PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite comfort food?

WhisperingBard
04-01-2005, 08:25 AM
So the manuscript just isn't coming together. It's late at night. You're down. You're cold. You're hungry. What comfort food do you reach for?

Mac and cheese, for me. Though a chocolate chip muffin works wonders, too. :Coffee:

brokenfingers
04-01-2005, 08:46 AM
My favorite comfort food used to be candy...

brokenfingers
04-01-2005, 08:47 AM
sigh.....

I sure miss her...

E.G. Gammon
04-01-2005, 08:59 AM
Right now, I'm trying to slim down a little so the only food I have when I write is fruit (preferably grapes, red seedless) and a diet coke. But if I wasn't on a diet, it'd be Hostess Cupcakes, ya know, the chocolate ones with the creme filling, chocolate icing and the white swirl on the top. So good...

wurdwise
04-01-2005, 09:01 AM
Lay's Potato Chips, Peanut Butter eaten from the jar with a spoon, or strawberries with cream cheese.

wurdwise
04-01-2005, 09:03 AM
The thread is titled comfort food, but I followed the lead post and talked about snacks. Comfort food is real food, IMO, mashed potatoes, like you said, mac and cheese, carbohydrates.

Nivvie
04-01-2005, 12:08 PM
Sometimes I wonder is there's anthing better than just fresh, hot toast.

Perfectly golden brown with a big mug of tea (or coffee if your tastebuds have skipped out on you)

Patricia
04-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Anything on hand -- but preferably something chocolate or Frito Lays. In that order! ;)

Galoot
04-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Chocolate, ice cream, corn chips, cake, donuts...

God, I love being a skinny geek.

Fractured_Chaos
04-01-2005, 02:01 PM
Mac and cheese for me, too!

Or a big ol' baked potato with all the fix'ns...and I do mean the kind that are bad for you, bacon bits, sour cream, cheese.

Snak stuff, I like fresh broccoli and cauliflower with ranch dip, or hot, fresh breadstix from the pizza place across the street from me.

Chocolate...always chocolate. Or cheesecake. I can be bribed with either of those.

SRHowen
04-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Comfort food is the stuff you eat that you got as a child that made you feel better--IMHO anyway.

Hot tomatoe soup and a grilled cheese for me please.

Shawn

Kudra
04-01-2005, 03:48 PM
Chocolate. Potato chips. Popcorn.

aboyd
04-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Comfort food is real food, IMO, mashed potatoes, like you said, mac and cheese, carbohydrates.I thought it was whatever food made you feel all good, like when you were a kid and your mom took care of you. I guess for some, that could be candy.

For me, it's grilled cheese sandwiches. With real buttered bread. All hot & melty. Maybe with apple juice. Or if it's wintery, hot cocoa. Ohhh man.

mommie4a
04-01-2005, 05:07 PM
Homemade mac and cheese - grandmother's recipe. LOAD ON THE CARBS.

Poppy
04-01-2005, 05:12 PM
1. Mom's Chicken Pot Pie

2. Cheesecake! :D

rhymegirl
04-01-2005, 05:21 PM
Peanut butter and chocolate.
Chocolate and peanut butter.
Pretzels. Popcorn. Sun chips.
Cookies.
That's it. Now I'm hungry.
And I am not supposed to eat this stuff.

awatkins
04-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Homemade potato soup. Mmmmm.....

JoeEkaitis
04-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Leftover Popeye's spicy chicken, straight from the refrigerator. If you eat enough of it, you feel the burn. . .twice.

SRHowen
04-01-2005, 09:33 PM
add hot sauce----- http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_4_1.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm41442US)

allion
04-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Mac & cheese
Scrambled eggs
Toast well done with butter
Hot Earl Grey tea with milk
Fudgeeos
Homemade chocolate chip cookies
Popcorn with lots of butter
Grilled cheese with ketchup on the side
Chicken fried rice
Snickers chocolate bars
Diet Coke with lots of ice
Doritos

Can you tell I got anothe rejection in this week?

Karen

Elincoln
04-02-2005, 02:31 AM
Mom's homemade potato salad with slices of ham
B-B-Q Chicken and French Fries
Beef Stew and Biscuits
Corn Fritters and Bacon

But since that's the reason I'm watching what I eat and working out five times a week, when it's late and I'm craving food, I usually reach for a lemon drop candy. Takes about 20 minutes to dissolve and anything I put in my mouth afterward (short of water) will taste really gross.

-Elaine

ChunkyC
04-02-2005, 02:46 AM
Mmmm -- my wife's homemade taco beef rollups and dipping sauce. Rollups hot, sauce cold. YUM. Have I told you my wife once studied to be a chef?

Which is why I'm currently trying to lose weight. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Savannah Blue
04-02-2005, 03:12 AM
Homemade mashed potatoes...you know the kind where you peel the potatoes and cut them up and wait for them to cook. Then you add your own milk and butter and salt and pepper, maybe a little onion powder. It's a process used to get from feeling down to feeling much better. 'Course you could also add whatever else makes you feel better...sour cream, cheese, bacon bits.

mommie4a
04-02-2005, 03:39 AM
Never read a thread about comfort food when you have a stomach virus.

WhisperingBard
04-02-2005, 04:03 AM
Ooooh, mommie, not so comforting, huh?

Feel better soon!

awatkins
04-02-2005, 04:27 AM

Oh, no! Hope you feel better soon, Jill. :Hug2:

mommie4a
04-02-2005, 05:05 AM
Don't ya just love what the kids can bring home??

Ah - it's cool - my husband's been doing all the cooking and cleaning. I love it and he loves it more when he tells me to do something, and I actually do it (like - go lay down, don't do the dishes, I'll put the kids to sleep). Works for me!

Thanks for the warm fuzzies.

Maryn
04-02-2005, 06:05 PM
Remember, mommie4a, that your future holds a miraculous day you won't even recognize as special until after it's long since passed. There comes a time when you have recovered from the last illness circulating in all the schools and daycare centers in the entire world, and you don't get sick any more from stuff that's contagious. Of course, about then your body goes into open revolt and starts giving your grief without outside assistance, but still...

I hit it in the kids' mid-high-school years. I haven't had Whatever's Going Around in ages. Cool, huh?

Maryn, giving you Reason to Go On

mommie4a
04-02-2005, 06:20 PM
To experience that day, without even knowing it's passed!

Thanks, Maryn - I know you're right.

I had a lovely piece of french toast this morning so I would say I'm on my way. Now, if it would just stop SNOWING!!!:Smack:
Cheers - Jill

Melina
04-02-2005, 07:25 PM
Definitely fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy.