Granting exclusivity for a partial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
OK, I promise I used the search engine to seek the answer to this most likely frequently asked question (so I'm really sorry if it's been asked over and over)

When an agent asks for exclusivity at the point of a partial, but exceeds that time, do you go back to querying and allowing other agents to see it? My understanding is you never bug an agent while they're reviewing the manuscript, so I don't want to nudge them since they are a wonderful agent with a great reputation and are perfect to represent the story I've pitched.

From other threads here, I get the impression it's just a waiting game. And truthfully, they haven't exceeded the duration too far (just a week) ; I'm just worried I'll lose my flow of submitting.

Thanks for any advice :)

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
In this case, you may want to drop them a note, letting them know the time period for the exclusivity has expired, then return to querying and permitting other agents to see it.

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate the quick advice! Thanks!

Now, if only I could summon the courage to drop them that note... Naw, I'm just kidding. If this sounds like a time to get with the nudging, what choice do I have?

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
You're trying to be a pro, aren't you?

Well if the agent is as great as you think they are, then they're also a pro and will not take offense at your polite notification that the period of exclusivity has expired.

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
Wow. I would never give an agent exclusivity on a partial--and I've never heard of an agent asking for one (but I'm not entirely surprised).

If the agent goes past he time they asked for, then keep querying. And in the future if they ask for an exclusive partial, tell them you have other queries/partials out there already, which you should have.

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
All your advice hasn't only helped; it's also made me feel a lot better about nugding.

LOL, yeah, I guess I was trying to be all professional by waiting and waiting. But I never had a clue asking for exclusivity with a partial was quite unheard of! Eek! I guess I felt eager to comply since she was so excited over the book. I'll definitely heed your advice on any future interest / partial requests.

Thanks again :)

dreamsofnever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellyguentner.com
Hi Barber! Welcome to AW! Asking for an exclusive isn't entirely unheard of, but it's not very common. I can see the agent's side in that they don't want to spend their time reading your MS only to find out that you've signed a deal with someone else while they were reading it over. I think that's the basic idea behind asking for an exclusive. That said, you are by no means obligated to grant an exclusive. It's understood that you will be querying multiple agents and you can always politely turn it down by saying there are other agents reading your partial already, but you will make sure to notify the agent if an offer is on the table.

That's standard industry etiquette if you get an offer-you let everyone else who has a partial or full know that you have an offer and give them time (usually a few days) to read and make their own offer if they so choose.

As for this current agent, just give a nudge that the time period is passed and you will now continue to query. Though you're already doing that, so good for you! :)

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome :)

And thanks for that link, SPMiller. It opened my eyes even more since there were a couple replies that related to my situation...a lot. I guess it's easy to get excited over somebody's excitement for your book, but perhaps asking for an exclusive on 100 pages is a bit unnecessary, and not getting back to the author in the alotted time is even more so.

I'll try to think positive, but I'll definitely get back to querying now. It's so hard to guess if granting exclusivity is good or bad; according to that link, some agents won't even look at a MS without having it! Divas!

Status
Not open for further replies.