the 49 page rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
I was reading through my amazon reviews and I came across one very interesting comment by someone who said that instead of looking at the opening page of a book, when she's deciding whether or not to buy it, she looks at page 49. This seemed like such a great idea (all right, she gave me a good review). Does anyone else do this?

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I have never heard of any such thing. Then again, I'm kerflubbled by the page 49 thing. Does page 49 exhibit, univerally, a greater skill of writing than the other, say, 400 pages? Or, does the reader assume that by that point, a writer will have found his/her voice? Or is it completely arbritary?

Enquiring minds want to know.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
What exactly does she look for on page 49 that affects her purchasing decision?

I read the blurb, look at the cover, maybe thumb a few pages to check POV and narrative style.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
That's a very clever idea. I'm now going to look at page 49 in my favorite books to see if it holds.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I guess everyone has their own way and this happens to be hers.

I usually pick up a book based on the cover (or publisher because I've never been disappointed in a MIRA published book). Read the back...if I like it, I read the first page. If the first page grabs me, I buy it.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Lol! I wasn't being snippy! It's true. I think to buy a book at random, you'd first see it on the shelf, then you'd look at the blurb, then you'd look at the writing. It's easy for it to be inspired on page one. But what does it sound like on lonely, old, mundane forty-nine?

I think it's a good measure.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I do this every time I pick up a book at a bookstore or library that I have never before come across. BUT I've only ever heard of it as THE PAGE 40 TEST. It's always been page 40. The idea is that if you pick up a book at random and read the entire page 40 and like it, chances are you will like the book. I was skeptical of this, but after trying it years ago... I kept doing it. I have about a 95% success rate. If I like page 40, I like the rest of the book. Sometimes, if I do not like page 40 but really want to read the book anyway, I do so. And quite often I don't like the book when I do this. I am not about the not read a book because it failed my Page 40 test... but it seems to work almost every time.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
This method has the added advantage of being very similar to a movie preview. You get to see some random action from the middle. In addition to seeing if the writing style is something you like, you also get to see if the action is up your alley.

My father and I always used page 50, though. It doesn't really matter, though.

mada

Getting back in the groove
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to try this! I have a huge TBR pile, and now I'm going to test the theory. Whichever has the best page 49 will be the next book I read.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
The reviewer is wrong. It's page 51. I thought everyone knew this.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I won't even dignify that with a response. Hmph.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Actually it's not a new idea, but the actual number is arbitrary. Is it 49, 59, or 69? I usually read the first few paragraphs, then flip randomly to the middle, then somewhere in the 3/4 part of the book. If it's still interesting (or better -- if it's even more engaging as the book goes on), I'll buy.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
My book buying ritual used to be a lot like Ray's. I'd read the first paragraph or so, if I liked it, I just flip through the book, stop on some random page somewhere near the middle and read another paragraph. If I liked it, I'd buy it. If not, well, then it's back to scanning the shelves for one that will hold my attention. Now, I'm usually so pressed for time that I read the blurb, reviews if they have it, looking for key words, and then sort of scan a page if I have the time. I usually buy almost at random now and hope for the best. Someday I'll have the time I would like to browse books again, someday soon.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I tried this method on some books on my shelf and nope, it wouldn't work for me. I like to see how the author sets up the story, probably because I find opening paragraphs to be critical. If an author can't intrigue me with the first page, I doubt very much I'll be any more interested farther in. This doesn't mean there has to be some earthshattering event right off the bat but it does mean the writing must be good and like the pied piper, entice me to follow.
Linnea

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read the first paragraph, then I just open a book to a random place and read. If it hooks me, I buy it. but I've never insisted on a specific page.

y'all are weird. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.