PDA

View Full Version : A Challenge for everyone

Joycecwilliams
04-09-2008, 04:43 PM
I heard on TV the other day (while passing through the room) about a pastor who challenged his congregation to not complain for 21 days.

It doesn't matter what religion you are or if you believe. The object of the exercise is to get negativity out of your life.

We have set up a jar and each time anyone in the house complain we have to put in a nickle (we are expecting a lot of complaining) At the end of the 21 days the person with the least number of complaints gets the money.

I would up the ante but the kids don't have that much money.

So far we are on the second day. I've one good thing happen. My granddaughter didn't put the top tight on the rice, and when she went to put it away. It fell all over the floor including our Beagle. Usually I would have been complaining... why didn't you...... whatever. However I took a minute and looked at the dog... she look so funny with cooked rice all over her. I ended up laughing and actually rolling on the floor.

bluntforcetrauma
04-09-2008, 04:49 PM
However I took a minute and looked at the dog... she look so funny with cooked rice all over her. I ended up laughing and actually rolling on the floor.

What are you trying to do, open a China Buffet close to home?

bluntforcetrauma
04-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Dammmmmmmmnnnnnnn! I did better than win the lottery! I got a Haskins rep for the last post!

KTC
04-09-2008, 05:02 PM
I am filing a complaint with the mods. I have had enough with challenges.

Joycecwilliams
04-09-2008, 05:24 PM
I am filing a complaint with the mods. I have had enough with challenges.

A nickel for your thoughts... :)

Joycecwilliams
04-09-2008, 05:26 PM
What are you trying to do, open a China Buffet close to home?

My Beagle looked like a bride from a wedding gone bad... :)

I don't do Chinese, I am boycotting Chinese restaraunts because of Tibet.. :)

bluntforcetrauma
04-09-2008, 05:28 PM
I am boycotting Chinese restaraunts because of Tibet.. :)

I boycott 'em 'cuz Bob Barker and the ASPCA wouldn't approve.

Joycecwilliams
04-09-2008, 05:30 PM
I boycott 'em 'cuz Bob Barker and the ASPCA wouldn't approve.

synopsis

Chinese buffets serve cats and they are not fixed or neutered.. :)

dolores haze
04-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Thanks for sharing this, Joyce. I really love this idea and I'm gonna talk with my family about doing the challenge. Maybe we'll talk tonight after watching the Idol Gives Back show. I think, though, that whatever we collect will be donated to charity, rather than be prize money.

bluntforcetrauma
04-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Always get yer pets sprayed and notarized!

Williebee
You're boycotting Chinese restaurants because of Tibet?

Are you boycotting Walmart too?

btw, I love the idea of the jar!

bluntforcetrauma
Thanks for sharing this, Joyce. I really love this idea and I'm gonna talk with my family about doing the challenge. Maybe we'll talk tonight after watching the Idol Gives Back show. I think, though, that whatever we collect will be donated to charity, rather than be prize money.

Make checks payable to:

Bluntforce Industries, LLC

bluntforcetrauma
04-09-2008, 05:32 PM

I boycott anyplace that expects me to pay for goods and services!

Joycecwilliams
04-09-2008, 05:33 PM

That is an excellent idea. Last night our family's dinner conversation was the best in ages... It really made a difference..

Sassee
04-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Nice! Sounds like a fun challenge, and a good opportunity to practice alternate responses for later use in novels.

"You have to cook the dog first before you put the rice on it, honey."

(kidding! KIDDING! omg! don't hurt meh!)

Joycecwilliams
04-09-2008, 05:36 PM

btw, I love the idea of the jar!

I never go to Wal-Mart. However I was joking about the Chinese Restaraunts. I just prefer Mexican or Italian food..

bluntforcetrauma
04-09-2008, 05:37 PM
That is an excellent idea. Last night our family's dinner conversation was the best in ages... It really made a difference..

How was the Doggy-Style Rice anyway?

bluntforcetrauma
04-09-2008, 05:38 PM

Ever heard of Poochie Sushi?

Joycecwilliams
04-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Nice! Sounds like a fun challenge, and a good opportunity to practice alternate responses for later use in novels.

LOL.... I know I'm nuts but the rice was really cooked for the dogs to eat. I make them dinner everynight.. Yup I am a certified nut case... cooking for dogs.. :)

bluntforcetrauma
04-09-2008, 05:44 PM
LOL.... I know I'm nuts but the rice was really cooked for the dogs to eat. I make them dinner everynight.. Yup I am a certified nut case... cooking for dogs.. :)

My mother in law has been cooking for dogs ever since I met my wife. She doesn't know it, though. *Rick slides plate under table "Here damn dog, eat this crap!"*

Meerkat
04-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Up the ante! This is how I win their allowance back from the little bas-- from the kids every month!

Seriously though, this is a great idea--we may try it at our house, if only our house wasn't such a cramped crackerbox of.... whoops! Yeah, a nickel's probably the right amount...

bluntforcetrauma
04-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Up the ante! This is how I win their allowance back from the little bas-- from the kids every month!

Seriously though, this is a great idea--we may try it at our house, if only our house wasn't such a cramped crackerbox of.... whoops! Yeah, a nickel's probably the right amount...

