PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man

Sarita
04-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Um... *SQUEEEEEEEE* A couple trailers to rock your world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hx6TEqrzHU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhgzIM-9lfA

Anyone else excited about seeing RDJ in a superhero movie? Only 3 weeks to go!!

ChunkyC
04-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Who?

Just kidding. I've been seeing the trailers each week at the theatre, it looks like it could be fun.

Sarita
04-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Who?Pffffftt....

Robert Freaking Downey Jr, only the hottest hunk of addiction ever to grace this earth...

:)

Ken
04-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Ahh shucks, I thought this was a thread about that tune by Ozzy Ozborne:
Is he live or dead,
Iron bolts in his head,
Running fast as he can,
Dadedddaa dadaaha ddda da
Ahhhhhaaaahhhaaaahhaa I am Iron Man!
Or something like that...
p.s. I'm sure Robert Downey Jr is quite nice too :)

ChunkyC
04-09-2008, 10:03 PM
They use that song in the trailers. :)

maestrowork
04-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Looks like RobotCop meets the Rocketeer. Sounds like fun.

Ken
04-09-2008, 10:19 PM
They use that song in the trailers. :)

cool. will have to check 'em out then :-)

Sarita
04-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Looks like RobotCop meets the Rocketeer. Sounds like fun.Wanna go to the movies with me, Sweetpea?

Toothpaste
04-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Looks like RobotCop meets the Rocketeer. Sounds like fun.

Dude it's Iron Man! Perfectly cast with Mr. Downey Jr. It ain't gonna be fun, it's gonna be AWESOME!

Ken
04-09-2008, 10:21 PM
maestro said no, but offered that I might go with you instead :)
popcorn on me

HeronW
04-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Black Sabbath rocks!

Has he lost his mind?
Can he see or is he blind?
Can he walk at all,
Or if he moves will he fall?

Is he alive or dead?
Has he thoughts within his head?
Well just pass him there
Why should we even care?

He was turned to steel
In the great magnetic field
Where he traveled time
For the future of mankind

Nobody wants him
He just stares at the world
Planning his vengeance
That he will soon unfold

Now the time is here
For iron man to spread fear
Vengeance from the grave
Kills the people he once saved

Nobody wants him
They just turn their heads
Nobody helps him
Now he has his revenge

Heavy boots of lead
Fills his victims full of dread
Running as fast as they can
Iron man lives again!

Ken
04-10-2008, 12:06 AM
thanks for the lyrics!
Awesome tune.
One of my all-time favs.

Sarita
04-10-2008, 01:43 AM
Dude it's Iron Man! Perfectly cast with Mr. Downey Jr. It ain't gonna be fun, it's gonna be AWESOME!Totally!

maestro said no, but offered that I might go with you instead :)
popcorn on me
No way! No surrogate dates. Besides, Ray hasn't taken me to the movies in like 2 years. We're due.

Tiger
04-10-2008, 02:07 AM
Iron man, Iron man,
Does whatever an iron can
He heats up
Builds up steam
Presses crooks
Just like jeans...

Ken
04-10-2008, 02:27 AM
No way! No surrogate dates. Besides, Ray hasn't taken me to the movies in like 2 years. We're due.

:cry:

maestrowork
04-10-2008, 03:08 AM
:cry:

She likes me, she really likes me. Plus I smell nice.

childeroland
04-10-2008, 04:26 AM
Will Mandarin still make a cameo in the film?

Don Allen
04-10-2008, 04:27 AM
I can't wait Sara, I used to go to sleep as a teenager with my headphones on killing my eardrums with Iron Man... Actually I seen the trailers and this looks really good.... Get the popcorn ready I'm all over this one.

Sarita
04-10-2008, 04:34 AM
:cry::( Sorry Anis. I don't let just anyone take me to the movies. I mean, hell, the husband doesn't even take me! Plus, Ray does smell nice.

Here's another for you nice people. Shiny!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/ironman/large_clip.html

Ken
04-10-2008, 03:54 PM
:( Sorry Anis. I don't let just anyone take me to the movies. I mean, hell, the husband doesn't even take me! Plus, Ray does smell nice.

...and she's got a husband, too, to boot. :cry:

p.s. I smell fairly nice myself :)

Calculated Spigot
04-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Loving the look of this movie, looks like its worth seeing in theaters if nothing else than the show. It isn't There Will Be Blood, but it looks like a good ride.

Jcomp
04-10-2008, 07:45 PM
This should contribute to a Summer Movie Season that will punch the 2007 Summer Movie Season in the mouth, take its lunch money and say "You call yourself a Summer Movie Season?"

Sarita
04-10-2008, 08:00 PM
This should contribute to a Summer Movie Season that will punch the 2007 Summer Movie Season in the mouth, take its lunch money and say "You call yourself a Summer Movie Season?"
LOL. Totally! Indy? Iron Man? Speed Racer? Hulk? X-Files? Tons more I can't remember...

Jcomp
04-10-2008, 09:51 PM
LOL. Totally! Indy? Iron Man? Speed Racer? Hulk? X-Files? Tons more I can't remember...

The Dark Knight! I'm in full on geek mode about that one still. I can't believe I have to wait until July. But all of the above movies you've mentioned are MORE than enough to tide me over. I think this'll be a great summer for movies.

robeiae
04-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Pffffftt....

Robert Freaking Downey Jr, only the hottest hunk of addiction ever to grace this earth...

:)Except for...

I said EXCEPT FOR...

EXCEPT FOR!!...

*sigh*

Sarita
05-02-2008, 05:13 AM
OMG. OMG. OMG. This is like, the best month. EVER.

Tomorrow is the big day! And you should look at the cover of GQ (http://men.style.com/gq). Can't wait for Iron Man.

alleycat
05-02-2008, 05:39 AM
As a stockholder in Marvel Entertainment, I sure hope Iron Man is a blockbuster.

(And better than The Fantastic Four . . . which I couldn't even watch to the end.)

Shadow_Ferret
05-02-2008, 06:20 AM
Dude it's Iron Man! Perfectly cast with Mr. Downey Jr. It ain't gonna be fun, it's gonna be AWESOME!Well, when I first heard he was cast as Tony Stark I was extremely disappointed. That's the best they could do? Reminded me of miscasting Michael Keaton as Batman.

I must say that, at least in the trailers, Downey appears to be doing an adequate job.

As a stockholder in Marvel Entertainment, I sure hope Iron Man is a blockbuster.

(And better than The Fantastic Four . . . which I couldn't even watch to the end.)
Too bad. FF was a fun ride. FF2 was just as fun. Now Daredevil? Or the Hulk?

JoNightshade
05-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Okay guys, I just saw this. It was...

FREAKING AWESOME! On par with Transformers and probably better than the first X-Men movie. RDJ was also awesome (and sexay).

AND MAKE SURE YOU STAY TO THE END OF THE CREDITS. I'm serious, people. Not joking. Stay.

samgail
05-02-2008, 11:30 AM
OMG. OMG. OMG. This is like, the best month. EVER.

Tomorrow is the big day! And you should look at the cover of GQ (http://men.style.com/gq). Can't wait for Iron Man.

thanks for the yummy link, sara mmmmmmmm..............

Sarita
05-02-2008, 05:27 PM
thanks for the yummy link, sara mmmmmmmm..............You are ever so welcome. He's in the dictionary next to the word delicious, eh?

Jo- thanks for the tip. I always stay for the credits, but it's a hard sell for the husband who hates the movies. I'll tell him you said so. :)

nevada
05-02-2008, 06:49 PM
On par with Transformers

Good thing I've seen trailers and I really want to see this movie cause if someone had said that to me without me knowing stuff, I would have skipped the movie. lol Isn't it great how different people are?

Adam Israel
05-02-2008, 07:36 PM
We saw Iron Man last night. Definitely one of the best movies in memory.

Constantine K
05-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Absolutely fantastic. Loved the ending!

Shadow_Ferret
05-02-2008, 08:48 PM
FREAKING AWESOME! On par with Transformers and probably better than the first X-Men movie. RDJ was also awesome (and sexay).

Oh.

Gee.

So I'll just think it's OK then since that was my reaction to Transformers?

Constantine K
05-02-2008, 08:49 PM
I wouldn't compare it to Transformers, Shadow. One's a movie about a man in a gold-titanium alloy suit, and the other is about massive alien robots fighting each other for control of earth.

Shadow_Ferret
05-02-2008, 08:51 PM
I wouldn't compare it to Transformers, Shadow. One's a movie about a man in a gold-titanium alloy suit, and the other is about massive alien robots fighting each other for control of earth.
One was a movie based on a kid's cartoon with Go-bots, the other was a great Marvel superhero comic.

And I thought his suit was iron.

Titanium Man had a titanium suit.

maestrowork
05-02-2008, 08:54 PM
One's directed by Michael Bay (ugh--going over the the "hatred for director" thread) with leading man Shia LaBeouf. The other directed by Jon Favreau (Elf) and RDJ.

Constantine K
05-02-2008, 09:19 PM
One was a movie based on a kid's cartoon with Go-bots, the other was a great Marvel superhero comic.

And I thought his suit was iron.

Titanium Man had a titanium suit.

His suit isn't really iron. He says so in the movie. MARK I was iron, I believe.

Shadow_Ferret
05-02-2008, 09:28 PM
His suit isn't really iron. He says so in the movie. MARK I was iron, I believe.
Gah. Why do they always have to change things for the movies?

Trivia question: Does anyone know why Tony Stark (in the comics) originally created the Iron Man suit?

RLB
05-02-2008, 09:45 PM
a man in a gold-titanium alloy suit

That always pulls me into the theater.

My husband has announced that we will be seeing Ironman because he used to have the action figure. I had no idea who he was, but now that i know about the suit, I'm in.

JoNightshade
05-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Oh.

Gee.

So I'll just think it's OK then since that was my reaction to Transformers?

::Jo smacks SF around a bit:: No need to be snarky, good sir.

Geez, I had no idea I'd cause such a fuss by comparing it to Transformers, WHICH I HAPPENED TO LIKE A LOT, so sue me. I was just thinking about other superhero action movies. If it will make you feel better, Iron Man is also better than:
- X-Men 1, 2, and 3
- Spiderman 1, 2, and 3
- Daredevil
- Hellboy

Happy?

Constantine K
05-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Wasn't he paralyzed or something? And the suit was the only way he could move?

Not sure, I was never into the comics.

Shadow_Ferret
05-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Hmm. OK. I thought he originally had a heart condition. The chest plate was his attempt at a pace maker. I remember episodes where he'd clutch his heard and complain about the pain.

Now that I check Wiki, which we all know how reliable that is, it appears that his origin is similar to the movie. Injured by a boobie trap. There is shrapnel in his chest near his heart and he designs the chest plate as protection and as a weapon to fight his captors, similar to the movie.

::Jo smacks SF around a bit:: No need to be snarky, good sir.

If it will make you feel better, Iron Man is also better than:

- X-Men 1, 2, and 3
- Spiderman 1, 2, and 3
- Daredevil
- Hellboy

Happy?

Very. :D

Sarita
05-02-2008, 10:48 PM
So... um. Anyone want to baby sit for me tonight? My sitter just canceled. :(

Roger J Carlson
05-02-2008, 10:58 PM
I don't get out to the movies, so I'll have to wait for the DVD. I hope it's good. I'm old enough to remember the original comics and Iron Man was one of my favorites. DareDevil was too, but I was seriously disappointed with the movie, so I'm hoping this one is as good as many of you say.

maestrowork
05-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Daredevil sucked so bad. I think Iron Man will be 100x times better, judging from the previews. Plus RDJ is such a better actor than Ben Affleck.

Sarita
05-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Plus RDJ is such a better actor than Ben Affleck.
Understatement of the year! :) Can you tell I love Robert Downey, Jr? Just a little?

Roger J Carlson
05-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Understatement of the year! :) Can you tell I love Robert Downey, Jr? Just a little?Not really. You hide it so well. ;)

Shadow_Ferret
05-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Understatement of the year! :) Can you tell I love Robert Downey, Jr? Just a little?
I'm just confused as to why. :tongue

I mean he seems ok as an actor. He was a better talk show host though.

Sarita
05-02-2008, 11:36 PM
I'm just confused as to why. :tongue

Because:

http://upload.moldova.org/movie/actors/r/robert_downey_jr/thumbnails/tn2_robert_downey_jr_1.jpg

JoNightshade
05-02-2008, 11:38 PM
He is QUITE attractive, SF. :)

maestrowork
05-02-2008, 11:42 PM

I'm not in love with Robert Downey Jr. like some people. Like, you know.

Sarita
05-02-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm not in love with Robert Downey Jr. like some people. Like, you know.Who? Me?

http://onemansblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/iron-man-downey-jr.jpg

maestrowork
05-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Look at the bottom half of his face... what does that remind you of?

Hint: someone's avatar... * ahem *

;)

Shadow_Ferret
05-03-2008, 12:07 AM
He is QUITE attractive, SF. :)
I wouldn't know.

Look at the bottom half of his face... what does that remind you of?

Hint: someone's avatar... * ahem *

Me? *blushes*

nevada
05-03-2008, 03:14 AM
Speaking of avatars and totally totally completely off topic. Shadow, what happened to the ferret in the bunny ears. I thought he was really cute. Bring him back, please? Not that your face isn't lovely, really it is, but that ferret was irresistable. ;)

nevada
05-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Brilliant. This movie, and Robert Downey Jr are brilliant. I'm so glad the movie didn't disappoint after all the hype. Definitely worth seeing several more times in the theatre. Just fantastic. And yes, stay for after the credits. It didn't mean that much to me, but my sister, who is a comics geek, was very excited.

