• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

A how to write that guaruntees publications. Learn the secrets of J.K Rowling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There was an AD on the internet, that's all: Write your Novel in 30 days. What did J.K Rowling do to get her way to a billion dollars(I'm going to wring her neck and rob her.) How to write a garunteed bestselling book. How Stephen King did it.

What do you think about the Ads? If J.K Rowling was really willing to give writers her secret. I want to read about it. I don't want money, I want readers and fans.

I have been here a long time. And if I weren't here, I wouldn't have this strange feeling that this could be a scam.

What do you guys think?

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think. I know. Scam.

Stay away.

Please.

There are no short cuts.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
There's no such thing as a guarantee in this business. I'm with Haggis--it's a scam, a big scam, and if you even get a copy of anything after you empty out your bank account, it will under no account have been written by JK Rowling. Trust me. She doesn't have to give her secrets away, she doesn't WANT to give her secrets away.

Just go back to work, Blue.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
it will under no account have been written by JK Rowling. Trust me. She doesn't have to give her secrets away, she doesn't WANT to give her secrets away.

Hey, I'll give you J. K. Rowling and Stephen King's secret for NOTHING! They are both born storytellers, blessed with the mysterious gift of profluence, aka, the ability to make readers turn the pages.

I'm not at all sure this secret can be learned. I'm sure it can't be bought.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
There was an AD on the internet, that's all: Write your Novel in 30 days. What did J.K Rowling do to get her way to a billion dollars(I'm going to wring her neck and rob her.) How to write a garunteed bestselling book. How Stephen King did it.

Oh, PLEASE. Obviously a SCAM.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
It's a scam, Blue. Listen to all the above posters. There is no "secret." There's just not.

Also, please watch threatening individuals. Even if they are in the public domain, do not threaten them. Criticize their writing, their business practices, etc., but do not threaten their persons. You never know who might be reading or participating in these forums.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Satisfaction, self-respect, maybe. Neck-wringing can be very satisfying :D

Always assume that any loud, colorful, flashy Internet Ad is EVIL. Assume that 90% of all Sponsored Links are EVIL. Assume that any site that pays for top search results is only out to get your money, not to help you. Surf safely :D

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to know their secrets, why not read the books bestsellers have written about writing? Rowling hasn't written one yet, but don't worry, she will. King's written three.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
There are some people who think that there's some kind of magic solution writers like J.K. Rowling have that turned them into a best seller--the "silver bullet" (that's a term from marketeers referring to a solution that instantly solves a problem or creates instant success. Instead, people go broke trying to find the silver bullet). They think if they do A, B, and C, the magic of best sellerdom will happen.

Which is where the scam artists come in and take advantage of people. They offer promises that make it sound like if the person follows their system, that magic will happen and the person will be successful. The problem is they can't promise that. Agents and publishers don't know what book is going to be a best seller (otherwise they would all be best sellers); neither do the writers themselves. So how would someone promising "J.K. Rowlings' secrets" know? By the way, from what I understand, she had trouble selling the first book, and it took about three books before it picked up enough steam to hit the best seller list.

You need to learn everything about the industry so that you don't get taken in by false promises. Start with the Writer Beware Web site. Read everything there, bookmark it, and anytime you run into something you're not sure of, go back and reread the section on the subject. They also have a blog, which also should be required regular reading.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

What do you think about the Ads? If J.K Rowling was really willing to give writers her secret. I want to read about it. I don't want money, I want readers and fans.

I have been here a long time. And if I weren't here, I wouldn't have this strange feeling that this could be a scam.

What do you guys think?
The thing you have to remember about JK Rowling is that she did not write her book because it "was a guaranteed best seller." When she wrote it, she had no guarantee it would sell, and by all reports, she struggled to sell it for quite a while.

She didn't have a "secret." She had an interesting story to tell, the perseverance to get it written, the patience to edit it, the gumption and guts to query agents, and the luck to find one who thought it would sell.

For your future reference, any ad that offers to let you in on some big "secret" for wealth, fame or glory is a scam.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
There are no guarantees. Spelling guarantee probably would, however, be a starting point.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just curious, Blue. What were you hoping to take from her, if you don't want money?

The neck-wringing was a joke. I just wanted to be noticed. Have videogames and movies based on my books. Kids discussing it with their classmates. Have college nerds roleplay my book in their dorms like they did with Harry Potter, Star Wars and the Lord of the Rings. I heard from other authors that they have a better chance at winning the lottery than publication.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
The neck-wringing was a joke.

It's usually a good idea not to joke about killing people. Just FYI.

I just wanted to be noticed. Have videogames and movies based on my books. Kids discussing it with their classmates. Have college nerds roleplay my book in their dorms like they did with Harry Potter, Star Wars and the Lord of the Rings.

When you want to write more than you want to be famous and noticed and admired, you'll be off to a good start.

I heard from other authors that they have a better chance at winning the lottery than publication.

That depends on the author.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You need to learn everything about the industry so that you don't get taken in by false promises. Start with the Writer Beware Web site. Read everything there, bookmark it, and anytime you run into something you're not sure of, go back and reread the section on the subject. They also have a blog, which also should be required regular reading.

I wondered what those "fraud" agents and publishers do. Do they plagarize your work and steal your money? What the differences between them and the real publishers.

Status
Not open for further replies.