PDA

View Full Version : The Kill Point

zahra
04-04-2008, 01:22 AM
This will be a short thread, I'm sure, but I just thought I'd let you all know: I have SO found my show of the season!

The Kill Point - ex-soldiers pull a bank heist that goes wrong and results in a hostage situation.

It's on Bravo in the UK, and I don't know how it went down in the US, but I don't remember hearing about it before.

Absoutely brilliant performances and tight, intelligent writing, not afraid of 'issues' but just as concerned about entertainment - cor, blimey. I can tell you that at one point I was hopping about in front of the telly going, 'Shoot him! SHOOT HIM, SHOOT HIM, JUST SHOOT THE BASTARD, YOU USELESS BINT!'

Phew. Have to go and lie down now.:)

nevada
04-04-2008, 03:24 AM
I enjoyed the Kill Point very much. Be prepared to do more screaming at the tv. it just gets better and better.

ChaosTitan
04-04-2008, 05:25 AM
There's another thread about it somewhere, but I'm too sleepy to go looking.

I'm with nevada. I adored the series. It's on DVD here in the US, and I'm looking for a nice block of time to sit down and enjoy it again. :)

zahra
04-05-2008, 12:49 AM
There's another thread about it somewhere, but I'm too sleepy to go looking.

I'm with nevada. I adored the series. It's on DVD here in the US, and I'm looking for a nice block of time to sit down and enjoy it again. :)
Oh, I didn't know there was a thread about this already. But I've already scouted out the DVD on amazon. They had it on here 5 episodes in a row - bliss. It's so good I'm sure they'll have it on terrestial soon.

It gets better and better? Squeeeeeeee!, then, is my considered opinion!

DWSTXS
04-05-2008, 01:12 AM
is it a single movie? or a series?

chartreuse
04-05-2008, 01:36 AM
Wasn't there a show here for a short while that was about a bank heist and hostages called "The Nine" or something like that? Is "The Kill Point" the same show with a different title?

zahra
04-05-2008, 01:45 AM
It's a series, DW. 8-part, I think.

I don't know about The Nine, chartreuse...where's 'here'? The set-up is pretty classic, but it's what they do with it. One paper called it 'Dog Day Afternoon' meets '24'.

nevada
04-05-2008, 03:24 AM
The nine was a series that got cancelled after only a few episodes which was a shame because it was good but I think it got lost. Kill Point is a limited series of several episodes, like a really long miniseries. So it starts and it finishes. The nine just sort of petered out. Also it was a totally different concept. lol

ChaosTitan
04-05-2008, 04:54 AM
It's funny, the first time I heard about "The Kill Point," my mind automatically went to "The Nine" (which was on Fall of '06). I think "The Nine" failed to find an audience, because it was very much a miss-one-ep-and-you're-lost series. You had to pay attention. It followed the aftermath of a bank hostage crisis, with the actual crisis filled in via flashbacks. It was an awesome show, with a great cast.

I'm glad they planned "The Kill Point" as an eight episode limited series. We were guaranteed an ending. Sometimes I wish serialized dramas would use this format more often, rather than risk the show ending on a cliffhanger that never gets resolved.

zahra
04-06-2008, 01:40 AM
I agree, Chaos. Sometimes these series seem to go on forever without resolution; there's something satisfying about knowing there is one coming at the end of the season, but that seems to have fallen out of fashion somewhat. I guess the producers don't want to kill what they hope will be the golden goose.

ChaosTitan
04-06-2008, 08:15 PM
I guess the producers don't want to kill what they hope will be the golden goose.

If they set up the series correctly, there is usually a way to get a "series two" out of it. If I'm not mistaken, isn't this how shows in the UK usually run? A set series of episodes?

Granted, if they chose to do a second "season" of The Kill Point, the cast would be pretty different. And probably the set-up, too, since another heist/hostage crisis would be redundant. But "24" continues to use this format to their advantage. Each season has one overall arc, with four mini-arcs that play out over six episodes. Seasons often end on cliffhangers, but that story is over. A new one starts next season.

I am definitely gunshy about watching any new show that hints at being a serial. They always end up cancelled (Reunion, The Nine, etc...) and we never get answers. But if SpikeTV produces something else like "The Kill Point," I'm definitely there.

zahra
04-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Yes, there is definitely the bias towards 'returners' now, in the UK, rather than just one story that begins and ends. I spoke to some bods at a TV company who liked my stuff a couple of years ago, and they said their remit was going to be 'returning series', rather than what US folk call 'mini series'.

I'm a fan of the mini format, myself. There's too much danger of diminshing returns and shark-jumping if they let a series go on too long. Go out on top, I say - even 'leave them wanting more' - but can't expect the business guys to see it that way any more.