Stormhawk
05-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Just saw it tonight.

Both me and the boy came out of the theatre in glowing with geeky joy.

So...so...so good.

(Plus we got trailers for Hellboy, Indy and Speed Racer)

STAY AFTER THE CREDITS
STAY AFTER THE CREDITS
STAY AFTER THE CREDITS
STAY AFTER THE CREDITS
STAY AFTER THE CREDITS

There is an extra scene. There is an absolutely fantastic extra scene.

WriteKnight
05-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Saw it last nite. Yep... it's a winner. Looks like he's latched onto a keeper franchise... good for him.

I think it's up there with maybe the top five comic book films of all time. The FIRST Superman, the First Michael Keaton Batman, The First Spiderman - and the Christian Slater Batman, yeah... great flick.

plaidearthworm
05-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Iron man, Iron man,
Does whatever an iron can
He heats up
Builds up steam
Presses crooks
Just like jeans...

LOL, I don't remember Iron Man being on the Electric Company, but he should have been!

Sarita
05-03-2008, 08:49 PM
(Plus we got trailers for Hellboy, Indy and Speed Racer)Ack! Yes! I was hoping for this!!!

I'm going tonight. Finally found a sitter :)

WriteKnight
05-03-2008, 08:59 PM
The Speed Racer trailer made me ill. Seriously. I thought maybe I was just being an 'old fart' who didn't get the stylistic choice of spinning neon colors and kaleidoscopic imagery - I felt like I was inside a pinball machine - or a bad remake of TRON....

But the twenty year olds I went with said the same thing. Not impressed.

On the other hand, the Batman trailer was AWESOME. An astounding legacy for Heath Ledger, no doubt. Looking forward to that.

And speaking of old farts, Harrison Ford looked pretty good - and he's got a decade on me so there's hope yet.

JoNightshade
05-03-2008, 09:07 PM
(Plus we got trailers for Hellboy, Indy and Speed Racer)

What the heck?! I only got the Indy trailer! I want to see the Hellboy trailer!

nevada
05-03-2008, 10:56 PM
yeah, we didnt get a hellboy trailer either. We got the Hulk trailer. Which looked good.

Ruv Draba
05-04-2008, 01:47 AM
Gonna make a minority report here:

Good acting, nice costuming and effects, great fight choreography and some fun clowning from RDJ meets formulaic plot atop an overloaded premise in a story devoid of credible through-lines or themes.

Superhero stories can get away with a lot, but at their best say something new about human psychology, morality or society. This one didn't even try. It's tongue-in-cheek crowd-pleasing carbs, but don't forget to eat your greens afterward.

Plot Device
05-04-2008, 01:55 AM
I saw it last night with a guy who's a lifelong fan of the comic book. He filled me on stuff.

That said, this film easilly ranks in the top three of all-time greatest superhero movies ever made.

Ever.

Ever ever.

This film was SO clever, SO witty, SO hip, the dialogue was SO snappy, the main character was SO intriguing, the current-day references to the Middle-East were SO relevent, the anti-war message SO spot-on, the character motivations SO relateable, the romantic back-story SO tangible, the world-building SO credible, the premise behind the chest-thing SO believable, the action SO cool ...

Fan boys got what THEY wanted as far as the story being true to everything it needed to be true to.

Non-initiates (like me) were in no way lost or left out in the cold, and were comfortably inducted into the world of this story. --PERFECT balancing act between the two.

(And Stan Lee made his obligatory cameo.)

THIS is what a superhero movie OUGHT to be!

Robert Downey made a brilliant career move here. This was NOT an Aeon Flux or a Catwoman, it was pure gold!

SEE

THIS

MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes... stay until the VERY end after the credits. I won't give it away except to say that a super-huge, big-name A-List actor quite brilliantly makes an UNCREDITED CAMEO at the end, appearing as a major on-going character from the comic book, perfectly guaranteeing a sequel.

Stormhawk
05-04-2008, 04:16 AM
The First Spiderman - and the Christian Slater Batman, yeah... great flick.

Bale.

Christian BALE.

:P

Stormhawk
05-04-2008, 04:18 AM
And yes... stay until the VERY end after the credits. I won't give it away except to say that a super-huge, big-name A-List actor quite brilliantly makes an UNCREDITED CAMEO at the end, appearing as a major on-going character from the comic book, perfectly guaranteeing a sequel.

It makes all the people who read the Ultimate Marvel stuff squee.

But it's not really for guaranteeing the Iron Man 2, it's more to hint at the Avengers movie (also a major factor as to why they're doing the retcon Hulk movie).

WriteKnight
05-04-2008, 04:53 AM
Whoa... BALE - Don't know why I said Slater.

Yeah, I'm with Plot Device on this. I'm not completely clued in to all the fanboy back story - but it got me hooked. Worked on all the different levels. And I'd like to add that I thought Jeff Bridges did a suitably UNDERPLAYED Villain. Loved his rapport with Tony Stark... yeah, I think he was perfect in the role.

Although, perhaps the fanboys can explain to me the 'heart engine' thingy. It's supposed to keep shrapnel away from his heart, and yet it powers his body??? That I didn't get. Is it a replacement for his heart? Why can't they remove the shrapnel??? That's the only weak part in the storyline for me.

Stormhawk
05-04-2008, 05:28 AM
The size of the shrapnel makes it too hard for them to remove it - insanely delicate surgery. It doesn't power his body, but it does power the suit, because he designed the original suit in the cave the function around it (the mini arc reactor being the only thing he could use), powering the subsequent suits around it was just logical.

The reason he seemed to be dying when <yaddayadda, spoiler, hope you know the scene I mean> was because he had gone into cardiac arrest. He still has his regular heart under there, otherwise he'd...be a bit pale.

childeroland
05-04-2008, 05:37 AM
The best part of the film happens after the end credits -- that was pretty badass. The look of Iron Monger and Stark's power suits are extremely well done. Downey Jr (especially), Paltrow, Howard and Bridges are superb; Bibb and the rest of the cast are a lot of fun to watch. Nowhere near Batman Begins, IMO, but certainly better than or on par with Singer's X-Men films and miles ahead of Superman Returns, X3, and the third Spiderman film.

Constantine K
05-04-2008, 06:56 AM
If I would make out with Robert Downey Jr, does that make me gay?

Celia Cyanide
05-04-2008, 07:21 AM
We just saw it! AWESOME!!!

nevada
05-04-2008, 07:31 AM

No that would just make you extremely hot to a lot of women. Can I watch? :kiss:

maestrowork
05-04-2008, 07:53 AM
It's a really cool movie. It's a predictable plot (I mean, c'mon, it's a superhero movie) but the tech and gadgets stuff's so cool. RDJ rocks. The clip after the end credit cracked me up. I totally enjoyed it. Obviously I'm not as geeky as some of you. :) But the design of the suit is fantastic. It's like the rocketeer and robocop and iron giant all roll into one. No wonder the fanboys and fangirls are all giddy.

maestrowork
05-04-2008, 08:05 AM

Just bi. RDJ is bi, you know... wait... hmmm... is that why women find him so hot? Damn, I think I need to make an announcement...

