PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to go into the water?

Little Red Barn
04-04-2008, 04:39 PM
My basement is flooded this morn. There is electricity down there, but I don't know if the hockey table or lamp is plugged in. The sump pump is stuck, I feel. Hubby is soo busy at work, so I want to try and fix this mess before he gets home. If I wear rubber boots into the water will that make me safe against any electric currents? I can not sit here with that mess and not try to clean it up for him.
thanks

William Haskins
04-04-2008, 04:45 PM
absolutely do not go into a flooded basement if there are live wires. you could bump into something and even a small amount of water on other parts of your body could conduct it.

C.bronco
04-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Don't go in! Call a contractor! We don't want anyone dipping you in butter.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-04-2008, 04:47 PM
I can't improve on William's advice... but just to make it clear: NO. It is NOT safe.

kct webber
04-04-2008, 04:56 PM
I can't improve on William's advice... but just to make it clear: NO. It is NOT safe.

Agreed. Unless you know specifically what breakers to cut, or how to cut the main from the house, don't do it. You'll boil. Like the lobster on your avatar.

BZZZZZZZTTT!

kct webber
04-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Wow, I just noticed that there are three lobsters in here. Is this a lobster only thread? William, did the music stop when we walked in here?

Little Red Barn
04-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Large parts of my town are flooded. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH No contractors will answer their phones this morn. How would they go down there? Don't they put on rubber boots? I've got hubby's boots, knee high, in the garage.

Darn, I've got to get that water out. The breakers downstairs.

reigningcatsndogs
04-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Kimmi, please please please be careful! It's better to wait. Hubby would rather come home to water in the basement than to find you hurt.

sheadakota
04-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Throw your cat down there- if it lives it's safe

(OK- KIDDING!!! I love my kitties- but I just couldn't help myself!)

Little Red Barn
04-04-2008, 05:13 PM
:cry:My daughs cat is down there. She is stuck in one of the storage rooms. I called fire dept., they said, 'Lady we are BUSY> Cat will be fine.' She must be afraid to jump in the water. She is crying--mewing like crazy... :cry:

Mumut
04-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Is there no fuse box outside the house? In Aus there's usually a meter box and it has a master-switch. If you can find that, you can switch everything off. Make sure you have a torch first, though. Perhaps ring your electricity supplier to find out where the switch is, if you don't know.

But as above, don't go into the water otherwise.

William Haskins
04-04-2008, 05:27 PM
William, did the music stop when we walked in here?

yes.

maestrowork
04-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Don't go in. Call flood control or water damage. Your cat will be fine -- cats are very resourceful.

I made a mistake of going in the water because I wanted to shut off the water main. I was lucky.

Water damage and flooding suck. I hope all is well otherwise.

p.s. what's with all the davids impersonation?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-04-2008, 05:47 PM
We're waiting for Silly Friday to begin. :)

Yeshanu
04-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Kimmi, I echo what the others have said. Knee-high boots are not enough--I think the FD and contractors have chest waders or something like that. Have you tried calling the hydro company? Perhaps they can shut off the current going into the house?

Little Red Barn
04-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Kimmi, I echo what the others have said. Knee-high boots are not enough--I think the FD and contractors have chest waders or something like that. Have you tried calling the hydro company? Perhaps they can shut off the current going into the house?
Hubby is on the way home. I've got about 10,000 worth of damage I guesstimating, down there. My city is very busy.. no one's answering phones.

Yeshanu
04-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Tell hubby to be careful, too. Hugs, Kimmi.

Little Red Barn
04-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Thank you everyone! Have a nice Friday.

Komnena
04-04-2008, 08:38 PM
How are things,kimmi?

Little Red Barn
04-04-2008, 08:44 PM
How are things,kimmi?
On hold, here and as you know we have lot's of flooded areas. I almost stepped in the water, almost did, but I saw a light shining over in the corner, a nightlight, a electrical plug I'd forgotten, I'd had installed near floor, water has not reached it yet and I'd had my basement decorated last year and forgot, electrician put new plugs around floor and I can't see in storage room where he put some of those plugs.... It could be worse, just a big mess, so I'm grateful, very. I could have been away on spring break, etc... And other's are worse off I'm sure.

nerds
04-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Do not go in that water, any of you. Wait for professionals. One option is to call your power company and ask them to shut you off for now. I did that once when we had a natural gas leak in the house, our utility will do it but I don't know about yours, you might want to try asking them.

