Status
Not open for further replies.

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
I sent my query packet to Peter Rubie at FinePrint (one word) Literary Management, and less than a week later got a form rejection. I assume that means they didn't even read my query. Yes? No? Maybe?

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Sigh. They read it. They just didn't like it. Keep submitting, and post your query for feedback here in the SYW forums if you'd like.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, they almost certainly read it. It doesn't take long for a professional agent or editor to know what they want and what they don't want. A paragraph or two is usually enough. The advice I've received is don't analyze a rejection; just accept the no and move on.

Sorry about the rejection, though. They suck no matter what.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
They skimmed it at the very least. For whatever reason it didn't catch their attention or fit in with their needs. Just keep plugging along and getting it out there to others.

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
Thanks for the advice - I posted my query in SYW

Thanks for all the advice, it helps. I also took the advice of posting my query (it's for a science fiction novel) on SYW; I figured it would be better to get some additional feedback before I send it out again.

Jackfishwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Wandering between Mexico and the Arctic Circle
Website
www.myspace.com
Sometimes they really don't read the queries!!! (it's true!) For example, I just received a form rejection letter that had one line underlined in pen: "We only accept work from Canadian citizens". My query letter very clearly stated in two places that I am a Canadian citizen, but currently living in the US. It seems they just saw my return address and thought oh goodie, this'll be an easy rejection.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Most of the agents I have queried have responded very quickly. Most in less than a week or I haven't heard a thing. The last agent I queried sent said "interested" and wanted me to send more. That response came in about one hour. I would not read into the timing thing. However, I too had queried Peter and have not heard a thing. When I don't hear anything, that is when I start to think that no one is reading it. Good luck.

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
Tburger, don't query Peter. He's more suspense/thriller/mystery. You want your query to go to Colleen Lindsay at Fine Print. She's their gal for sff. Good luck!

Jackfishwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Wandering between Mexico and the Arctic Circle
Website
www.myspace.com
One other FYI about getting responses from your queries to agents:

*Check your spam-box/junk-mail folders in your email account!!!

Being the techno-idiot that I am, I never checked these things until I got curious recently and discovered that in the last month three agents had wanted to see fulls or partials!!! Who knows what was sent to me in the YEARS before that when i NEVER checked my spam/junk boxes!
I feel like a dummy for admitted this, but please, learn from my mistake!

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
I wouldn't worry about being rejected after a week. If, on the other hand, they never replied, it would be more likely they didn't read it. A week is plenty of time to read a one-page letter.

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
Colleen

Karen

I don't see Colleen on their website - did she leave? Is it possible that FinePrint doesn't do SF anymore?

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
Phew

Maybe that's why I got rejected! I just emailed Colleen my query; thanks for helping me out. We'll see how it goes...

Status
Not open for further replies.