Sarita
05-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Just bi. RDJ is bi, you know... wait... hmmm... is that why women find him so hot? Damn, I think I need to make an announcement...
His hotness makes him hot. :) That and the eyes. Those eyes are like chocolate perfection.

Okay so, I saw Iron Man last night and it was amazingly good. Loved it. Great movie, didn't go overboard on cheesy effects, good story line, great cast. When the movie was first pointed out to me, I said it was like Sara-designed heaven. My 2 favorite actors, RDJ and Gweneth (and OMG, how hot was SHE in this flick?) Super Hero movie. Perfect combo! I hope they make another one.

We stayed for the after credit special. Awesome. I was in total geek heaven, the husband got a few good digs in on me, but he got his when a fanboy, talking to one of his friends pointed at me and said, "Look at the hot undercover geek." LOL.

Our previews were Indy, The Spirit, and The Love Guru. I am so excited for Indy and The Spirit looked amazing!

Bravo
05-04-2008, 07:46 PM
fantastic movie!

RDJ knocked it outta the park.

loved the stippers on the airplane sequence. someday when i hit it big i'm going to get that along with an armored flight suit and a talking house.

Shadow_Ferret
05-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Fantastic! Saw this last night and to me this is easily the best superhero movie ever!

Yeah, the plot itself is a little time-worn if you stop to analyze it, but everything else, the CGI, the acting, the action, the humor all make up for that.

TO me, this is the new yardstick by which all superhero movies will be measured.

The clip after the end credit cracked me up. I totally enjoyed it.
Drat. We didn't stick around for after the credits. What did we miss?

ChaosTitan
05-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Popping in to say I'm leaving soon to see this one. So far, it's getting lots of positive reviews, so I'm hopeful. :D

maestrowork
05-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Our previews were Indy, The Spirit, and The Love Guru. I am so excited for Indy and The Spirit looked amazing!

Yeah, the new Indy trailer (not the teaser) was just totally amazing. The whole theater clapped -- for a TRAILER! It's going to break the bank -- I think it'll break Spider-Man's record.

SPMiller
05-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Spoilers?

Yes, spoilers ahoy!

When Villain spun up his gat to mow down Love Interest, it made me think of Robocop for some reason.

And yeah, the trailer was great. Lawl, Sam L Jackson!

But I have to say that I'm apparently quite liberal-minded, because as with all superhero movies, I was yearning for Love Interest to have a more important role in the plot instead of just being Eye Candy.

Plot Device
05-04-2008, 09:54 PM
ALL of the actors in this film were Oscar-caliber.

The dialogue was amazing.

Yes--this DID raise the bar for super-hero films.

(And one of my favorite lines was when Paltrow said with only the tiniest hint of catty snideness: "I even take out the trash from time to time.")

Sarita
05-04-2008, 10:02 PM
(And one of my favorite lines was when Paltrow said with only the tiniest hint of catty snideness: "I even take out the trash from time to time.")Totally! One of the best lines.

WriteKnight
05-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Oh "SNAP" went that trash line - loved it! Yes, she could have had more screentime, and more active role - but as an 'origin' film, I think they've set it up to develop farther along the franchise - which is great. I thought they both played the tension of their relationship beautifully.

I think that dress 'brings back the sexy' to backs - something I've always found attractive in a woman.

maestrowork
05-04-2008, 10:29 PM
ALL of the actors in this film were Oscar-caliber.

I didn't think about that, but it's true. RDJ was nominated. Gwyneth actually won. Jeff Bridges was nominated four times. Terrence Howard was nominated for Hustle and Flow. Great casting all around.

(the ethnic bad guys are a bit cliched and stereotypical, but they balanced them with the villagers, so that's okay)

(And one of my favorite lines was when Paltrow said with only the tiniest hint of catty snideness: "I even take out the trash from time to time.")

I LOVE that line. I also love the line: "Oh do you mean that night when we danced..... that night when you went to fetch me a martini and then left me on the balcony. I just love how sarcastic she was.

katiemac
05-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Well, it's official: Early estimates say $101 million in three days, making Iron Man the second best non-sequel weekend gross ever (behind Spider-man). Biggest opening ever for RDJ, who's never had a film gross $100 million in its entire run.

Dawno
05-05-2008, 01:11 AM
Just got home from seeing Iron Man and I really enjoyed it. Now I can read this thread :)

ChaosTitan
05-05-2008, 01:13 AM
Just got home from seeing Iron Man and I really enjoyed it. Now I can read this thread :)

Ditto. :D

This movie Rocked. The. House.

Serenity
05-05-2008, 01:25 AM
Yeah, all I can say is wow. And WOW. I really knew next to nothing about the Iron Man story and I still absolutely loved this film.

And the fact that I'm in complete agreement with Shadow Ferret means that I probably need some therapy. Right? :D :D

ChaosTitan
05-05-2008, 02:02 AM

We also got to see The Dark Knight trailer. The new one, too, not the one that had been floating around on Youtube for a while.

Jcomp
05-05-2008, 02:40 AM
Just got back. I liked it, though I didn't think it was quite the masterpiece some reviews were building it up as. Different strokes I suppose. It moves fast though, and it's definitely fun. Downey was great, and I loved the last line. Perfect way to close it out...

Dawno
05-05-2008, 02:49 AM
From Wall Street Journal: "Iron Man" topped the box office with a $100.7 million weekend

Serenity
05-05-2008, 03:02 AM
Oh yeah. Can I add that Robert Downey Jr. WAS COMPLETELY HOT IN THIS MOVIE?? :e2faint:

Plot Device
05-05-2008, 03:08 AM
My fav web site for box office data is Box Office Mojo (http://boxofficemojo.com/). The weekly box office report by Brandon Gray (http://boxofficemojo.com/news) is a pun-filled geek fest for the kind of people (like me) who just LOVE numbers! (Especially box office data.) This was the web site where I learned about the significance of "per theatre averages" and the difference between "per theatre" and "per screen." I also learned from here what a true "sleeper" is, and the line of demarkation between a "limited release" and a "wide release."

After spending the past eight years reading the weekly box office report, and watching the box office go down, down, down every week and every year (an indication that my beloved film industry is tanking and possibly near extinction), it's a refreshing and reassuring treat to see a rare weekend where the box office actually went UP for a change.

Here's just a PARTIAL slice of this week's box office analysis (http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2492&p=.htm), right on time:

'Iron Man' Blasts Off
by Brandon Gray
May 4, 2008

What a difference a single movie can make. After weeks of humdrum pictures dragging it down, business came roaring back with the sensational debut of Iron Man, the first salvo of the summer movie season. While the weekend as a whole was down from last year when Spider-Man 3 hit a new opening milestone, it was the fourth best on record for the early May timeframe.

