Military Ranks (Coast Guard/Navy)

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
Is this realistic?

I have a scene where a suspicious cargo ship gets boarded by the Coast Guard for an inspection. The inspection team, coming off a Patrol Boat, is headed by a Lieutenant Commander, who is also commanding the Patrol Boat.

Would his own men refer to him as Lieutenant?

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not 100% on this but I think there's two lieutenant positions in the coast guard which makes me think they would call him Commander, but like I said i'm not 100%

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
A Lt. Commander is an O-4, equal in rank to a Major. You don't say what size patrol boat this is, but I would think it would have to be a cutter for someone of that rank. Smaller patrol boats would not need someone of that high a rank.

It seems unlikely that he would personally investigate the ship. Seems more likely he'd use a subordinate.

It's my understanding that normally a ship's commander is called a "captain" by custom. This is not the same as his military rank. Most ships' "captains" are not actually captains.

I'd call up my friendly Coast Guard recruiter and ask.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Last edited:

hammerklavier

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I knew this would be no problem for you guys. All questions get answered here at AW. Maybe we should have a stump the chumps thread to see if there are any questions that can't be answered :)

She_wulf

that's me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CaliaWilde.com
Is this realistic?

I have a scene where a suspicious cargo ship gets boarded by the Coast Guard for an inspection. The inspection team, coming off a Patrol Boat, is headed by a Lieutenant Commander, who is also commanding the Patrol Boat.

Would his own men refer to him as Lieutenant?
Depending at what point in the inspection you could also have a Warrant Officer with the boarding crew in order to cut apart the ship being boarded. (That's if they suspect hidden cargo.)

Also Here's a link: http://www.gruntsmilitary.com/cgrank4.shtml It's for Coast Guard Rank Insignia. There may be more info there than just the insignia.

One more thing...did you know that once they are done "inspecting" the ship/boat, the CG has to put it all back together again? Say they don't find drugs, then the boat gets welded back up by the engine/welding crew (consisting of a ranking enlisted man and assistant in a likely scenario)

I had a friend in the Coast Guard who spent 15+ years below decks. He'd come out from the engines for just such scenarios.

Another link: http://www.uscg.mil/History/FAQS/Designations.html Coastie cutters info.

Last edited:

tallus83

Registered
Reaction score
He would be addressed as 'Captain' and he would not lead the inspection team.

The team would be led by the executive officer/second-in-command or by an officer assigned to handle boarding parties, if the Coast Guard ship is a large one.

hammerklavier

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, more good info.

Mr. Fix

Fixed on the future...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Butter, Butter, Butterbar anyone...

They'd call him Commander.

Just like the Army calls a LTC - Colonel for short (or a light colonel if they're out of earshot). *grin*

I always loved the 'Butterbar' nickname in the Army for a 2nd Lieutenant (for those that don't know, it's 'cause they wear a yellow bar instead of the silver bar for 1st Lt.):e2salute:

PS; From what my 'squid' friends have told me (and this goes for the jarhead's too) I think they would refer to him as 'Skipper' as long as they really liked him.

Last edited: