Further/farther

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Farther is related to distance. Further is not.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Farther is for distance, as in: His house was farther from the school than mine.

Further means in addition to, as in: Further to our discussion on the mating habits of albino rats; or Furthermore, I believe albino rats to be vile creatures.

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
Farther is American. Further is British. (Point me to the dictionary entry that says something else.)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Farther is American. Further is British. (Point me to the dictionary entry that says something else.)
Well, I've never heard even an American say, "farthermore" or "farther to our discussion". Although I have heard "further" used for distance, as if it's interchangeable with farther. But that doesn't make it right.

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
Etymology Online says:

"There is no historical basis for the notion that farther is of physical distance and further of degree or quality."

They're interchangeable. "Farther" is the newer word.

The British/American thing might have been something I've dreamed... :)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean that Americans are simply more likely to use further for distance? Or are you saying that Americans always use further for distance to the exclusion of the word farther? Because I don't believe that's a correct statement.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Usage notes are handy :)
Usage Note: Since the Middle English period many writers have used farther and further interchangeably. According to a relatively recent rule, however, farther should be reserved for physical distance and further for nonphysical, metaphorical advancement. Thus 74 percent of the Usage Panel prefers farther in the sentence If you are planning to drive any farther than Ukiah, you'd better carry chains, and 64 percent prefers further in the sentence We won't be able to answer these questions until we are further along in our research. In many cases, however, the distinction is not easy to draw. If we speak of a statement that is far from the truth, for example, we should also allow the use of farther in a sentence such as Nothing could be farther from the truth. But Nothing could be further from the truth is so well established as to seem a fixed expression.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com

I didn't know that farther was a word till this thread. I've always used further for both meanings, and never had an English teacher complain.

I also pronounce it as further for both meanings... someone that pronounced it as farther would sound a bit odd in this area. It doesn't match the local accent.

So I wouldn't discount the idea of regional variation.

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
I use further exclusively. American usage notes are of course none of my business.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I also pronounce it as further for both meanings... someone that pronounced it as farther would sound a bit odd in this area. It doesn't match the local accent.

So I wouldn't discount the idea of regional variation.

I concur. Anyone saying farther round here would get 'What's your Dad got to do with it?'

Tristis

Registered
Reaction score
Suzette Haden Elgin, comical linguist that she is, wrote the novel Furthest published by Ace Publications NY, 1971

Good SF about this very topic :D

Mr. Fix

Fixed on the future...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
1. The further I go down this road the farther I get from home.

2. The farther I go down this road the further I get from home.

Had to think about this one for a while. It can be confusing. I like the #1 version, but really, I cannot tell the difference.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Personally I believe farther is for physical distance and futher is for anything else (abstract). But I tend to just use further anyway.

Just be consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.