HarperCollins model may be of interest to independent/self-publishers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JosephR

Registered
Reaction score
As many of you no doubt have heard, HarperCollins will be starting up a new imprint with a very different approach to selling books. Some of the unique features supposedly include:

1. Minimal (or no) advances to authors
2. Sharing profits with author instead of traditional royalty
3. Sales, marketing, and distribution exclusively via the Internet
4. A no-return policy

When I first read about this in the AW Roundtable forum (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98327), I thought, gee, that sounds similar to how small presses/self-publishers operate. Anyone else see it this way? Anyone have any ideas on how H/C might be successful in this venture when others, notably small presses/self-publishers, have struggled? Yes, I realize that HarperCollins is a far cry from a self-publisher, and they certainly have clout, but if they can make this new imprint successful without using the old tried and true model, maybe others could adopt a similar strategy.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
All the details on this venture are not yet in, and different sources say slightly different things--for instance, the first article I saw--I think an AP article by Hillel Italie--mentioned non-returnability, but according to a piece in Publisher's Lunch, non-returnability is not a set-in-stone policy. Also, while Harper is saying that the new imprint will be "taking full advantage of the internet for sales, marketing and distribution," that's not the same as saying that distribution with be Internet-only.

I'm really interested in this, but I think it's premature to do too much speculating. As the new imprint gets off the ground, things are likely to change.

- Victoria

MickRooney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com
As many of you no doubt have heard, HarperCollins will be starting up a new imprint with a very different approach to selling books. Some of the unique features supposedly include:

1. Minimal (or no) advances to authors
2. Sharing profits with author instead of traditional royalty
3. Sales, marketing, and distribution exclusively via the Internet
4. A no-return policy

This is an odd business publishing plan for HarperCollins to adopt. In short, it seems to discard the strengths of both Independent/Small Press and large Commercial publishers all in one go, leaving the weakest part of both publishing ends of the industry.

1. Minimal (no advances)/ 2. Sharing profits - I think the rotalty per cent would have to be vastly improved on 8-10%, say more like 50%, and one can't see where the money is in it for HarperCollins.

3. Sales/marketing/distribution - With less than 20% of sales online for commercial publishing - why immediately concede the other 80% bricks n mortal sales before you've even started out.

4. No returns - Without Brick n mortar sales, this is less of a problem, but only if the online sales are married with pod print technology. I can't see this working for offset print runs.

All in all I can't shake off a feeling that you end up with the worst of both publishing worlds. I really don't know where HarperCollins are going with this. I can see them doing an awful lot of rowing backwards on this.

Mick.

Last edited:

JosephR

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Victoria and Mick. We may just have to wait and see what HC's final strategy looks like. It's just darn interesting to follow.

JosephR

Registered
Reaction score
Good eye, Victoria. The idea of exclusively using the Internet for sales, marketing, etc. was in error. Rather, they apparently will be looking at how online sales, marketing, etc. can be used more effectively. It'll be interesting to see how the non-returnability issue pans out. I agree that it's too early to draw any conclusion.

MickRooney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com
Good eye, Victoria. The idea of exclusively using the Internet for sales, marketing, etc. was in error. Rather, they apparently will be looking at how online sales, marketing, etc. can be used more effectively. It'll be interesting to see how the non-returnability issue pans out. I agree that it's too early to draw any conclusion.

The online sales combined with brick n mortar sales at least makes a bit more sense. It will be interesting to see if this business strategy works out for HarperCollins.

Mick.

Status
Not open for further replies.