PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Heston flick?

robeiae
04-06-2008, 02:33 PM
In honor of his passing.

My personal favorite is 55 Days at Peking, followed closely by Ben-Hur.

What's yours?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-06-2008, 03:32 PM
I really liked 'The Naked Jungle'. And 'Ben Hur'. And 'The Ten Commandments'.

Alzheimers is such a cruel disease... Poor Lydia. They were married 64 years, first marriage for both of them. May he rest in peace and may she rest easy.

Ken
04-06-2008, 04:20 PM
the only one I saw of his was Planet of the Chimps.
His acting in it was superlative. If it didn't win him an Acadamy Award it should've.
I remain in awe :-O

dpaterso
04-06-2008, 04:35 PM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u62/dpat57/el_cid.jpg (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054847/)

Charlton Heston's entry on imdb.com (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000032/)

-Derek

Serenity
04-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Man, what a thing to see when you simply get up to check your e-mail! :e2bummed:

My favorite is pretty much colored by what I used to watch with my dad: Ben Hur. I adored this film as a child and still love it today.

Also, here's (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080406/ap_on_en_mo/obit_heston) the Yahoo News story on his passing.

Perks
04-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Heston was my second love. I fell in love with Rod Serling when I was two (explains a lot, I know) and kicked him to the curb when The Very Reverend Father of Perks let me stay up to watch The Ten Commandments when I was three. No one thought a three-year-old would make it through a four hour epic, but there I was, draped over the arm of the sofa, sobbing my under-sized heart out, because Moses didn't get to enter the Promised Land.

Still, my favorite is Ben-Hur.

Calla Lily
04-06-2008, 05:49 PM
No one chewed the scenery like Heston. Although I got mightily tired of seeing his flabby, sweaty chest in way too many scenes of way too many movies.

Ben-Hur and Agony and Ecstasy are my faves if only for the brilliant co-star casting. Rex Harrison as the Pope--terrific. And practically everyone in Ben-Hur. Wow.

ChaosTitan
04-06-2008, 08:30 PM
I'll always love Planet of the Apes, but I have fond childhood memories of watching The Ten Commandments over and over and over again. I can't explain it, but something about the film and story just caught my attention. I adored Yul Brynner, as well. It's been a long time since I've seen it beginning to end.

Mom'sWrite
04-06-2008, 09:15 PM
I loved Ben Hur but thought his supporting cast was well, ew. I loved the guy beating out the strokes on the galley though. Ramming speed!

But nothing will ever beat out "Soylent Green is people." Great cast, great filmmaking, iconic dialogue.

Cranky
04-06-2008, 09:21 PM
My favorite was Soylent Green, too. Explains a lot, I guess.

LloydBrown
04-06-2008, 09:22 PM
I haven't seen all of them, but the ones I've seen were all amazing: Ben Hur, Ten Commandments, and Planet of the Apes. Omega Man was cool but not in the same category.

zahra
04-06-2008, 09:23 PM
'Planet of the Apes' for me.

But my fondest memories of his work are from the mini-series 'Once Upon a Murder' (AKA 'Chiefs', in the US).

'I believe I'll go home now', says Heston's character Hugh Holmes, leaving the scene where the cops have dug up decades of murder victims, and you just know that he's going home to die quietly by inches now, with this awful shadow forever on 'his' town's name.

'I believe I'll go home now', indeed.

donroc
04-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Soylent Green.

mscelina
04-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Charlton Heston...died?

*sniff*

I must now cast mine house into mourning. I, like Chaos, went through a spell where I watched "Ten Commandments" over and over. I still adore the movie version and don't think it could ever be remade with two actors as enigmatic as Heston and Brynnan. Interestingly enough, a few weeks ago I watched it beginning to end after missing it for about a decade.

Heston. Another giant gone.

ChunkyC
04-06-2008, 10:01 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with Heston. I never liked his politics, especially how he handled himself as a leader of the NRA. He actually came up to Canada once to try to influence our gun laws. Sorry, Charlton, but you and the NRA had no business coming to our country to try to interfere with our lawmakers.

But I've always endeavoured to separate Heston the man from Heston the actor. His movies are like touchstones in my life. For each one, I can remember when I first saw it and how it impacted me. I have Ben Hur and The Ten Commandments in my collection. Planet of the Apes has to be one of the most talked about science fiction films of all time. But oddly enough, I have yet to pick up a copy of my favourite film of his, Soylent Green. Now might be the time.

Charlton, despite my disagreements with some of the things you stood for, I've always admired your work. I hope you are resting easy, and I wish your family all the best at this time.

Perks
04-06-2008, 10:06 PM
My mother reminded me today that I was profoundly affected by my Ten Commandments trauma. I went around dressed in a sheet, carrying a yardstick and trying to part the bathwater for quite a few days afterwards. I got angry when my parents wouldn't call me Moses.

Charleton Heston, then, had a great deal to do with what's wrong with me. I now name him, Catalyst.

brokenfingers
04-06-2008, 10:09 PM
I haven't seen a Charlton Heston movie since I was a kid. They were like a staple of every kid's Saturday fare.

My favorite would probably be The Ten Commandments followed by Planet of the Apes and Omega Man.

Serenity
04-06-2008, 10:37 PM
Ack, Midway too. How could I forget Midway? I watched so many WWII movies with my dad, and this one had great music to boot.

DWSTXS
04-06-2008, 11:49 PM
"get your stinkin paws off me you damned dirty ape!"

Maybe one of THE best single lines in any movie, ever.

DWSTXS
04-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Heston was my second love. I fell in love with Rod Serling when I was two (explains a lot, I know) and kicked him to the curb when The Very Reverend Father of Perks let me stay up to watch The Ten Commandments when I was three. No one thought a three-year-old would make it through a four hour epic, but there I was, draped over the arm of the sofa, sobbing my under-sized heart out, because Moses didn't get to enter the Promised Land.

Still, my favorite is Ben-Hur.

Rod Serling was an incredible character. Smoked 7 (yes, SEVEN) packs of cigs per day. Sometimes he had two or even three cigarettes going at the same time. Smoked so much his fingers turned YELLOW and he got nictotine poisoning from the cigarettes.

When he had a heart attack and they were doing open-heart surgery on him, they took a vein from his leg to put into his heart, and the vein simply fell apart (from the decay and effects of nicotine) before they could put it into his chest. And of course, he wrote the Twilight Zones and the screenplay to PLanet of the Apes. During the Twilight Zone and Planet of thje Apes years, he was the most sought after screenwriter in the world.

Sarita
04-07-2008, 12:04 AM
I have a love/hate relationship with Heston. I never liked his politics, especially how he handled himself as a leader of the NRA. He actually came up to Canada once to try to influence our gun laws. Sorry, Charlton, but you and the NRA had no business coming to our country to try to interfere with our lawmakers.

But I've always endeavoured to separate Heston the man from Heston the actor. His movies are like touchstones in my life. For each one, I can remember when I first saw it and how it impacted me. I have Ben Hur and The Ten Commandments in my collection. Planet of the Apes has to be one of the most talked about science fiction films of all time. But oddly enough, I have yet to pick up a copy of my favourite film of his, Soylent Green. Now might be the time.

Charlton, despite my disagreements with some of the things you stood for, I've always admired your work. I hope you are resting easy, and I wish your family all the best at this time.
I'm quoting so I don't have to type it out for myself.

I loved Ben Hur, we watched it all the time in my house. We had one of those deep freezers and I'd sit on top of it like it was a chariot. Soylent Green was so memorable and shocking the first time I saw it. Heston was so expressive and real in his roles.

Sleep well, Mr. Heston. Sleep well.

StephanieFox
04-07-2008, 12:24 AM
I like the 10 Commandments, partly because of the kitsch factor. Also, it's the story of the Jews, with only ONE (count 'em ONE) Jewish actor in a major or secondary role and that's the bad guy Hebrew. I love some of the lines "So let it be written. So let it be done" which is so much better than Picard's version. I love the special effects, too.

JoNightshade
04-07-2008, 12:44 AM
Overall, I think Soylent Green is my favorite just because... well, it's awesome.

