Wacky Wacky Inspiration (not an April Fools thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
In a twisted way, I found the April wackiness 1 here inspirational. To my story, at least. :) The concept of people switching identities must have sunk into my brain. All week, I've been working on the wedding party scene. I had to come up with wacky, naughty, and yes, humiliating games for my MC Moonstone to participate in. (He earned it. :e2tongue:)

I thought of Pin the Tail on the Moonstone plus a game involving blindfolded participants grabbing coins that had been hidden on Moonstone's body. Oh, and as a reward, Moonstone giving pony rides after being transformed into a half-human/half-pony.

But the third game And then during lunch today, somehow it came to me. Moonstone is blindfolded and told to find Mikor (the other MC) in the circle of people dancing around him. Mikor is blindfolded, too -- so he doesn't realize that all the people in the circle have been transformed to look like him. The blindfolded Moonstone keeps grabbing people, then saying "Wait, that's not right, keep moving." Only when he touches the real Mikor does he recognize the real thing. And Mikor finally gets his pony ride. :D

So was anyone else inspired by April Fools around here (or elsewhere)? Or has something (or soemone) else wacky inspired you?

I hope this is the right place for this post. Sometimes I have no idea where a post should go, and then it gets lost somewhere. :cry:

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anne, I was so inspired that I convinced my wife her contract with Boeing wasn't renewed. I seriously thought she might need oxygen, Ringer's Lactate and a drip of D5W.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten inspiration from random things, too. Sometimes it's like a lightning strike and sometimes it's more subtle.

In my first first draft, part of the big confrontation was inspired by an image of my favorite actor from a video game that just happened to cross my mind while I was watching TV and mulling over the problem.

I was also stuck until I forced myself to visualize where a scene took place and realized my character was standing next to a trapdoor. In the same scene, I had put a broken-off bell on top of the bell tower as a random setting detail then figured out a perfect use for it later.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
I've gotten inspiration from random things, too. Sometimes it's like a lightning strike and sometimes it's more subtle.

In my first first draft, part of the big confrontation was inspired by an image of my favorite actor from a video game that just happened to cross my mind while I was watching TV and mulling over the problem.
Oh that's cool. I was once inspired by the way Ian Holm played someone in a movie. :) He helped my character take off.

I was also stuck until I forced myself to visualize where a scene took place and realized my character was standing next to a trapdoor. In the same scene, I had put a broken-off bell on top of the bell tower as a random setting detail then figured out a perfect use for it later.
Visual ... stuff .. is a great visualization tool. I once had to visualize a scene by using action figures -- the Scorpion King and Snape. It really helped me "figure" out how the fight went. :D

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
The biggest random inspiration for me was about seven years ago when I first started trying to write a novel. I had two main characters in mind but was trying to figure out a third character who could act as an antagonist. At the time, I'd just discovered an actor I liked so I searched out other shows where he'd been a guest star and taped them. I remember I was folding laundry while watching one of the tapes, happened to look up during one of his scenes, and thought, "Well, what if he played my third character?"

Since then, that character has pretty much taken over my story universe. :D

ETA: I've also painted Dungeons & Dragons figurines to match my characters, too. Give me an excuse to get more. ;)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
License plate. That's my most wacky form of novel inspiration :D

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:e2thud:

I'll bet you kept her turning the page, though. ;)

The pages of my death certificate and the coroner's report. It's for certain the victim was murdered with a blunt instrument. What we can't determine is how a Mini-Cooper became lodged in his rectum.

Last edited:

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Most of my previous exposure to pirates had been through cartoons and the last third of Verne's The Mysterious Island, but I was inspired to write pirate stories by Captain Feathersword - negatively. My nephew watches Wiggles videos a lot and I was initially irritated at this pirate wannabe! So I decided to tell a tale to my sisters (with the kiddies out of the room, of course) about Captain Feathersword vs. some less than friendly pirates. Just some cheesy pirates with a few quirks, nothing much. Strangely enough, I actually did some minor research for it.

A few months later, I decided to make pixel dolls of them (it's a hobby of mine). As I added details like scars, tattoos, etc., they started to get fleshed out with little T for Teens backstories explaining why they had them. Some weeks later, I realized that these guys needed their own original tales. The results are that I can never show those dolls on the web again, but I had a great idea for a book.

P.S. I eventually got over my irritation at Captain Feathersword. Now I enjoy him for his sheer buffoonery.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.