PDA

View Full Version : Travel thread - chat

JacobWorld
04-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Post here anything about travel. I am a big fan . I love it and I love giving tips and writing about travel .
What about you?

aruna
04-06-2008, 01:01 PM
I love travel too. Life is just too short, by bank balance too small, to go all the places I;d like to. I don't like being a tourist, though. For me it has to be total immersion.

Joycecwilliams
04-06-2008, 05:40 PM
I love travel too. Life is just too short, by bank balance too small, to go all the places I;d like to. I don't like being a tourist, though. For me it has to be total immersion.

Travel doesn't have to be expensive. I am the Queen of cheap.

1 week cabin rental at Cordoris State Park in PA = $200.00
4 nights in Atlantic city with 2 adults+2 kids = $240.00

Those are the lodging prices. Of course food is extra. However we take breakfast stuff with us and then eat at reasonable restaraunts (not fast food places).

I love traveling... am planing a trip to the Jersey Shore... right now..

maestrowork
04-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Sometimes I stay at youth hostels, even though I'm not a youth anymore. They're cheap, mostly safe, and you get to meet a lot of interesting young people. Besides, when I travel I want to be out and see things -- it's just a place to sleep and take a shower.

My ideal trip also isn't about sightseeing. I like to just walk around, have a leisurely lunch, sip coffee, listen to conversations, etc. just to experience "normal life" at the destination. That's the way I like to travel, and not trying to have an itinerary to see all the tourist attractions in 3 days.

aruna
04-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Travel doesn't have to be expensive. I am the Queen of cheap.

I've done that. I spent my youth hitching around South America on a shoestring, sleeping for nothing wherever I could. Then overland to India from South America, via Europe. I've slept in hammocks, fire-engines, rowing boats moored in a marina, on the bare earth. I've lived on nothing!
But, that was then. At 57, I like a real bed!
Also, no more hitchhiking! I'd like to go to Bali, Australia, Burma, Chile; and a hundred other countries, and the only way is plane or ship.

Maryn
04-06-2008, 06:20 PM
I've long envied a relative of ours, who teamed up with five trusted friends. Whoever's available travels to an agreed-upon destination (often as part of a business trip) and rents a two-bedroom furnished apartment in the city, signing a one-year lease and arranging for transfer of utilities. Costs, including deposits, are split evenly.

Then each of the six members of the group lives there for two months, bringing along whoever they like, and leaving the place clean, in good repair, and stocked with food and drink enough for a few days. So far they've lived in London, Paris, and someplace in South America which I'm blanking on. Doesn't that sound cool?

Maryn, whose travel is mostly limited to the US and by car

TrainofThought
04-06-2008, 08:31 PM
I love traveling. Iíve been to many states in the U.S., to France and Italy (Paris, Rome, Florence and Venice) and England. Iím considering a drive to Canada this summer and a road trip east around Sept. or Oct. Wish me luck on the last one since geography and my sense of direction fail me. :D

JLCwrites
04-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Traveling is loads of fun!

Our trips usually involve outdoorsy stuff like kayaking, hiking, biking, snowboarding, snorkeling, and just enjoying what the locals enjoy. Cruising is also great and relaxing! You probably wont find me in a museum.

I can't wait for the kids to be old enough to explore different countries. But for now, our traveling adventures involve local road trips. :)

Joycecwilliams
04-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Sometimes I stay at youth hostels, even though I'm not a youth anymore. They're cheap, mostly safe, and you get to meet a lot of interesting young people. Besides, when I travel I want to be out and see things -- it's just a place to sleep and take a shower.

My ideal trip also isn't about sightseeing. I like to just walk around, have a leisurely lunch, sip coffee, listen to conversations, etc. just to experience "normal life" at the destination. That's the way I like to travel, and not trying to have an itinerary to see all the tourist attractions in 3 days.

Me too... When I went to Italy we stayed in Sienna and no one there spoke English. We would eat at a restaraunt where they had community seating. It was such a good time. The people we sat with couldn't speak English and we couldn't speak Italian.. however we still managed to converse.

Joycecwilliams
04-06-2008, 09:02 PM
I love traveling. I’ve been to many states in the U.S., to France and Italy (Paris, Rome, Florence and Venice) and England. I’m considering a drive to Canada this summer and a road trip east around Sept. or Oct. Wish me luck on the last one since geography and my sense of direction fail me. :D

Get a GPS system.. they are wonderful.

nancy sv
04-06-2008, 10:20 PM
I've done that. I spent my youth hitching around South America on a shoestring, sleeping for nothing wherever I could. Then overland to India from South America, via Europe. I've slept in hammocks, fire-engines, rowing boats moored in a marina, on the bare earth. I've lived on nothing!
But, that was then. At 57, I like a real bed!
Also, no more hitchhiking! I'd like to go to Bali, Australia, Burma, Chile; and a hundred other countries, and the only way is plane or ship.

That sounds just like me!! The only difference is that, at 47, I'm still OK with sleeping in a tent! And we are taking off once again - biking the length of the Americas!!! Can't wait!

TrainofThought
04-07-2008, 01:02 AM
Get a GPS system.. they are wonderful.I was thinking about that today. Where do you get one?

bluntforcetrauma
04-07-2008, 01:04 AM
I don't travel as much as I used to. I've settled down quite a bit from my wandering days.

auntybug
04-07-2008, 01:07 AM
Hubby, daughter & I are big drivers. We went to Fl once for a wedding (from MN) & stopped at Philly cause it was "on the way". I grew up on an island, (Maui) and after 14 years of being a "mainlander" I still dig this drive anywhere stuff. There are only a few northeast states we haven't been to yet. I'd love to do Europe someday...
Nice thread...thanks!