I'm beginning my new economic plan. 25 cents for a sheet of toilet paper. $8 for a phone call (local). Food and drink? Ha! They can't afford my exhorbitant prices! *Rick rubs hands together "Excellent."*

Joycecwilliams
04-09-2008, 05:50 PM

Allowance... they pay us for living here... :) Just kidding...

bluntforcetrauma
04-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Allowance... they pay us for living here... :)

Note to self: Emergency family meeting at once!

Komnena
04-09-2008, 05:55 PM

No, you aren't certified yet. Real certified nut cases get up at 6 a.m. on their days off to take their pets to the vet.

Joycecwilliams
04-09-2008, 06:05 PM
No, you aren't certified yet. Real certified nut cases get up at 6 a.m. on their days off to take their pets to the vet.

That is just being a good parent.. :)

BenPanced
04-09-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm complaining you served rice instead of macaroni.

TrainofThought
04-09-2008, 06:58 PM
I heard on TV the other day (while passing through the room) about a pastor who challenged his congregation to not complain for 21 days.

It doesn't matter what religion you are or if you believe. The object of the exercise is to get negativity out of your life.

We have set up a jar and each time anyone in the house complain we have to put in a nickle (we are expecting a lot of complaining) At the end of the 21 days the person with the least number of complaints gets the money.

I would up the ante but the kids don't have that much money.

So far we are on the second day. I've one good thing happen. My granddaughter didn't put the top tight on the rice, and when she went to put it away. It fell all over the floor including our Beagle. Usually I would have been complaining... why didn't you...... whatever. However I took a minute and looked at the dog... she look so funny with cooked rice all over her. I ended up laughing and actually rolling on the floor.Nice idea, Joyce. I'm going to consult with myself to see if I can afford it. My savings is dwindling as I type. :) Seriously, it's a good teaching method... and savings.

Joycecwilliams
04-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Nice idea, Joyce. I'm going to consult with myself to see if I can afford it. My savings is dwindling as I type. :) Seriously, it's a good teaching method... and savings.

I think a lot of people are feeling the effects of the higher gas prices. Good luck.

L M Ashton
04-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Another thing that works for me and my particular insanities is expressing gratitude every single day. No exceptions. It's worked wonders for my own particular attitude problems. :)

KTC
04-09-2008, 07:44 PM
A nickel for your thoughts... :)

Do not nickel and dime me, Missy!

Upbeat
04-09-2008, 11:41 PM
joycewilliams, re/'a challenge for everyone' - Super idea ! There's far more of this positive sort of stuff going on than we'd ever hear via mass 'bad-news' media.
My daughter and friends held a succesful auction last weekend to raise $$$ for a needy single mom dying of cancer.

Joycecwilliams
04-10-2008, 12:37 AM
Another thing that works for me and my particular insanities is expressing gratitude every single day. No exceptions. It's worked wonders for my own particular attitude problems. :)

Yes I heard about that also...

Joycecwilliams
04-10-2008, 12:38 AM
Do not nickel and dime me, Missy!

Yippee I got called Missy... :)

melaniehoo
04-10-2008, 12:41 AM
Can I do it just for a week?

Joycecwilliams
04-10-2008, 01:45 AM
Can I do it just for a week?

Well the theory is that it takes 3 weeks to develope a new habit.

StephanieFox
04-10-2008, 02:25 AM
No, you're wrong that it doesn't matter what religion you are for this challenge. If you are a Jew, then you have to complain. It's a cultural imperative. It's too cold, it's too hot, the dog is snoring and keeping me awake, my back hurts, the president/congress sucks eggs whatever.

Especially with Passover coming up. During the Passover Sedar (ritual meal) we complain about bondage in Egypt even though it was 3k years ago, that the roast chicken is dry, that there's too much salt in the matzoball soup, that the book we're using for the ritual is too long/short or too archaic/modern and isn't it too bad Aunt Rose couldn't make it this year with her new husband who is just a gold digger.

I think that I'm proudly going to carry on this traditions. I think it'll be ok, because we'll all talk at once anyway (Yiddish Ya Ya), and no one is going to hear me.

Tee-hee-hee.

choppersmom
04-10-2008, 04:09 AM

*quivering lip*

I am NOT a nut case!!

It wasn't my day off, I TOOK the day off to take the cat to have his bladder drained. So that loophole exempts me from nut-case-dom, right??

Seriously, I've done this and more for my pets. I have 20 odd pets - and I mean 20 odd in the sense that I have approximately 20, and also in the sense that they are extremely odd - and I mean odd in the sense that many of them are exotics, and also in the sense that most of them are out of their little minds.

Let's see the grammar police do their thing with that sentence!

choppersmom
04-10-2008, 04:10 AM
I'm complaining you served rice instead of macaroni.

Yeah, me too! I LOVE macaroni! And pasta of any kind! With butter and grated cheese on it! YEAH!

William Haskins
04-10-2008, 04:12 AM
this thread is meandering and hard to follow.
gas is too high and my kidney hurts.
kids these days are stupid.
i'm thirsty.

paprikapink
04-10-2008, 04:24 AM
I propose an exemption. If someone in your family is passing a kidney stone, everyone has to give that person their nickels, no puttin' em the jar or nothin', just pass em straight to The Passer.

BenPanced
04-10-2008, 08:47 AM
I propose an exemption. If someone in your family is passing a kidney stone, everyone has to give that person their nickels, no puttin' em the jar or nothin', just pass em straight to The Passer.
Nickel, hell. They get $50.