William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
a semi-scathing indictment of some short fiction writers' propensity for copious pop-culture references...

All through college I loved writing short stories. But because I am a cad, when I found out how unprofitable the medium was I switched to blogging and TV scripts. Turns out there's still one way to market a short story: Pack it with references. Not thought-out T.S. Eliot ones, but marginal-pop-culture ones. Your story doesn't have to be good if it's about Vampire Weekend, the Tipping Point and Twitter.

I first noticed this trick last month in a terrible short story in the New Yorker, "Raj, Bohemian." Gripped by recognizable, almost-trendy concepts (the protagonist watches pre-release bootleg movies, gets to hot clubs before "a single mention on a blog" fills it with guys in stripeys, and the whole story revolves around his offense at being targeted by stealth marketers as an "early adopter") I read the whole thing, even as the style devolved into undergrad tripe that, without all the forced relevance, could never have made it into the New Yorker.

Today I saw the same trick in a story promoted on Boing Boing. Hyperbolic sci-fi author Cory Doctorow said the piece ("Mallory" by Leonard Richardson) "reads like the first three paragraphs of Snow Crash, but extended, remixed, and oh, so sweetly." I know, that blurb should have driven me away, but my editor Nick Denton is a fan of cyberpunk so I checked whether it was good enough for Gawker.

It's bad enough for Gawker. I see why Doctorow loved it: while the style was even more cloying than his (which admittedly can be said of all of cyberpunk and its descendant genres), it uses literally ten times the insider references that the Internet's in crowd loves to read. Richardson phrase-drops "NSA data miners," "glitch metal," the habit of pretending to read a friend's blog, and Katamari Damacy all in the first scene. He also writes some of the worst sentences I've seen since freshman year: "Vijay was neither ready nor un-." "He dropped the fake cell phone like a piece of bread he'd just discovered was moldy." "'Stop being such a drama queen,' said Keith. 'It makes us actual queens look bad.'"

http://gawker.com/375368/the-diablo-cody-effect-why-every-story-opens-with-a-pile-of-references

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I see. Well, now it's official. I will never have any success in writing. I know most of the words in that article, but the order in which they are arranged leaves a strange whistling sound in my ears.

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the article. Trendiness can definitely hide bad writing.

But why is he blaming Diablo Cody for this? She's only been on the scene for a few months. This kind of thing goes back way further that her.

Quentin Tarentino anyone? How about Douglas Coupland? Bret Easton Ellis?

Honestly, the blogger seems to have fallen into the same trap as the short story writers he is criticizing. He picked the most recent, trendiest screenwriter to blame rather than digging deeper into the issue.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I see. Well, now it's official. I will never have any success in writing. I know most of the words in that article, but the order in which they are arranged leaves a strange whistling sound in my ears.

I agree. Only, I call it, 'chock-full of douche-bagginess'

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I agree. Only, I call it, 'chock-full of douche-bagginess'
Don't misunderstand me, the article might be brilliant. It's only that he's complaining about references that I wouldn't understand either in a story or his rant.

It shows me up for outrageously out of touch, because I have no idea what he just said.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
It's only that he's complaining about references that I wouldn't understand either in a story or his rant.

It shows me up for outrageously out of touch, because I have no idea what he just said.

You're not alone. I was beginning to wonder if it was another language or something.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Wait -- are you older or younger than me? I need to know if it's an age thing. Except that won't hold. Haskins is my age and he got it. Nevermind. Sigh.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Depends, how old are you?

Could be an age thing, could be that I'm a brit.

edit: OK, I'm a couple of years younger than Haskins. I know what a blog is, and I vaguely recall that bootleg films are knock off jobs,but WTF is glitch metal?

Last edited:

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
One thing the cyberpunks did was write about bizarre and strange worlds that seemed alien but were actually on the cutting edge.

You could read these pop-culture-heavy stories in the same way. The writers are, after all, describing things that are really out there. Since they're really out there, that makes them fair game as far as I'm concerned.

Yet there does come a time when writers seem to be stretching to include the new and the hip, perhaps to show that they themselves are hip. It's a transparent form of writing that has more to do with tone than anything else. I didn't mind the "I swear to blog!" line in Juno because the tone of the movie fit perfectly. She seemed like a character who would use just such a line.

Like anything else, if the writing is good then I don't mind. If the writing is poor, then no pop-culture reference in the world is going to save it.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
It always feels like McWriting to me.

Enjoyed the article, glad someone's carping about it.

Will Lavender

Registered
Reaction score
Me too. Studied hipness can never be hip, because it's studied.

Course we're assuming (devil's advocating here) that these writers are indeed studying. Maybe they're really hip.

I remember a buzz about a story a few years back. The story had the word "Dreamcast" in it. People were confused. The author said, "Well, my son has a Dreamcast video game system." People were still confused. My feeling is (and I know this is a bit different than what the OP is talking about), if there's an object in the world that has a name, and if the story is at least tangentially about the object, then call it what it is. Name-dropping isn't name-dropping if what you're seeking is realism.

Neither here nor there, but I usually stay away from this kind of stuff in my own writing. My agent made me put cell phones into my novel.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
My agent made me put cell phones into my novel.
Goddamn ubiquitous cell phones are the bane of a mystery writer. You have to constantly invent reasons why characters are taken by surprise by some piece of news, some reason why "a" didn't immediately call "b" to give a warning instead of rushing over.

"I tried to call but she must have been out walking the dog" no longer suffices.

Will Lavender

Registered
Reaction score
Goddamn ubiquitous cell phones are the bane of a mystery writer. You have to constantly invent reasons why characters are taken by surprise by some piece of news, some reason why "a" didn't immediately call "b" to give a warning instead of rushing over.

"I tried to call but she must have been out walking the dog" no longer suffices.

You're telling me.

In the amateur sleuth subgenre, the "Why didn't he just use his cell phone?" line is about as maddening as the ol' "Why didn't he just go to the cops?" Because the sonuvabitch would've ended on page 42 is why.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com

I'll never have success in writing because I liked the moldy bread simile.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
you can have a sleuth that doesn't believe in cell phones or they got one because they were told they need one so they got one of those super cheap ones that hardly ever work and have zero range. You know where you look at the map of the states and it's mostly white instead of mostly red because it doesn't get service there.

Status
Not open for further replies.