The Making of a Short Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anatole Ghio

Ironic Paranormal
Registered
Reaction score
Hey gang -

I just finshed working on a short story and the writing of it involved some decisions that I think are an interesting illumination into the writing process.

I'm going to try to write this so reading my story won't be necessary... but if you do want to read it and don't want anything spoiled in advance, you can find the story on my blog. I have linked each part at the start of each section. This section deals with part 1 of the story, so the link to part one is below.

Click here for part one.

It began with a little one page writing exercise I did a few months ago. I was freewriting and for whatever reason, wrote a little piece going behind the scenes of a fashion show. I let it sit for a while and then came back to it, thought it would be easy to whip out and post on my blog, so I took it from my writing journal and retyped it into Word.

Decision 1: looking at the piece, I felt it needed a main character to view the action behind the scenes. I felt the designer himself would be the strongest choice. Problem was, I had no idea who the character would be, just the idea of what he did for a living.

So I stopped looking at the Word document in front of me and got onto the internet to do some quick surfing for information.

I googeled "Strangest Fashion Shows in History" and after poking around, came upon the designer "Hussein Chalayan".

Hussein was a fashion prodigy who won Designer of the year fresh out of Art school. As a designer, he is as liable to take inspiration from architecture or critical theory, as from fashion history. He is quite bold yet simple in his designs and is willing to take risks. He once held a show where the clothing was designed as furniture! The models came on stage, climbed into the furniture and walked off the stage wearing the chairs and tables as dresses and skirts.

As crazy as this sounds, the reviews of the show were astounding and he won Designer of the Year as a result.

He then went on to do a show where the clothing came from him drawing sketches while blindfolded!

I then surfed for some critical theory writing on fashion. Since Hussein was influenced by Derrida, I looked for something from him on fashion, but that was a bust. I googled Barthes and found something from him on fashion. I cut and pasted that into the story and after looking at it for awhile, began to rewrite, rearrange and make Barthes words into my own. I mixed it in with the writing I already had and by the time I was done, all that was left of Barthes were a few key concepts (Super-code) and not much else.

I brought in some of the historical incidents about Hussein (the detail of him winning an award for having a show with the critics blindfolded came from the collection he made while blindfolded -- and the character's name of Saddam Charlatan is based upon Hussein Chalayan).

By the end of all this work, Midnight had become 7 AM... my piece was getting much too long to put onto my blog and I wasn't even done.

Decision 2: It semeed the wisest course was to post it in parts. This meant I had to artificially insert a climax at the end of the first part. This took another half an hour to do.

I then went to bed and got about 3 hours sleep before going to work, still unsure how I would end the piece that night...

To be Continued...

Last edited:

Anatole Ghio

Ironic Paranormal
Registered
Reaction score
Part two:

Click here for part two.

When I began work that night, I had already settled on the end of the piece so it seemed it would be only a brief nights worth of work. However, as soon as I began, I realized halfway through I needed a transition into the climax.

Decision 3: The whole story had been focused on the inner conclict, so I felt having Saddam interact with another character would draw the reader in. I felt it was important to have the reader involved before going into the climax.

Whatever the conflict was, it would have to move the story into the climax... so I felt having him interact with someone at his job would make this an easy transition. Having used a reference to Barthes "Super-Code" I felt having the character be fascinated with crosswords and obsessively saving them after he had finished, would be a good way to kill two birds with one stone.

Once I wrote out the dialogue between Saddam and his secretary, I reaized it was much longer than I needed, so I made the decision to break the story into three parts. This meant I had to expand the conflict with the secretary in order for the second part to have more weight, and I again had to devise another "false" ending.

This false ending took a few wrong turns until I decided to parody the opening words of the second section by rewording it at the end... this gave it the feeling of things coming full circle.

This worked fine by me. The second section seemed longer than the first, so I did a word count. First part: 400 words. Second part: 500 words!

Oh well, another 7 hour night was finished, now to get to bed and get another 3 hours rest before going to work!

To be Concluded...

Last edited:

Anatole Ghio

Ironic Paranormal
Registered
Reaction score
Part three:

Click here for part three.

I took the next day off. I was much too wiped out to do any writing.

The next day after that, however, and I was back at it again.

I sat down in front of the blank screen and began to write some of the narrative. However, my final scene was supposed to be at a fashion show and just like when I wrote the first part and didn't know enough about fashion designers, I didn't know enough about fashion shows and needed to do some research to write the scene.

I found a fashion site with some fashion show footage arranged by designer. I choose to watch the more avant garde designers: Jean Paul Gautier, Hussein Chalayan, Alexander McQueen. I immediately decided my previous idea was unrealistic and scrapped it. Without any real hint of how to do the end to my story, I decided doing research was better than twiddling my thumbs, so I spent the next three hours watching fashion show footage on the web.

As I did so, I detected a certain theme among the more adventurous designers, a certain way of using space to stage their shows. Jean Paul Gautier was headquartered in an old movie theater, one dutch designer held his show in an old cathedral, one designer made his runway look like a mosque.

Decision 4: I knew the notion of movement would be important to my piece, so I decided to hold the climatic fashion show in a subway station.

Once again, I sat down to do the writing and after getting a paragraph down, I realized I needed a conflict for my main character, or else he would be too passive in this section. I thought about bringing back the secretary, but her role didn't seem to fit the scene. I thought about a fashion critic, someone to argue with him about critical theory, but this seemed trite.

Decision 5: I looked back at the piece to see if there was anything there to utilize for a conflict, as this would be more organic than inventing something from nothing. In the second part, I had brought up the idea of the investors of the show, so it seemed to be a good idea to have a character as their mouth piece for the final part.

Now the piece began to write itself. Describing the show was fairly straight forward, as I had already visualized it in my head.

However, I still needed an ending to the story. I had already invented one, but with bringing in the investor as the antagonist, I knew I had to resolve this conflict in the end somehow... and my previous ending had nothing to do with the antogonist, so I scrapped it and had to think of a new one.

After some hither and thither, I came upon the idea of the protagonist taking the investor home. Once I got them there, I STILL needed an ending... so I simply showed the two of them at the breakfast table the next morning. I used the jacket from the show as an ironic point, because it also related to a conversation the main character had with his secretary earlier, and this would seem to be an organic callback.

However, I realized I never re-used the crosswords bit and that it would be a little contrived if not developed. So after having already posted the story with another final line, and after having already posted the first part of this behind the scenes (you read it right), I went in and edited the story so that the crossword obsession would have the final say... again, a nice little organic callback which made the whole thing seem to build and resolve (to me at least, and hopefully to the reader as well).

It seemed to be even longer than the first two parts, so I did another word count and I was right: 600 words! Twice as long as the first part. Good thing there wasn't a fourth part!!

So there you go. As you can see, because I was posting the story while still writing and revising it, it was a process of throwing a lot of little threads out and then trying to bring them back in at the end so that it all seemed to be planned that way from the start.

If only the reader knew how much chaos and disorder there was behind the scenes!

Shhh... don't anyone tell. It's our secret!
wink.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.