But I think my favorite moment in any of his movies is in Ben Hur, when Jesus gives him a cup of water. Hands down, that scene is the most brilliant representation of Christ I've ever seen on film. Youtube link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9YWPV1drK4)for anyone who doesn't remember. Gives me the chills every time. :)

robeiae
04-07-2008, 12:49 AM
Heston is my favorite actor, btw. And he also has the best comedic cameo of all time, imo:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2516491478075121572&q=wayne%27s+world+2&total=188&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

BradyH1861
04-07-2008, 01:10 AM
Definitely Planet of the Apes. In fact, I watched it on TV the other night.

NikeeGoddess
04-07-2008, 09:35 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with Heston. I never liked his politics, especially how he handled himself as a leader of the NRA. He actually came up to Canada once to try to influence our gun laws. Sorry, Charlton, but you and the NRA had no business coming to our country to try to interfere with our lawmakers.i hear ya!

i would have chosen Solyent Green but since there was this "other" selection i chose Bowling for Columbine.

WriteKnight
04-07-2008, 09:59 PM
His FIRST Autobiography is a terrific read. Essentially he kept a diary throughout his acting carreer. So he went back, and pulled out interesting entries from various moments in his life - different films, family moments. He printed the entry as it was, then he made a comment about the entry. Interestingly enough, he would say things like "I was completely mistaken about this director or that actor, now I think they are great/terrible." He talks a lot about his politics.

As a human being, his journey from fairly liberal to strictly conservative is an interesting one. If you buy his SECOND autobiography - which came out after he turned conservative - it's a different read altogether.

Hands down, my favorite film is "WarLords" - a great medieval 'small' film that he financed himself. He's a warlord, who is not very likeable. Obscure film, hard to find. After that one, probably Will Penny then Ben Hur.

DWSTXS
04-07-2008, 10:21 PM
I just noticed that the Onion, in regards to the death of Charlton Heston, has posted the headline:

Charlton Heston's Gun Taken From His Cold, Dead Hands

C.bronco
04-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Planet of the Apes was probably one of the best works of science fiction ever.

Sarpedon
04-07-2008, 10:47 PM
You know, I really liked him 55 days in Peking. That was an extraordinary movie, in many ways. Considering the period, it was remarkably un-racist. Dealt with the issues underlying the conflict rather than engaging in charicature. I'm not sure how much of that was Heston's doing, though.

I still voted for Ben Hur though. But only because it contains the best action sequence in any movie ever.

ChunkyC
04-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Planet of the Apes was probably one of the best works of science fiction ever.
It's a shame the sequels were so weak, it's hard for the original to stand on its own. I also really dug the small role Heston had in the remake, it was great he was included.

ChunkyC
04-07-2008, 10:58 PM
I still voted for Ben Hur though. But only because it contains the best action sequence in any movie ever.
James Bond can thank his lucky stars that Q saw Ben Hur, otherwise the Aston Martin might have been missing one of its coolest gadgets.

donroc
04-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Heston portrayed Andrew Jackson well in THE PRESIDENT'S LADY and again in a turkey about the Battle of new Orleans, the title of which escapes me.

The current crop of leading boys do not measure up to Heston and other giants of that era.

dpaterso
04-07-2008, 11:13 PM
Hands down, my favorite film is "WarLords" - a great medieval 'small' film that he financed himself. He's a warlord, who is not very likeable. Obscure film, hard to find. After that one, probably Will Penny then Ben Hur.
The War Lord (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059896/) is in my top 10 favorite action flicks, it's right up there with The Vikings, original 300 Spartans, The Long Ships, etc.

-Derek

dpaterso
04-08-2008, 04:32 PM
I was thinking more about Charlton Heston last night as I looked through old tapes... even tho' I rate El Cid (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054847/) as possibly his best film, I think one of his best roles -- technically a supporting one -- was in The Big Country (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051411/). Then again, everyone excelled themselves in that movie, another of my top 10 all-time favorites.

Carry on!

-Derek

Bourgeois Nerd
05-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Planet of the Apes.

My mother-in-law went to high school with him. She said he was boring. But then she'll talk to any loony in the local coffee shop so what does she know.