Iron Man rocketed to an estimated $100.8 million on approximately 8,700 screens at 4,105 theaters for a $104.3 million tally including Thursday night previews. The reportedly $140 million-budgeted Marvel Comics adaptation had the second-highest grossing opening weekend ever for a non-sequel behind Spider-Man and the tenth highest overall. In terms of attendance, the start was slightly higher than X2: X-Men United's May 2 debut five years ago, and it soared past Marvel's average opening by over 60 percent.

"It's a fantastic start to our new studio," said David Maisel, chairman of Marvel Studios, the company that developed and produced Iron Man as their inaugural release. Prior to Iron Man, the Marvel Comics adaptations were created by other companies, but, pre-existing movie franchises notwithstanding, Marvel Studios will be making them now with other studios serving as distributors, such as Paramount Pictures for Iron Man and Universal Pictures for the upcoming The Incredible Hulk. "We're lucky to have this powerful Marvel brand that is loved, not just in comics. Like Pixar, it stands for something. It's quality family entertainment, and we have a fan base that spreads virally. Now, we have complete creative control."

Amidst the recent movie drought, Iron Man was an oasis and behaved like an upper echelon superhero movie. Previously, only the most popular superheroes attained such heights, namely Spider-Man, Batman, Superman and X-Men, while lower tier characters like Fantastic Four, Hulk, Ghost Rider and Daredevil peaked in the mid-range. In advertising, Iron Man was presented as a bright and colorful spectacle and featured a witty main character with aspirations, played by Robert Downey, Jr. (adding rooting interest with his comeback role), who wasn't tortured like most recent superheroes, coming off as a happy version of Batman. According to Paramount's exit polling, the audience was 65 percent male and 55 percent over 25 years old. What's more, moviegoers seemed to enjoy the picture as it garnered an "A" from both pollster CinemaScore and Box Office Mojo readers.

The best performing superhero movies have had a famous super villain (and hence super conflict) to enhance moviegoer interest. Spider-Man had the Green Goblin, Batman had the Joker, Superman had Lex Luthor, X-Men had Magneto. Iron Man has Iron Monger, which Maisel says is well known to fans of the comic. However, that villain is not well known to the public at large and was not prominent in the marketing campaign. That Iron Man lacked this component makes its opening all the more impressive.

Also opening nationwide was Made of Honor. The romantic comedy was an attempt to counter-program Iron Man, replete with a well-worn wedding gimmick like 27 Dresses earlier this year. Lacking a strong female lead, the nearly $40 million production fared in the average range among wedding movies, grossing an estimated ...

Plot Device
05-05-2008, 03:33 AM
And as for the SONG ...

Click HERE (http://www.imeem.com/people/Qqrwxp//music/Z6eiRzl_/njpw_road_warriors_i_am_iron_man/) if you want to hear a free MP3 of the song.

I grew up not really listening to TRUE "heavy metal." (Only the "bad" kids listened to it.) But I admit I was certainly aware of it and knew which of the local stations played it (the stations I of course never listened to). And even though I couldn't name the artists from that "evil" sub genre, a few of the melody lines DID stick in my head (only from those rare instances when I was being FORCED to listen via someone else's rudely loud radio) and have remained in my head to this day.

And then I went to the movies on Friday May 2, 2008, and saw the movie Iron Man. I had NO IDEA that the one piece of music from the early 1970's whose melody is STILL in my head, was:

1) by a band called Black Sabbath (I knew about Black Sabbath, but couldn't name even ONE of their songs if you held a gun to my head)

and

2) was even CALLED Iron Man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Man_(song)) (I'm one of those people who never listens to the words, just the melody).

All I knew was that it was dark and sinister sounding, and had a creepy and angry attitude behind it. So when I saw the TRAILERS for the Iron Man movie, I totally did NOT know that the creepy, dark, heavy metal music they were playing was called Iron Man. I just thought it was being used because the melody and the execution of it was creepy and dark.

What a frigging COOL piece of truly classic music that an entire generatrion (or two) is PERFECTLY aware of --even though many others like me ALSO didn't "know" it was even called "Iron Man"! And how utterly brilliant of them to include it in the movie's ad campaign AND in the film itself!

Serenity
05-05-2008, 04:35 AM
Yes, Black Sabbath. Grew up listening to them! Led by none other than Ozzy Osbourne. I'm sure you've heard of him. :tongue

Serenity
05-05-2008, 04:36 AM
Oh yeah, and the movie had me from the first note... gotta love a movie that opens with AC/DC's Back in Black. LOL

SPMiller
05-05-2008, 06:05 AM
Plot Device, you don't want to know what kids like me listen to these days...

Although I maintain a healthy respect for Black Sabbath for founding the style, heavy metal has come a long way. Still, it was great to hear :D

JoNightshade
05-05-2008, 06:26 AM
Drat. We didn't stick around for after the credits. What did we miss?

::Jo smacks SF around SOME MORE::

DUDE, did you NOT READ MY POST? Sheesh. Here, highlight for spoiler: Iron Man goes home to find SAMUEL L JACKSON, as Nick Fury, waiting in his living room. Fury says he wants to talk to Iron Man about the Avengers Initiative. Anyway this is filled with geeky goodness because the writers/artists of the Ultimate series shamelessly used Jackson for Nick Fury's appearance and personality. So the fact that they got him to play this part is unbelievably cool.

And so far, nobody has pointed out the most GEEKY part of this movie ever. Did anyone catch the FREAKING HUGE Blizzard/Starcraft reference? Or do I have to tell? Muahahaha!

Stormhawk
05-05-2008, 06:58 AM
I didn't catch a Starcraft reference, care to share?

Diane
05-05-2008, 07:03 AM
About that ending line....
SPOILER!!

(click and drag): Does Iron Man not have a secret identity?

JoNightshade
05-05-2008, 07:21 AM
Okay, there was a trailer for Starcraft 2 that came out a while ago. It has a big burly guy come out and a machine thingie straps a bunch of armor on him. The scene where Iron Man gets his red suit put on for the first time is extremely, extremely similar. So similar that when we saw it in the theatre, me, my husband, and a buddy all looked at each other like "WTF?!" Hubby said, "I hope they're paying Blizzard for that."

You can see the two clips here:
http://www.gameriot.com/blogs/The-Starfeed/Iron-Man-copies-a-scene-from-Starcraft-2/

On second viewing, the Blizzard one is a lot slower. But it's still pretty darn similar.

Stormhawk
05-05-2008, 07:50 AM
That never crossed my mind, as, like, Iron Man's got a couple of decades (at least) on Starcraft. I don't think it was an intentional reference, it's just how he gets suited up.

maestrowork
05-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Well, it's official: Early estimates say $101 million in three days, making Iron Man the second best non-sequel weekend gross ever (behind Spider-man). Biggest opening ever for RDJ, who's never had a film gross $100 million in its entire run.

