• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Synopsis and Outline...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeWix

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and am just thrilled to find another source of experience and info.

I have a completed novel manuscript, and a TV pilot script, both of which I'm about to begin shopping.

I know this sounds pretty basic, but I don't know the answer. I've seen several websites that assist aspiring writers. Many suggest having either or both a synopsis and/or outline ready. For fiction, is an outline actually necessary, or is it more of a non-fiction tool?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I've not used an agent so I don't know about that area. With publishers, though, you have to look at their websites to see what they want you to send them. You have to do exactly what they say to have any chance of you full MS being requested. Often the publisher will want a synopsis of the work, a few chapters and an author's resume.

How you write these things is literally a matter of life or death to your work in the world of publishing. If you don't prove you can write and exctie here, they're not going to ask for your full manuscript - ie., RIP.

So look at websites and get an idea of what you're going to need to write. Follow threads here for advice and the very best of luck.

And welcome to AW.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
First of all, congrats on finishing your novel and script! It's a bit difficult to tell what you're asking for here. Many use the terms synopsis and outline interchangeably. I suspect what you're describing is an overall synopsis of a few paragraphs or even a page or two as opposed to a chapter-by-chapter description or outline. You'll likely be asked for both of them at one time or another so it's probably wise to have both available. Follow agent/publisher guidelines exactly and just give them what they ask for. Good luck to you!
Linnea

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Personally I only have a synopsis and it worked out for me. No one ever asked me for an "outline" (chapter by chapter). But some may suggest you have a chapter-by-chapter as well. It won't hurt, but in my experience, it's not necessary.

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Many agents ask for a synopsis, a summary of your book in 1000 words or less. They read a few pages of your manuscript to see if you can write, and they read the synopsis to see if there's a full, interesting story. Synopses are tough to write because you have to condense the entire book and still make it sound appealing. There's advice at various places on the site about writing synopses. Take a look, give it a try, and submit your draft to Share Your Work.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Welcome to the board.

Take a peek at the Query Letter Critique forum in our Share Your Work area (password = vista) which might give some extra insight. Most query letters consist of a mini-synopsis, and may be accompanied by a longer 2- or 3-page outline (or whatever length is requested). Many of the publishers' guidelines I've read request first 3 chapters plus a set-length synopsis.

You can ask about TV pilots in our Script Writing discussion forum if you haven't already got enough info, but from what's being said previously I get the impression that getting anyone to look at a pilot (unless you have an industry contact) may be near-impossible, and that contests may be the best route.

-Derek

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Personally I only have a synopsis and it worked out for me. No one ever asked me for an "outline" (chapter by chapter). But some may suggest you have a chapter-by-chapter as well. It won't hurt, but in my experience, it's not necessary.
Generally, I only needed the synopsis but when the full manuscript was requested, I was also asked for the chapter-by-chapter outline. Lucky you to only need the synopsis!
Linnea

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Generally, I only needed the synopsis but when the full manuscript was requested, I was also asked for the chapter-by-chapter outline. Lucky you to only need the synopsis!
Linnea

On the contrary, when I was requested to send the full, no synopsis or outline was required. I mean, what's the point if they're going to read the whole thing already -- there's no need for an outline (since they already have read the synopsis before requesting the full).

privatepook

Yes, I'm totally into that..
Registered
Reaction score
How long is too long for an outline? I ask because I have a one page synopsis, but I've had a partial request and they want an outline included. I have a long chapter by chapter synopsis that comes in at seven pages, and I'm wondering if that is what they mean when they say "outline."

HorsebackWriter

Dream at a gallop!
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to thank everyone *tons* for this thread! I plan to go check out the query letter critique thread, too. I haven't yet written a synopsis (who knew, : P) and I'm still stuck on hammering out a better query letter.

I'm just very grateful for these threads.

For me, my finished novel and novel/writing issues are not the problem, it's my query; after reading here, now I know it isn't up to industry snuff. So, I've stopped sending out queries for now, (I have 5 pending and 3 form rejections), and hereby vow to start query letter take 4.

Advice for people new at this like me: don't start out querying your dream agents/top picks, like I did. You quite possibly will find (as I did) that your first query letter may be lacking, and then you end up blowing it (like I did) with the agencies you really wanted to represent you.

Em

HorsebackWriter

Dream at a gallop!
Registered
Reaction score
Do you get a second chance? You mean the next book?

First I have to make it through throwing my first "baby" into all the agents' arms in the country.

I wish I could unsubmit the query letter out there and have a do-over. It's not that it's written badly; it's more not the form standard. I see now that my mini-synopsis is more like an ultra-mini -- maybe even a thong, lol.

Em

You mean you never get a second chance to send them a book?

Status
Not open for further replies.