Ever been to Bouchercon?

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of going to Bouchercon 2008, but am a bit hesitant. You see, I'm not a mystery writer, I write non-fic. If you've ever attended this conference, can you tell me if I'm going to feel absolutely, totally out of place? It looks like they welcome fans, and I do read a lot of mysteries, but am I going to be standing around with no one to talk to?

wombat

wombats galore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
animalsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com
I would also love to hear from anyone who's been. The 2008 conference is basically right up the road from me. I do write mysteries, and have an agent but not a publisher. I know that people go to these things to look for agents, and to promote books... but right now I'm not in the position to do either.

But I suppose if it sense for fans to attend then heck, I might as well go anyway.

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
Their schedule doesn't list any of the panels, so you can't even tell what the topics are.

Why don't you email them and ask? Can't hurt. :)

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Their schedule doesn't list any of the panels, so you can't even tell what the topics are.

I bet they don't even know yet--it's more than 6 months away, and my guess is that the panels aren't going to be finalized for a month or so.

narnia

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be attending as a hopeful. :tongue

It's my first time, but I'd be happy to hang with anyone who is going solo.

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score

Why don't you email them and ask? Can't hurt. :)

They don't now what the panels will be yet, but you can look at the schedule from previous years to get an idea. They are driven somewhat by who is attending and what panels they suggest and are willing to participate in. They include presentations on forensics by experts, panels on the business by editors and agents, panels on writing by authors, discussions of various aspects of the genre (hardboiled PI, setting, introducing romance, dealing with corpses, etc.). They even have had sessions specifically for librarians.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is one conference I've heard good things about. I'm considering going.

Bergerac

Reading & Writing
Registered
Reaction score
I went to KillerNashville last year and really enjoyed it... folks there were talking about Bouchercon saying it was terrific and pretty remarkable in scale so, hey, count me in!

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I just saw Bouchercon is being held in Baltimore! I've never attended a writer's conference before; they've all been so far away. But Baltimore is so close I'm seriously considering it.

EM

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe we should plan an AW meet-and-greet at Bouchercon. I too am thinking of going because it's within (long) driving distance, or I could take the train.

I'm sure it's too early to plan anything now. By October I'll probably be behind on the book I haven't started yet and it will be hard to justify going to a totally unrelated conference. All the more reason to register now!

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
An AW meet-and-greet sounds like fun! Count me in.

It would be nice to have a familar group of people to connect with at such a large forum!

Has anyone been to Boucheron before? I was on their site but the schedule hasn't been set. I'd like to book a room for one or two nights but I'm not sure which ones. Is there a pattern to the schedule of these events - like a particular day/night when most of the industry (editor/agent) events happen? Do they have meet-and-greets, or editor/agent appointments?

EM

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
So far, no one who has attended this conference has posted, just people who are interested in seeing comments from them. I can't believe that NO ONE at AW has ever attended!

Come on out of the woodwork and show yourselves!

ceelee

Registered
Reaction score
All right, I've come out of the woodwork :) I've been to two Bouchercons, both when they were in Toronto so can only comment on them. I enjoyed it very much both times but then, I'm a mystery lover and pre-pubbed writer :) Since everything is specific to the mystery and suspense genres, non-fans may not get a lot out of the con.

I think it also depends on who is running the con and who they manage to get in as speakers, mods etc as well as where it's held. Toronto, for example, doesn't have the big author base that some American cities have.

A word of warning: forensic lectures/panels are always very well attended, even if or esp if there are slides involved so get there early unless you want to stand out in the hall...

If I can find my Bouchercon programme book, I'll post more...

If you are planning a trip to Toronto, there's the Bloody Words con, June 6-8. Rosemary Aubert is the guest of honour, Carolyn Hart is the international guest of honour. See http://www.bloodywords.com/ for more info.

Last edited:

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
All right, I've come out of the woodwork :) I've been to two Bouchercons, both when they were in Toronto so can only comment on them. I enjoyed it very much both times but then, I'm a mystery lover and pre-pubbed writer :)

If I can find my Bouchercon programme book, I'll post more...

If you are planning a trip to Toronto, there's the Bloody Words con, June 6-8. Rosemary Aubert is the guest of honour, Carolyn Hart is the international guest of honour. See http://www.bloodywords.com/ for more info.

Thanks for posting, Ceelee, and welcome to AW!

Is the conference open to anyone? Do members of a particular org. get prefrence when it comes to reservations and workshops? What about agent/editor appointments?

ceelee

Registered
Reaction score
Ladies, you are both welcome :)

I'm not sure which con you're referring to, Elaine but I believe that both Bouchercon and Bloody Words are open to anyone who can pay the registration fee. I think at the Toronto Bouchercon, you could even pay by day instead of buying the pass but then, I was a volunteer via Sisters in Crime and got the freebie :)

With Bloody Words, you can't get an editor/agent appt w/o being a registered member of the con, as well as filling out a form or two. First come, first served and I think Bouchercon is the same. Makes sense otherwise those poor editors and agents wouldn't get a moment's peace :) Really, cons are a great place to hobnob with like-minded people and learn interesting stuff. I wish I could go to another one.