Yearblook - competition for best blog post, winners published in book

Blooksllc

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.yearblook.com
Hi all,

Forgive me if this isn't the correct place to announce this.

Yearblook is in the process of creating a book of the year's best blog posts. The etymology of Yearblook is (blog + book = blook; blook + year = yearblook).

If you're interested, you can find out more at www.yearblook.com/faq-en.php.

The site is currently in public alpha testing, and has been open to the public for less than a week. We would love any feedback you can provide.

Hope you'll join us.
Ted

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Ted,

Welcome to the Blogging forum here on AW. I hope that you will come visit again. We have a forum for announcements and events elsewhere, but I think I'm going to leave this here, since it's specifically for blogging, but I do have a question I hope you'll answer before I make my final decision.

After your site has determined the best blog posts of the year and publishes the Yearblook will you be giving the writers of those blogs author's copies and paying royalties to them?

Blooksllc

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.yearblook.com
@ Dawno - The writers will be remunerated for their work (either royalties or lump sum of some sort) and either provided a free or an at cost copy of the book. My hope is to provide free copies to every included author, but it is too early to make that promise. This isn't a "hey, we like your poem, buy a $50 book to show everyone that you've been published" sort of deal.

@ LM Ashton - Links/Posts on the site do not require consent of the author. These are the same as a snippet in a search engine or digg. Anyone can post a link with a description or summary of the material and there is no transfer of copyright or licensing in the action of posting. Where the book is concerned, yes, absolutely, inclusion requires the authors consent. Once the best posts of the year are selected, we will contact the authors to verify their desire to be included in the book.

I hope that clears up any questions. Please let me know if you have others.

Last edited:

Blooksllc

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.yearblook.com
Default plan is that we will be the publisher and use an on-demand model. I set up the publishing operation for livetravelguides (later renamed vivatravelguides), so i've been down that road before.

The viability of the book depends primarily on how the concept is received in the blogging community (after one week, it seems to be positive) and secondarily on how much demand there is in book stores. We can test and then adjust our publishing model to physical demand, but if it isn't well received by bloggers there is no book to sell.

That's a long way of saying, we've got a plan to get it printed and into amazon, there may be a better way to publish, but right now we're focused on the proof of concept.

Last edited:

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
@ Dawno - The writers will be remunerated for their work (either royalties or lump sum of some sort) and either provided a free or an at cost copy of the book. My hope is to provide free copies to every included author, but it is too early to make that promise. This isn't a "hey, we like your poem, buy a $50 book to show everyone that you've been published" sort of deal.

Thank you - you correctly surmised that I was wary of a Poetry.com type of deal for bloggers. I appreciate you coming back to address the concern.

Good luck with your endeavor!