Granted, he'd never starred in such a big budget action flick until now. It's quite a departure for him.

8700 screens? Wow. That's a lot of screens. At $4700 per, it's okay, but if you have that many showings, it's bound to thin out a bit. The showing I went to (Saturday night, prime time) was about 75% full.

Shadow_Ferret
05-05-2008, 06:07 PM
We also got to see The Dark Knight trailer. The new one, too, not the one that had been floating around on Youtube for a while.
We got some stupid Adam Sandler trailer. Some stupid movie by the people associated with "South Park." Some other movie I can't even remember. And I'm thinking, "We're hear to see a superhero movie, WTF with these lame trailers?" Then we finally got the Dark Knight and Indy.

::Jo smacks SF around SOME MORE::

DUDE, did you NOT READ MY POST? Sheesh. Here, highlight for spoiler:
I guess I didn't. :(

Jcomp
05-05-2008, 06:07 PM
About that ending line....
SPOILER!!

To answer your question, in the comics, not anymore.

Sheryl Nantus
05-05-2008, 06:54 PM

to quote my husband:

"The major revelation I got from this movie was to not piss off Vanity Fair reporters..."

:D

*snickers*

maestrowork
05-05-2008, 08:43 PM
You mean "don't fuck with the reporter." ;)

WriteKnight
05-05-2008, 08:53 PM
In terms of box office - I think it would have surpassed Spiderman, but people are getting hit HARD for 'disposable income' because of gas prices.

CheriVixen
05-05-2008, 09:13 PM
What a great way to kickoff the summer movie season! I'm so glad I have a nine year old son to see these with. Next week its Speed Racer, then Prince Caspian, then Indy (sigh)...

Celia Cyanide
05-05-2008, 09:15 PM
to quote my husband:

"The major revelation I got from this movie was to not piss off Vanity Fair reporters..."

:D

*snickers*

Why? Because they'll sleep with you? ;)

Shadow_Ferret
05-05-2008, 09:17 PM
In terms of box office - I think it would have surpassed Spiderman, but people are getting hit HARD for 'disposable income' because of gas prices.
Actually, I heard a news report that said Hollywood actually does BETTER during recetionary periods and they listed some of the biggest blockbusters that occured during those times.

I think it's a good escape to try and forget that you don't have any money.

Jcomp
05-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Actually, I heard a news report that said Hollywood actually does BETTER during recetionary periods and they listed some of the biggest blockbusters that occured during those times.

Plus, as I heard someone point out on an NPR story recently, even though everyone complains about the prices of tickets and snacks, going to the movies is still a comparatively cheap family outing / date night.

Shadow_Ferret
05-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Plus, as I heard someone point out on an NPR story recently, even though everyone complains about the prices of tickets and snacks, going to the movies is still a comparatively cheap family outing / date night.
Compared to many sporting events, yes, it is very cheap. Baseball used to be comparable, but with the advent of bigger and better stadiums, they've all but eliminated the cheap bleacher seats.

maestrowork
05-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Escapism is the best cure for a recession.

Shadow_Ferret
05-06-2008, 12:04 AM
Yes, I think all the blockbusters they listed were escapist fare. Nothing heavy. Certainly no shows about bad times and recessions.

NikeeGoddess
05-06-2008, 08:37 AM
8700 screens? Wow.technically you can't really compare it to spiderman or any other summer blockbuster. this is the first one with a world wide release and not just limited to US screens.

Escapism is the best cure for a recession.definitely more fun than clinging to religion. and if it's not hunting season then what else are you suppose to do?! ;)
and yeah, those baseball tickets are ridiculous, especially for the good seats. in the movie theatre the ticket prices are the same no matter where you sit. just go early.

Shadow_Ferret
05-06-2008, 06:49 PM
We saw it in one of those newer type theaters with tables and nice swivel office chairs and waitstaff. Makes movies fun again.

ChaosTitan
05-06-2008, 06:58 PM
technically you can't really compare it to spiderman or any other summer blockbuster. this is the first one with a world wide release and not just limited to US screens.

Sure you can. The weekend haul that made it the #2 opening was just for the domestic release. It doesn't include the world-wide release numbers.

maestrowork
05-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Sure you can. The weekend haul that made it the #2 opening was just for the domestic release. It doesn't include the world-wide release numbers.

That is correct. They made about $90 million worldwide. Still, they have more screens than Spider-Man did, plus with inflation -- so Spider-Man still holds the record by a long shot. I'm expecting, however, Indiana Jones to break all records on May 22.

KTC
05-06-2008, 07:38 PM
I watched Iron Man last night... thought it was great. My wife and son both loved it too. Robert is such an incredible actor.

maestrowork
05-06-2008, 08:32 PM
BTW, if you can't get enough of Iron Man/RDJ... Tony Stark will make an appearance in the Incredible Hulk later this summer.

Shadow_Ferret
05-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Iron Man II is slated for 2010. The Avengers 2011. Captain America 2011.

Man, I can't wait. :)

ChaosTitan
05-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Now if only DC could get their butts into gear with their supposed Justice League movie....

daverockz
05-06-2008, 11:54 PM
loved it

Plot Device
05-07-2008, 05:17 AM

In response to all of the above posts, I off this quote which was uttered during the Great Depression:

"As long as our country has Shirley Temple, we will be all right." --President, Franklin Delano Roosevelt (http://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/index.cfm?fuseaction=showIndividual&entitY_id=3814&source_type=A)

Yes, I think all the blockbusters they listed were escapist fare.

Indeed.

A quick analysis of the All-Time Top-20 Grossing Films (http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm) reveals that over 50% of them (often more like 95% of them, especially in recent years) are fanatsy/sci-fi based. Even though the list is constantly changing, this heavilly-skewed representation of fantasy in the public's preferences has been the case for over 10 years now (possibly longer --I've only been watching box office data for 10 years on a regular basis). And this 50% rule is likewise true for the past ten years worth of charts which have tracked the all-time domestic (http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm), all-time foriegn (http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/), and all-time-adjusted-for-inflation (http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm) as well.

And if you want to press the limits of this phenomenon, try expanding the samplings to the Top 30 and the Top 50, etc. Fantasy starts to slip a little and then eventually shares the spotlight with dramas and comedies. But the DEGREE of slippage in this exercise is very slight.

Nothing heavy. Certainly no shows about bad times and recessions.

During the depths of the recession in the early 1980's a very fine film called Pennies from Heaven was released starring very popular funny man Steve Martin and co-starring Bernadette Peters. It was a total flop, and the reason given was that the story was far too depressing.

Lisamer
05-07-2008, 07:47 AM
Awesome! Updated Reminder: Stay Past The Credits! ;)
( Just in case you did not read the whole thread!)

