TV: Entrances and Introductions

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Bravo (the network, not the member) is running a "West Wing" marathon this morning, starting with the pilot. Martin Sheen's entrance as President Barlet has always been one of my favorite character entrances. For forty minutes, he's been mentioned, but not seen. Then he walks on screen, "I am the Lord your God, thou shalt have no other God before me." (it makes sense in context of the scene) It establishes a tone for the character, and the entire speech that follows sets up who this guy is.

Anyone else have a favorite moment from a TV series, where you meet a new character for a first time?

Last edited:

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Bingo Bob Russell meeting Toby and Josh, and later Bartlett, with those cowboy boots, and Hoynes hobnobbing (sp?) with a French delegation right before C.J. accuses him of leaking word of Bartlett's treatment of him earlier that morning, if I'm not mistaken. I always thought the vp position meant more than it apparently did (at least before Cheney) and was fascinated to see what I take to be something of the real dynamic between the presidency and the guy who's next in line.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, good thread. I'm sure I'll think of lots, but - top of my head:

Frank Gallagher in 'Shameless' - Fiona Gallagher's just met the love of her life, had a brilliant night out, invited him back to hers, and then her feckless mess of a Dad turns up on the doorstep, drunk, supported by two coppers, and falls unconscious on the kitchen floor.

I remember one show in the UK, where you were introduced to a young woman taking drugs in a club and generally being a mess, staggering home in the morning, getting up, going to work, changing - into her policewoman's uniform.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Technically not an introduction, but:

In Buffy the watcher Quentin telling Buffy and the Scoobies about Glory "She's not a demon, you see...she's a god" followed by Buffy's "Oh."

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Oooh, you made me think of one. The first time we see Dawn on "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer."

Very end of the Dracula episode. Buffy walks into her room, seems a strange teenage girl standing there, looking in her jewelry box.

Buffy: What are you doing in here?

Buffy's Mom: Buffy, why don't you take your sister shopping with you?

Buffy/Dawn: Mom! (turning "mom" into a three-syllable word, as only teenagers can).

Audience: Huh?

Classic.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
There's a lot of great ones on Buffy. Kendra's, for example, and Buffy's subsequent "Huh?"

Spike's return to Sunnydale in "Lover's Walk."