PDA

View Full Version : I said goodbye to my car today . . .

underthecity
04-08-2008, 02:22 AM
But it's only for a week.

I'm restoring a 1967 Mercury Park Lane convertible. I've owned it since October and it just sits in the garage while I've been doing slow work on it. I did a brake job on it in November, several odds and ends under the hood, and have been doing a slow interior restoration on it off and on over the past few months.

The previous owner gave it a paint job and overhauled the engine.

The engine used to run until I destroyed the flywheel (loose starter).

The transmission needed overhauled. It didn't hold fluid, and something that old needed service. Plus, it needs a complete exhaust just to get it on the road.

So, I've decided to work overtime for the next three months to pay for the needed repairs. Today a tow truck took it to a transmission place. From there it goes to an exhaust place. THEN I can drive it . . . to a tire place because it needs four new tires.

AT LAST it will be on the road. We can drive it with the top down . . . because it has no roof. The convertible roof needs to be installed.

Sigh. So many things to do, but at least I can drive it soon. Next week (fingers crossed).

allen

DeborahM
04-08-2008, 02:43 AM
OMG! I remember those! Fancy! Have fun when it's ready for the road!!

DWSTXS
04-08-2008, 03:32 AM
well, are you going to post some pics?

Perks
04-08-2008, 03:52 AM
Yes, pictures please.

underthecity
04-08-2008, 05:16 AM
Well, this is kind of embarassing, but I don't have any pictures of it right now. I had planned on taking pictures when I got more work done to it. Right now, the body looks good, but there is no roof and the interior is rough. To tell you the truth, I didn't want any "during" pictures. I only want the "after" pictures.

But, if you'd like to see what one looks like, here's an excellent example of a 1967 Mercury Park Lane hardtop (http://www.greene-shipman.org/MercuryParkLane.html). Not my website, but I use it as pictorial reference for my own project.

allen

MadScientistMatt
04-08-2008, 05:45 AM
Good luck with your project. It's great to see one finally come together.

SpookyWriter
04-08-2008, 05:52 AM
Yes, pictures please.

The hairy repair guy.

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/photos-ghosts/HairyGuy.jpg

DWSTXS
04-08-2008, 06:29 PM
I will have nightmares from this. gee thanks Spooky