Silverhand
05-08-2008, 03:27 AM
I saw this last night. It is in my top 3 superhero movies of all time!!

jst5150
05-12-2008, 07:51 PM
I give it a B+.

Robert Downey Jr. is phenomenal. A brillant actor. And he shines here in almost the entire film. It's when he's told to act pissed, vengeful and enraged that the motif doesn't work for him.

Jeff Bridges is also way above par here. Gweneth Paltrow is, as usual, a nonfactor; just not very good. The wrong person for the role. Also, the climatic fight isn't. There were also "saw that coming a million miles away" moments. However, that said, it's a fantastic film that I'd go see again and own on DVD.

ChaosTitan
05-12-2008, 08:20 PM
There were also "saw that coming a million miles away" moments. However, that said, it's a fantastic film that I'd go see again and own on DVD.

It had a predictability that, overall, I didn't mind so much. But I do agree that Gwyneth Paltrow's role could have been played by anyone else and been much more noticeable.

Jcomp
05-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Jeff Bridges is also way above par here.

There was one little thing that he did with the character that I loved. In a couple of moments he put his arm around another character and brought them in uncomfortably close while talking to them. One of those annoying things that actual corporate egomaniacs I've known do. It made me dislike the character right away, as I was supposed to. I think Jeff Bridges is a really good, underrated actor and I thought he did great here. I just wish he'd had more screen time.

Perks
05-12-2008, 09:23 PM
I don't want to read for worry of spoilers, but is this something I could take my kids to? I don't mind a bit of language. I just don't want to have to explain highly sex-tense situations or stuff that's psychologically frightening.

Somebody PM me, please!

Thank you!

III
05-12-2008, 09:32 PM
I give it a B+.

Robert Downey Jr. is phenomenal. A brillant actor. And he shines here in almost the entire film. It's when he's told to act pissed, vengeful and enraged that the motif doesn't work for him.

Jeff Bridges is also way above par here. Gweneth Paltrow is, as usual, a nonfactor; just not very good. The wrong person for the role. Also, the climatic fight isn't. There were also "saw that coming a million miles away" moments. However, that said, it's a fantastic film that I'd go see again and own on DVD.

Spot on. My thoughts exactly.

Shadow_Ferret
05-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Somebody PM me, please!

Thank you!
I PMed you. Had nothing to do with your question. I just think you're fun to talk to. :D

CDarklock
05-12-2008, 10:48 PM
There were also "saw that coming a million miles away" moments.

Um... you're aware that this is a comic book movie, right? Because comic books are remarkably predictable things. ;)

Perks
05-12-2008, 11:26 PM
I don't want to read for worry of spoilers, but is this something I could take my kids to? I don't mind a bit of language. I just don't want to have to explain highly sex-tense situations or stuff that's psychologically frightening.

Somebody PM me, please!

Thank you!Oh well. Still not peeking at the thread, but I think I'll probably have to preview it. I don't think the sex scene at the beginning is going to be something I want to put in their heads just yet.

Thank you for all your help! You people are pretty nice. Who knew?

jst5150
05-12-2008, 11:34 PM
I am. Thanks, CD. :)

maestrowork
05-12-2008, 11:35 PM
How old are your kids? There's a bit of sex. Violence of course -- much of it is comic book violence, but there are some realistic stuff (war with casualties, terrorist tortures, etc.) that can be scary for the young ones.

Sarita
05-12-2008, 11:41 PM
Gweneth Paltrow is, as usual, a nonfactor; just not very good. The wrong person for the role. I really like her, because I like the usual stuff she does, Emma, Shakespeare in Love, those types of girly movies. I wasn't expecting to like her in this one, and she surprised me. I thought she did well. And the red hair and that body? Total hottie. Total hottie after 2 kids? Call me impressed.

Celia Cyanide
05-13-2008, 12:17 AM
Now if only DC could get their butts into gear with their supposed Justice League movie....

I want a Teen Titans movie. They probably won't get it right, but I don't care...

ChaosTitan
05-13-2008, 12:23 AM
I want a Teen Titans movie. They probably won't get it right, but I don't care...

Only if they do the classic Wolfman/Perez team from the mid-80's. Best. Line-up. Ever. :D

Bravo
05-13-2008, 12:25 AM
Oh well. Still not peeking at the thread, but I think I'll probably have to preview it. I don't think the sex scene at the beginning is going to be something I want to put in their heads just yet.

Thank you for all your help! You people are pretty nice. Who knew?

sex is implied not shown, but i think it's probably too loud and intense for young kids.

Constantine K
05-16-2008, 05:59 AM
RDJ is really bi? I was kidding about making out with him: I might only want to smell him a bit, or run a hand through his hair.

That's werid though. He's so manly, I just can't imagine him with a dude.

Sassee
05-19-2008, 07:23 PM
We've seen this twice already. I still want to see it again, and I would if I could somehow manage to buy children's tickets for the reduced price... do those look different than the adult ones? :e2brows: :2angel:

***minor spoilers***

Fantastic characters. Really loved RDJ. That man is HAWT in that role (that's the sort of character that just melts the pants off of women). Loved Gwyneth except for the very end... felt she was kind of "meh" during that final battle. Honestly, why was she just standing around outside waiting to hear Tony in the earpiece? (though I loved the "taking out the trash" line and the "you left me on the balcony" line... priceless).

(highlight iffin' ya wanna see it) "Truth is... I am Iron Man."

Best. Line. Ever.

And yeah, this definitely raises the bar for super hero / comic book movies. I'm so glad we didn't get another cheesy movie. I hate some of these other movies based off of games / comics. This one I felt was *the best* super hero movie I've ever seen. Spiderman can just take a back seat. He was pitiful in a loveable sort of way and was traditionally "I must save the world" built in his personality. He was predictably handicapped by love. Iron Man was so much more fun. I got that feeling from his character that he wanted to be a super hero just because he could. He liked the attention. (See whited out quote above.) Yeah, he does want to defend people from the weapons his company made, but his character didn't dwell on the fact that he did something wrong, and there was no obligatory pity party happening in this film. He just went out and did shit. That's nice, I made a mistake, let's go fix it. LOVE it.

Now, when is this coming out on DVD? I'm buying this for myself and everyone else I know.

Shadow_Ferret
05-19-2008, 07:42 PM
I prefered the original lineup from the Silver Age myself.

Triomferus
05-19-2008, 07:50 PM
I enjoyed it a lot, being a Marvel comics nerd myself. They really captured the essence of Iron Man with this hybrid of the older and newer stories. I *love* how they already planted the seeds for a couple of the recent comic events with the "after the credits" extra scene. Robert Downey Jr. really nailed his role here, and I can't imagine many others would have worked for it. I've only gone to see it once, as I figure with the prices of movie theatres (and the lesser quality compared to a projector home theatre setup in some cases such as mine) nowadays I may as well buy the DVD/Bluray and watch it again in comfort once it's out.

