seems so... so cruel...

Just wait until the first stomach bug, or the first earache - when they're in pain and you just want to make it stop, but you can't, I'll take the q-tip any day... really.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. This is only the beginning, my friend. Take it as gospel from a mom of four boys. There is seemingly no limit to the amount weird, gross, and disturbing things that are now going to be happening in your life.

It's either laugh or go nuts. I recommend laughter...just not in front of him. *wink*

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

Wow......you better put your seat belt on cause that ain't nothing.

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
He has an apointment Friday but I'm worried. They told us to just keep feeding him (he's fulkly breast fed) and it will likely resolve itself.

I called a few times over the course of a week when I thought that was the problem with my daughter also. I was told repeatedly that breast fed babies could go up to a week or more w/o pooping... I hope that wasn't the case since you went through what you did..or maybe I hope it is the case - then its a simple fix and maybe next time you won't have to do anything...until that next glorious diaper :D

I look forward to more threads when you discover this was a piece of cake compared to whats coming up ;)

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
If he's fully breastfed, he's probably not constipated, he's just using up all of the breastmilk. Mine often went up to a week without pooping. Watch out for the explosion when it happens. Those are fun too.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
Remember the changing table is really just a launch pad. Don't forget to cover all the walls and floors with plastic.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
haha! Thanks, all of you. I do feel a bit better.

Elladog

Registered
Reaction score
And consider yourself lucky if those turds in the bathtub are actually solid enough to scoop...

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite is the 3 am knock on the bedroom door to inform us that our child has just vomitted all over their bedding, wall and floor behind the bed.

Mmmmmmmm. Good times. :)

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite is the 3 am knock on the bedroom door to inform us that our child has just vomitted all over their bedding, wall and floor behind the bed.

Mmmmmmmm. Good times. :)

Ha ha and wait til they're 12, with the stomach capacity of a sumo wrestler when they do that.

I'm still reeling from the memory of that one. :(

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lightweights.

The worst is the cop at the door who says to go get your husband because he needs to talk to you both, and one of your kids is not at home at the moment.

Maryn, whose heart about stopped

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Just so you know - I exclusively breastfed both my children for almost six months each. The first one was textbook - crapping herself silly a dozen times a day.

The second one went twice every three weeks. We fiddled around a bit like you've been advised to do, but in the end (gah - there's no escaping the puns here) that's just the way she was.

It's super difficult not to worry, but if he is eating well, sleeping well, gaining weight, not fussing more than usual, and doesn't appear in any pain when he finally does have a bm, then chances are he's just fine. (Also as long as the stool is infant-normal - you know mushy and messy.)

My daughter is five and a half now and is completely comfortable and regular to her own clock.

dobiwon

Planning to retire for the 5th time
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
magind7.wixsite.com
For cethklein and the others who said it was just the beginning--most of you probably haven't seen the light at the end of the tunnel yet. Wait til you're grandparents. I babysit for my son's 13-month old every other Saturday. A couple of weeks ago, as my son and his wife were on the way out the door, they happened to mention that he hadn't had a bm for a couple of days, so keep an eye on him. I didn't need my eyes--my nose was plenty enough. Five explosions that day; five complete changes of clothes; four changes of changing table pads and one change of bedsheets (I foolishly tried to change him the first time on their bed instead of going upstairs to the changing table). Four of those times, I just wiped as good as I could, and then stood him the bathroom sink, to clean both of us off.

BTW, good rule #127: remove shoes before trying to change a dirty diaper on a toddler; they don't wash nearly as easily as clothes.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Why do babies do things like this? Why can't they just..........not have things like this happen? Is this the worst thing I'll ever have to do?

:roll:

oh my. :roll:

Well, anyways, as time goes by, there's projectile vomiting, which is a spectacular thing. Kids barf in very creative ways. Screaming ear infections are always fun. If they figure out how to tie one end of a thread to their loose baby teeth and the other to some type of railing in order to hurry up the Tooth Fairy, that's usually entertaining but often surprisingly successful.

Strep throats, chicken pox, bicycle mishaps, broken arms, trying to fly off the garage roof with an umbrella, golly it's an endless kaleidoscope of adventure. And those are the minor ordinary things. My son had a series of surgeries which involved having to leave a packed wound open for a time and changing the packing at home, that's right up there for feeling like a sadist.

At any rate. As RT said, fasten your seatbelt, this is only the beginning dear.

:D