Need some good mojo, please!

BlackViolet13

Registered
Reaction score
:e2violin:

I'm getting ready for a big event tomorrow, a panel presentation at my university's honors week, for my Persuasive Rhetoric class (for my writing minor). I've written the paper, condensed it to my allotted seven minutes, practiced with my panel members, and even in front of my 8-year-old (let's just say I feel like SUCH a great parent because the poor little guy sat throught the whole thing without so much as a fidget). But can I just say that I am flippin' freaked out nervous about this?

I've given many presentations on topics for my major (public health), and I think there is a sort of "distance" in writing and speaking about something scientific--it's not really creative or from the heart the way persuasive or creative writing is, and isn't quite as subjective. I've stood in front of my PH classes and lectured about STDs, childhood obesity, and so on, without so much as a heart palpitation. Yet for some reason, everything I've written and then spoken aloud to my writing classes absolutely rattles me! And I'm so worried that's what's going to happen tomorrow morning, and that I'll look like a giant, flaming, fraud.

So. I'm open to any advice anyone has to offer, if there is any advice to be given. Or if you want to fill the replies with dirty jokes, orders to get some meds, or whatnot, I'm cool with that, too. Mostly, I just needed to get this off my chest with grown-ups because my 8 year old just didn't get it:cry:

Thank you! :)

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, much good luck Black and bet you'll do great. Think good thoughts, don't fidget like your little guy :) and you'll do super. Oh, and :welcome: to the cooler!

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
Here, you can have my Mojo. I never use it anyway. Good luck.

BlackViolet13

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I really appreciate it. I'm just about to go in...

:D

writin52

Registered
Reaction score
:e2violin:

I'm getting ready for a big event tomorrow, a panel presentation at my university's honors week, for my Persuasive Rhetoric class (for my writing minor). I've written the paper, condensed it to my allotted seven minutes, practiced with my panel members, and even in front of my 8-year-old (let's just say I feel like SUCH a great parent because the poor little guy sat throught the whole thing without so much as a fidget). But can I just say that I am flippin' freaked out nervous about this?

I've given many presentations on topics for my major (public health), and I think there is a sort of "distance" in writing and speaking about something scientific--it's not really creative or from the heart the way persuasive or creative writing is, and isn't quite as subjective. I've stood in front of my PH classes and lectured about STDs, childhood obesity, and so on, without so much as a heart palpitation. Yet for some reason, everything I've written and then spoken aloud to my writing classes absolutely rattles me! And I'm so worried that's what's going to happen tomorrow morning, and that I'll look like a giant, flaming, fraud.

So. I'm open to any advice anyone has to offer, if there is any advice to be given. Or if you want to fill the replies with dirty jokes, orders to get some meds, or whatnot, I'm cool with that, too. Mostly, I just needed to get this off my chest with grown-ups because my 8 year old just didn't get it:cry:

Thank you! :)

Start with the belief that they want to hear what you have to say, BV. Then....picture them naked:D:Hug2:You can do this, you are persuasive and your speech will show it! Might help if you can you remember that writing too is a science at its heart. Will send out relaxing and encouraging vibes for u!

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
If, and only if, at the end of the session no one died? It was a good talk.

And, if someone did -- and it wasn't you. Well, then you change the opening of your presentation to include "Stick around, I've got a killer finish!"

Seriously, there's nothing they can say that you haven't already had nightmare and daymares about. Go knock 'em dead! (oh.. wait....)

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Here ya go - Mr. Mojo Risin

BTW - Jim Morrison -of the Doors -came up with 'Mr. Mojo Risin' lyrics by scrambling the letters of his name - Mr. Mojo Risin = Jim Morrison

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
The best of wishes Violet. It sounds like you have practiced enough that all will be well. Write down just a few key words that will throw you into the next part. You'll be fine.

BlackViolet13

Registered
Reaction score
:hugs:

A big, grateful thanks to all of you! Everything went great this morning, and I'm really happy that it turned out so well. I was really nervous going in, but after awhile it just faded and I became a lot more comfortable. I even made eye contact with my audience a few times :D

And I'm pleased to inform you that nobody died, Williebee ;)

All right, I'm off to finish another paper that's due tomorrow. Everyone have a great Thursday!