PDA

View Full Version : You Need the Right Attitude for this business...

Star
04-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Gee-whiz,

Not only is my editor leaving me, but now, I'm still waiting to hear about book #2, and it's past the 30-day contract clause. They've snatched away my cover that I love, and I don't know if this will cause them to slap together any old thing to keep within the deadline.

Dont' get me wrong, I'm totally grateful for my book deal, but I'm now realizing that I need a better way to deal with these setbacks, a better attitude overall.

I guess I'm here to serve as living proof that no matter what stage you're at in writing your book, (agent search, editorial feedback, etc.) please keep that head up, and your thoughts positive at all times. This business is fickle, unpredictable, and there's no need to add drama by your own negative thoughts. Throughout my years of writing, searching, and networking, I've met tons of in-the-flesh editors and agents. And duh, I finally came to realize, they're HUMAN. Their opinions of my work don't define my work.

With that said, don't ever let rejections, requests for revisions, or any other publishing setback get you down. We've chosen a tough career path. No one made us do it. So mosey on down the road, whistling dixie with your head held to the sky. Ya hear me? Think bright thoughts and your days will be brighter. :Sun:

****This has been a perhaps incoherent, unsolicited annoucement by yours truly****

Irysangel
04-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Option clauses sometimes take a bit longer than what is contracted. Mine took 90 days (contracted for 30). Another friend's book took 3 months as well.

I hear this is the norm.

auntybug
04-03-2008, 11:35 PM
That is very sweet...and true.

So as writers - we are, say Grandma in the chair (AKA - kickee)

and everyone else - lit agents, publishers, agents (AKA- kicker)
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb169/auntybug/kickgrandma.gif

But lets keep up chins up people!!

Also a public service announcent - but mine has visual aids :D

Star
04-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Oh my! Is that real? Grandma gettin' kicked??? What, oh what, is the world coming to? :cry:

auntybug
04-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Oh my! Is that real? Grandma gettin' kicked??? What, oh what, is the world coming to? :cry:

She was a baaaad writer :(

Birol
04-03-2008, 11:48 PM
That editors-are-human thing, it's such a downer, isn't it?

Star
04-04-2008, 12:20 AM
That editors-are-human thing, it's such a downer, isn't it?

Naw, Birol. It's an upper, because I used to think of them as Lords instead of folks with flaws. I'll never forget this editor. Met her in person, we even shared a cocktail. Years later, she was given my ms. through my agent. She says my character isn't "cool" doesn't ring true - YET - she wasn't cool when I met her. Very stuffy. So sometimes they're right, sometimes they're not really bright. :Shrug:

Phaeal
04-04-2008, 12:28 AM
That is very sweet...and true.

So as writers - we are, say Grandma in the chair (AKA - kickee)

and everyone else - lit agents, publishers, agents (AKA- kicker)
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb169/auntybug/kickgrandma.gif

But lets keep up chins up people!!

Also a public service announcent - but mine has visual aids :D

Me loves visual aids. You must have a lovely family.

As for the second visual, well, kitten mimes deserve everything they get.

MidnightMuse
04-04-2008, 01:52 AM
*flits in*

... we even shared a cocktail ...

Well there's your issue right there! Next time, buy her a cocktail of her own!

*flits out like a cat in the night*

bluntforcetrauma
04-04-2008, 01:58 AM
Think of a really good joke that involves a butt. You'll smile.

Namatu
04-04-2008, 05:15 AM
That editors-are-human thing
Wait! That's a myth. Don't be spreading rumors. ;)

Birol
04-04-2008, 05:55 AM
Mac's an editor. I'm coming to the end of an editor-gig.

Star
04-04-2008, 05:47 PM
oops! okay, how do you say we partook in having drinks together? my writing skills are off. :(