Bubastes
05-25-2008, 12:25 AM
What a fun movie! RDJ was definitely hot and perfect for this role. Mrrroowwww. He even managed to make engineering look sex-ay. Seriously, that's a challenge!

Calla Lily
06-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Y'all have it wrong, wrong, wrong. Finally saw this yesterday, and the best piece of acting in the film was indeed from Paltrow!

That moment when she ran along the open-grid stainless steel walkway in 4" spike heels. Without sinking through a hole or twisting an ankle OR losing her balance. Oscar nomination material. :tongue

Perks
06-08-2008, 06:05 PM
This movie kicked butt from at least three angles. I just saw it day before yesterday and I really, really hope to be able to watch it again before it leaves the theater.

Go on, ask me when was the last time I saw a film twice on the big screen.

Dommo
06-08-2008, 06:12 PM
I enjoyed this movie quite a bit.

All I know is I'd kill to have Tony Stark's drafting tools(The 3-D hologram set up).

Soccer Mom
06-08-2008, 07:00 PM
I saw it friday and loved it. It's the best thing I've seen in the theatres in quite a while. I'm so glad RDJ is back. He's such a terrific actor. Normally I hate sequels, but I'm chomping at the bit for more.

Sarita
06-10-2008, 05:43 AM
This movie kicked butt from at least three angles. I just saw it day before yesterday and I really, really hope to be able to watch it again before it leaves the theater.

Go on, ask me when was the last time I saw a film twice on the big screen.
I'd like to know which three angles.

And Perks? When was the last time you saw a film twice in the theater? (Oooo, lemme guess? Gone in 60 seconds?)

robeiae
06-10-2008, 06:00 AM
The Scarlet Letter?

:ROFL:

Perks
06-10-2008, 06:06 AM
I'd like to know which three angles.

And Perks? When was the last time you saw a film twice in the theater? (Oooo, lemme guess? Gone in 60 seconds?)Acting, humor, and pacing. There's also the knife edge of camp and really knee-tickling explosions. Good music.

I've never seen Gone in 60 Seconds - either version.

And now I have to reveal that I don't know the answer to my own question. The Scarlet Letter? Wha?

Sarita
06-10-2008, 06:11 AM
I've never seen Gone in 60 Seconds - either version.WHA!?!?! Elenor, Jamie! Elenor! OMG. She's so pretty. And totally worth the so-so movie.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/crying_Irish227/Shelby_GT500_Eleanor_1967_01.jpg

Perks
06-10-2008, 06:14 AM
I don't know. Mustangs are, well, Mustangs. The only Mustang I liked, wasn't exactly. 'Twas this - http://classicponycars.com/images/72Mach1.jpg

robeiae
06-10-2008, 06:15 AM
The Scarlet Letter? Wha?I amuse myself greatly.

Perks
06-10-2008, 06:16 AM
Besides, films that center on cars usually make me angry. A car is a top notch prop for an awesome biped.

Perks
06-10-2008, 06:16 AM
I amuse myself greatly.I'm sure, but we're not talking about you with your measuring tape.

Why is The Scarlet Letter funny?

Perks
06-10-2008, 06:27 AM
Besides, if we're going to talk about sexy cars, we can even stay on topic. Tony Stark drives my newest love, the Audi R8 -
http://image.motortrend.com/f/auctions/custom-2008-audi-r8-up-for-auction-through-bergdorf-goodman/7335912+cr1+re0+ar1/2008-audi-r8.jpg

Bravo
06-10-2008, 06:34 AM
i went to sunglasses hut the other day and picked out some glasses, and the chick goes:

oh those are really great. they're from the movie.

me: what movie?

her: iron man.

me: i thought those lens' were red.

her: it's the lighting. try them on.

so i try them on, and i look really good in them, which makes me sad, because i suddenly wasnt sure if i thought i looked good because iron man wore those glasses or if i actually looked good because the glasses looked good on me.

would i be checking out these glasses if it werent for the movie?

it annoyed the hell out of me.

but the girl insisted i look good so i got the glasses anyways.

so long story short perks, i dunno if that car or my glasses are that cool or i think they're cool because tony stark is cool.

eta:

and really, neither do you.

that's the facts maam.

Sarita
06-10-2008, 06:35 AM
Oh! I know! When he zipped away in it, I gasped, "The R8!" And I NEVER say a word during movies. :)

Bravo
06-10-2008, 06:37 AM
sara get rid of your avatar.

i thought you were some random dude so i kept ignoring you.

Perks
06-10-2008, 06:40 AM
Saw the R8 on the internet first, then profiled on a car show, then on my CBS guilty pleasure Moonlight, and now Iron Man's flitabout, when rocket-boosters are overkill. Too good.

P.S. I'd like to state for the record that I cannot, in good conscience, recommend Moonlight. It's probably very bad. I just like it anyway.

Sarita
06-10-2008, 06:59 AM
sara get rid of your avatar.

i thought you were some random dude so i kept ignoring you.
I'd like to state, for the record, that I saw this post AFTER I changed my avatar!

Bravo
06-10-2008, 07:11 AM
:rolleyes:

katiemac
06-11-2008, 02:18 AM
FINALLY saw it.

Yay, RDJ! :) I would have tweaked some plot/story things, but overall it was a lot of fun. RDJ was excellent in it, by far the best thing about it. And I had a minor geek attack during the scene after the credits ... as I was just complaining to someone the other day about the lack of superhero roles for black actors (Hancock aside).

robeiae
06-11-2008, 04:10 AM
I'm sure, but we're not talking about you with your measuring tape.

Why is The Scarlet Letter funny?Because it's so friggin bad?

Perks
06-11-2008, 04:21 AM
Was it? I didn't see it.

You confuse me, Robeiae. You are, how shall we say? Inscrutible.

robeiae
06-11-2008, 06:12 AM
I'm not sure what it was that Bravo deleted...but no doubt it was a riposte par excellence.

Stormhawk
06-12-2008, 04:40 AM
*has booked tickets for Hulk and wonders if it can surpass Iron Man*

katiemac
06-12-2008, 05:12 AM
*has booked tickets for Hulk and wonders if it can surpass Iron Man*

Early reviews say it's an only slightly better rendition than the Ang Lee version. But that's no indication of the actual box office--and since Tony Stark appears, it might drive in the skeptics.

Stormhawk
06-12-2008, 05:58 AM
The only solace I can take about the Ang Lee version was that I was drunk when I saw it. >_<

StoryG27
06-23-2008, 06:06 AM
I just watched this. The movie was fine, but I don't think I was as impressed with it as others.

The beginning was great but then I felt it dragged and took a while to get me back into the plot. I loved the humor. And, I have to admit, a great deal of my entertainment was the group of about five or six young soldiers sitting behind me "narrating." Some of their comments on the weapons and such made me laugh. I know it is subjective, but I'd say this is a seven on a scale of one to ten.