Middle reader or YA writer's opinions really needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

wurdwise

Banned
Reaction score
Good morning, children's writers! I don't know why it just occurred to me that this is probably where I should have started, but I have never taken the straight road to anywhere before, so why start now? :D

I have been seeking feedback from the writing novels forum, which has been a great help, but I really hope I can get some of you that write the same kind of stuff I am working on to go to Share your Work and give me your opinion on "The Sun Shines on Maddy Weaver-page one only."

I believe an agent or publisher is hooked on the first page or not at all. I would like to think differently, but I don't. So getting this page right is very important to me, well, of course it is, I am almost ready to start sending queries out and am seriously considering throwing in the first few pages too.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you give me.

Denise

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Never, NEVER, "throw in the first few pages" unless the agent/publisher's submission guidelines specifically ask for it. Nothing will get you a rejection faster than not following guidelines. Reason being, how can they work with you when you won't follow simple instructions. If you do include it and it's not asked for, they just won't read it.

Some of them ask for the first five or ten pages, some ask for the first chapter, some for three, and some for queries only. Make sure you pay attention to them, they are important.

wurdwise

Banned
Reaction score
Ok. Could you give me some feedback if I promise to behave? :hooray:

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
LOL. You'd be amazed how many people I've seen who just think they can send whole ms's out, thinking they're the first person to do it. "If I send it, they will read it."

Not that you would do that, but sometimes its advice that bears repeating :)
I will take a look soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.