Little Red Barn
04-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Do not go in that water, any of you. Wait for professionals. One option is to call your power company and ask them to shut you off for now. I did that once when we had a natural gas leak in the house, our utility will do it but I don't know about yours, you might want to try asking them.
One sump pump is still running, as I hear it--the other, the main one must be burned out, Oh I pray our electricity remains on or it'll come upstairs. Hubbby is chopping at the bit to get down there. So see I can't get electric turned off as of right now, til I get professionals in.. It'll flood more. :(

Komnena
04-04-2008, 10:24 PM
It's not just electricity that is dangerous. That water could have dangerous chemicals in it. And there is no telling what germs and bacteria are in it.

Jersey Chick
04-04-2008, 10:25 PM
What about calling someone like Public Service? If need be, they can kill power from the outside (I think - I've only ever called them for furnace-related issues)

StephanieFox
04-04-2008, 10:44 PM
It's an urban legend that rubber boots will keep you from becoming a live wire. Don't go down until all the power in the house is off.

The cat will be fine.

When you do go down, finally, after the electricity is off, make sure you have your tetnis shot. If you can't get one before, get one right after. They are good for 10 years, so if you have one w/in 10 years, you are ok.

Jean Marie
04-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Kimmi, do what you've been told, so far. When it's time, FD will pump things out. They'll turn the power off before they even do that.

No time to play hero. The only hero is a dead one.

I didn't get the memo, wait, yes I did. Just didn't change into my lobster suit. Sorry. I only just figured out how to change back out of the silly pink think back to myself and my son :)

Speaking of which, it's almost time to walk the boy. Hope things work out, soon :Hug2:

Mumut
04-05-2008, 08:22 AM
My basement is flooded this morn.

How are you going today? I forgot in my post yesterday to wish you strength to deal with the mess. Best wishes.

Little Red Barn
04-05-2008, 08:35 PM
How are you going today? I forgot in my post yesterday to wish you strength to deal with the mess. Best wishes.
Ackkk. Oh, I'm STUPID. I had a lot of my important things in storage facility because we are building a house and while trying to show this house, I didn't want prospective buyers rifling through my personal stuff etc... So I'd cleaned and boxed my most precious books and all my pictures and children's important letters, report cards, pics etc....

I had hubby take all of it back out of the rented storage facilty in Feb., as I didn't want it to get moldy etc.. from cold n' heat, bring back to house AND he placed the boxes on the floor. Ackkkk, pictures, so many beautiful pictures all gone., letters, And a rare collection of books... hubby lost all his man tools, drills etc...but... and also a lot of rare items, documents when he was on the S.W.A.T etc.. Furniture is pretty much gone as mold etc... wood splitting.

But I'm blessed as things could always be worse, I know. ;)

Thank you for thinking of me.

A. Hamilton
04-05-2008, 08:58 PM
oh dear, I'm so very sorry this has happened to you:Hug2:
but, as someone said above, I'm also glad we're not dipping you in butter right now ;)

one suggestion for you though-if you use any kind of restoration company to help you with the dry out/mold prevention-if there's anything of special value, keep it aside and clean it yourself rather than letting the restoration company decide. we had a disastrous ordeal several years back where a restoration company destroyed (or kept for their own use perhaps) the oddest things, things that could have simply been washed, like my daughter's blanky and some special stuffed animals from her infancy,and the old family bible, etc-but yet returned other similar items. (and shoes, they destroyed all my shoes!)

anyway, best of luck to you.

Little Red Barn
04-05-2008, 09:17 PM
oh dear, I'm so very sorry this has happened to you:Hug2:
but, as someone said above, I'm also glad we're not dipping you in butter right now ;)

one suggestion for you though-if you use any kind of restoration company to help you with the dry out/mold prevention-if there's anything of special value, keep it aside and clean it yourself rather than letting the restoration company decide. we had a disastrous ordeal several years back where a restoration company destroyed (or kept for their own use perhaps) the oddest things, things that could have simply been washed, like my daughter's blanky and some special stuffed animals from her infancy,and the old family bible, etc-but yet returned other similar items. (and shoes, they destroyed all my shoes!)

anyway, best of luck to you.
Those foot festish thieves, eh? Gotta watch out for them! Dangerous!:)

A. Hamilton
04-06-2008, 04:19 AM
it was an orgy of foot fetish thieves-I lost 35 pairs!

johnnysannie
04-11-2008, 12:45 AM
It was my turn for the mess.

Five inches of rain overnight and we had water in our basement. Thanks to this thread, I had a better idea of what to do and especially what NOT to do so thanks to all who provided help without knowing it!

Thump
04-11-2008, 01:02 AM
How's the kitty? Is it still trapped? Could you find like a plank or something like that you could use to bridge the gap between kitty and the stairs without kitteh touching the water?