• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Chapters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puck

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zeldauniverse.net
Recently an idea for a novel has been running through Puck's head, again and again. However before he starts writing he has a little problem with the formatting, it seems as though Puck's idea would work better without putting it in chapters. The question Puck does pose is simple.

Are Chapters needed, or can they be disregarded pending on the circumstance?

Puck

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zeldauniverse.net
Oh sorry about speaking in third person, I do it without thinking most times. I'm a naturally shy person and when I speak in third person I am able to be myself more because to me it feels less personal, ya know?

A single paragraph? Seriously? Well I guess if that works then no chapters should not matter at all. Thanks.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I've definitely read books that had no chapter breaks, Puck. Do what's right for the book :)

Moved to Basic Writing Questions.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I split my books into chapters on the location of the action. So one chapter can be quite short and another long but I prefer the natural division of the story. But if there's no need for chapters, don't use them.

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
"SPEAK" by Laurie Halse Anderson is a good example of a great book with no chapters.

:D

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You can write chapters if you want :). It's not a requirement for writing a book, but they are helpful or organizing yourself.

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
As a reader, I appreciate resting places in the book. They're good for putting the book down to sleep, so as a writer, I try to have something exciting going on when I insert a break in order to entice the reader back. But they're also good for allowing me as a reader to consolidate what I just read, to see the shape of that scene and where it's taken me. Breaks can be chapters or just space on the page indicating a scene break. I'd read something without breaks if I liked it a lot, but I'd miss them.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
My WIP doesn't have chapters. But once I'm done I'm going to break it up into chapters. Most books have chapters. Most people want to read books with chapters. Of course, you can submit a manuscript with no chapters at all -- but some agents may balk at that. A book that is "different" like that has to be brilliant, I think...

p.s. and why talking in 3rd person and thinking of writing a book without chapters? If you're trying to be cute, sophisticated, etc. you may end up just sounding pretentious. Beware.

C.M.C.

Archetype
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I would say that unless the book is essentially a single, unbroken narrative, dividing the major scenes into chapters is helpful for the reader.

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
The chapterless book I read most recently was Gilead, by Marilynne Robinson. It's an absolutely beautiful book -- stunning prose, heartbreaking story -- and it won the Pulitzer Prize. It's one unbroken narrative: an aging preacher's letter to his young child.

However, it certainly wasn't an easy read. Every time I stopped and started reading, it took a while to find my place and readjust myself to the narrative. I found myself rereading much of what I'd already read, and it probably took me over a month to finish (though I was reading some other books at the time). I'm glad I read it, but it'll probably be a while before I tackle another chapterless book. I think the writer generally needs to throw a couple readability bones to the reader (and I say this as someone who always enjoys a literary challenge). Even Ulysses has clear chapter breaks.

"SPEAK" by Laurie Halse Anderson is a good example of a great book with no chapters.

One of my favorite books!

However, it does have clear breaks in the narrative, marked by the school quarters and the main character's report cards. Though they're not marked and numbered as chapters, they're still divisions in the narrative that function the way chapters do.

Antony B

Born to lurk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.antonybennison.com
The majority of Terry Pratchett's books don't have chapters. Wikipedia quotes an interview with him where he says that "life doesn't happen in regular chapters, nor do movies, and Homer did not write in chapters", adding "I'm blessed if I know what function they serve in books for adults."

A critic of one of his earlier books did say "A complete amateur ... doesn't even write in chapters ... hasn't a clue" but now Pratchett has sold over 55 million books worldwide.

So, if you don't want chapters, don't use chapters.

Puck

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zeldauniverse.net
Hmmm, I thank you all for your opinions. I shall take each of them into consideration while I make my decision, chances are I will end up writing the book chapterless and decide if I will keep it that way when I have finished. Thank you all again.

p.s. and why talking in 3rd person and thinking of writing a book without chapters? If you're trying to be cute, sophisticated, etc. you may end up just sounding pretentious. Beware.

I explained talking in third person already, but I guess I will again. I am a very shy, self-critical, self-concious person. Speaking in third person helps me open up more because to me it feels it feels less personal. Odd as it is, it is in no way an attempt to sound cute, or sophisticated, sorry if it sounded that way.

The chapterless book is because of the idea in itself, the plan I have in my head would look very awkward if it was split into chapters. That is all.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score

Puck always does that. Lol ,and so does Blue. :)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
However, it certainly wasn't an easy read. Every time I stopped and started reading, it took a while to find my place and readjust myself to the narrative. I found myself rereading much of what I'd already read, and it probably took me over a month to finish...

The question is: would the book be better if it were actually broken up in chapters (given the same quality of writing and the same story)? What do you think? Do you think the chapterless approach hindered or enhanced it?

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
A critic of one of his earlier books did say "A complete amateur ... doesn't even write in chapters ... hasn't a clue" but now Pratchett has sold over 55 million books worldwide.

Isn't that quote in the back of some of his books alongside all the good ones? Nice way of thumbing his nose at that critic. :D

But, yeah, I reckon that Pratchett would cheerfully tell you from the top of his enormous mound of money that no chapters is just fine. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.