Who do you want to be when you grow up?

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My Dad, rest his soul, said he wanted to be Popeye or a pro wrestler when he grew up. I miss my father, he was the best.

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
I don't know about writing style, but I'd sure like my sales figures to be comparable to Patterson's :)

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
When I grow up I wanna be a fireman.

As for my writing, I wanna be a cross between the suspense of M. Night, the visual poetry of Melissa Matheson, the attention to silence of Frank Peretti, the biting logic of CS Lewis, and the overt humanity of Stephen King.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I'm not gonna lie to myself and pretend I won't be compared to anyone. Every author is defined by their peers in terms of similar authors.

So, I'll be honored if anybody says something I've written reminds them of Zelazny.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
I've always wanted to be a straight Batman.

(Seriously, I do think Batman is quite gay, and if he isn't written that way, he ought to be. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and I still consider him a great role model.)

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I was already compared to Hope Mirrlees and Lud in the Mist. *whereupon I blacked out* The only way I could be more thrilled than that is to wake up Katharine Hepburn one morning.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I' waiting to see if this one will work its way back to the OP's intent, which was a comparative book career, or it's hopelessly destined for Office Party....

By the way, I'm abstaining, because at the moment, I want Gena Showalter's career. And she's only just getting started, in my opinion. :D

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Hey I'll take Hope Mirrlees! It was a legitimate thing--after all she DID predate Tolkien by a decade.

But I think I'll pass on the rest of it. Although I'd love being a wealthy socialite who wrote just because, I think I'd rather keep myself together just a teensy bit better than she did.

Hepburn still stands though.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Other than the few respondents who happen to also be SF/F writers, what does this thread have to do with the forum's purpose: to discuss the genres of science fiction and fantasy?

That it's highly unlikely that any of us will become anyone other than ourselves, and speculating about it is ... fantasy?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
"In a class all of her own, Kress raised the bar for not only fantasy authors, but authors of fiction in general. She also had awesome hair."